od[force] Houdini 11 Wishlist

It would be great to have the possibility to create recursive graphs. Perhaps with something like a foreach node. So that you have full freedom to create your own extended lsystem like tools. That would be immensely powerful.

Edited by kgoossens

It would be great to have the possibility to create recursive graphs. Perhaps with something like a foreach node. So that you have full freedom to create your own extended lsystem like tools. That would be immensely powerful.

There is a Foreach SOP in the main Houdini distribution, and you can optionally install the Feedback SOP (run 'proto_install' in a shell). These two together will give you the basic tools to create a process like you're suggesting, I believe.

Unicode support in Font SOP.

There's no excuse for not having it in the year 2010, more so when the application discussed is addressing an international market.

We simply cannot use the Font SOP in copy-stamp setups with strings because it cannot be made to understand Eastern European characters.

Dragos

Hi malexander,

Yes I know of the for each sop. But I don't know whether you can do recursion with it. Referring the node to itself, like you can do in Haskell.

To repeat, install the Feedback SOP from the "proto_install" tools available at the command line. That in combination with the ForEach can do recursion.

There is a Foreach SOP in the main Houdini distribution, and you can optionally install the Feedback SOP (run 'proto_install' in a shell). These two together will give you the basic tools to create a process like you're suggesting, I believe.

Hi Mark, now that you comment it.

How is possible to make the Foreach SOP to work as the clasic FeedbackSOP.

the feedback SOP usually d oevery iteration per frame, whereas the Fopreeach is doing all the iterations you want in one time step, which is diferent.

Is it possible to do it?

How is possible to make the Foreach SOP to work as the clasic FeedbackSOP.

the feedback SOP usually d oevery iteration per frame, whereas the Fopreeach is doing all the iterations you want in one time step, which is diferent.

If you just want to modify the previous frame's geometry, then all you need is the Feedback SOP. The Foreach SOP is simply for iterating over primitives. For the original post of an L-system, I think you'd need to use both together, but you certainly don't have to.

Unicode support in Font SOP.

There's no excuse for not having it in the year 2010, more so when the application discussed is addressing an international market.

We simply cannot use the Font SOP in copy-stamp setups with strings because it cannot be made to understand Eastern European characters.

Dragos

Definitly. The Font SOP/COP need a lot of love.

If you just want to modify the previous frame's geometry, then all you need is the Feedback SOP. The Foreach SOP is simply for iterating over primitives. For the original post of an L-system, I think you'd need to use both together, but you certainly don't have to.

Ok so then this moves me to the next question.

Why the feedback SOP is in the proto install and not in the default SOP operators, when I think is one of the most common tools in all studios.

my understanding of the proto tools is that while they work - they are not tools that SESI feels they can officially support at this time...

This is the point, how is possible that a tool like the Feedback SOP that have been used a lot from H4 is not supported.

I think all the big clients of SESI have their own version of the Feedback SOP, even Martian Labs have benn offering one for a while.

But in Houdini is in the proto install, when in my opinion is so useful, lots a really good fx done in Houdini along the years have used it, and now with the foreach SOP is a really good tandem for iterative/recursive fx.

Yes, you can use the SOP Solver to get the same effect, but I think is much more easier to have a SOP operator.

more control over the environment lights in pbr.

- different maps for reflection and illumination

- controls for the strenght of both

- an exposure control for the maps, I think lowering the intensity of the light has a different effect than changing the exposure with hdrshop

- a lightshader for the environment light, so one can modify it

Edited by sanostol

some attention to VOPs perhaps??

I really believe that VOPs are very powerful, but could we get some more functionalities as nodes??

I really liked XSI ICE's user friendliness as well as nifty compounds bundled up..

it would be great if we could have some assets built up rather than starting from scratch..

Also I kinda liked the fact that we could create and delete points from within the ICE network..something like

this in Houdini could be very helpful ( AFAIK using VEX/VOPs we cant create or delete data inside VOP Networks..please correct me if I'm wrong)

I love SESI and the way they take all the user inputs into account while developing..keep up the great work :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would it be logical to reference a hip file? I mean, it is not very convenient to always make otls, having a single object with it's shaders in a hip file could be easily referenced, and having a much easier workflow. Any toughts?

I still find the otls workflow much more flexible and reliable than workflows based on references.

References are untouchable, for this kind of assets, I prefer to use something like a package, that is: OTLs

Reveal the rest position space in all the regular shaders at the shop level...

Also a shader for wire frames and turn arounds, like mental rays contour rendering. I want to be able to do nice breakdowns.

Control of the Ramp shader at the VEX layer and not just at the shop layer. Allowing you to make presets in the VEX layer and not have to worry about needing to work at the shop level all the time.

Edited by LaidlawFX