All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. How could I emit pyro from particles?

Turn the particles into fuel in order to trigger burn in your pyro sim. I think that would be done through rasterize particle SOP.
  3. I think the importer might need to support that feature. It looks like Houdini and Blender do not. They convert the instanced geometry to actual geometry. What is interesting, is if you load the FBX file using the File node, you get the associated @fbx_location, @fbx_scale, @fbx_rotation of each instance as a point attribute. This means you could locate the named instance items and reconstruct them. Or repack them to get their centers and redeploy. ap_restablish_FBX_instance.hiplc
  4. Today
  5. Not really, I think you can add a SOP solver in your simulation, combine the two with a Multi solver, then use object merge to bring the source geometry into the sop solver and do your further calculations there, just an idea. The Source is pretty intuitive if you dive into the documentations a bit : quote: Impulse creates a certain number of particles each time the node cooks. Constant creates a certain number of particles per second.
  6. POP - Several questions about Impulse Activation

Great idea there, but to get the source @ptnum I would need to connect a Wrangle or VOP with Pop Source as input 0 and Pop Object as Input 1, and Houdini does not seems to let me do that (Connection to input 0 is the wrong type). The Impulse Activation and globally the Birth pannel is completly incomprehensible to me, even after seeing a few tutorials. I think I'm going to do a lot more tutorials before trying to achieve something by myself with POP Solver.
  7. I have two monitors side by side, with different resolution. The main monitor has the higher resolution, and this is where I usually start the ladder drag. Unfortunately, it creates this area on top the secondary monitor, over which the cursor jumps, and once it comes back on the monitor, the value has been altered as if it was a functional area of the monitor.. So the value jumps as is the cursor was dragged along the second monitor. I wonder if there is a way to mitigate the problem..
  8. for loop in vop issue

You are doing the correct thing, but the result it not that visible after so many iterations. To check your "blur/smooth" after so many loops, open the geometry spreadsheet panel, and you'll see that the point positions are still changing after 3 loops. You can also verify by replacing the pig head with a 3x3 grid.
  9. Hi, This is a test export from 3dsMax. The Tubes are instanced. I can export them as fbx file and import them back into 3dsMax while preserving the instances, since fbx format supports instancing. Is there a way to import the fbx file into houdini and preserve the instancing somehow? I know instancing in houdini works very different, and with that example geometry it looks like it doesn´t make a lot of sense. But i also have to import more complex machines from CAD data and there it would be nice to have for example all screws still instanced. kind regards jon instance_3.FBX
  10. I want to do a for loop inside vop to update surface points position several times, it seems it always stop work at loop counts 3. Can anyone kindly open the file and take a look what I'm doing wrong, trying to figure it out all night with no luck forloop.hiplc
  11. Yesterday
  12. SHOUT OUT & Thank you to David CGMK: we have a new Houdini video posted by author David CGMK on our CGCircuit tutorial website, so if you were looking for a great "Intro to Terrains for Games in Houdini and Unreal" tutorial - check it out!! ; )) and thanks David CGMK awesome work! http://bit.ly/2jRl7ss
  13. Hello. Ive been struggling with this scene for a while and ive exhausted myself trying to figure this out. I would like to make a door explode, and leave some of the fractured door swing on its hinge. I would possibly like to destroy the rest of the house later. Ive been self studying for a while, and i understand how the constraint network in dops works, how glue and soft constraints work, but im unsure how to approach this effect. I think im doing the right thing in SOPS, but im not getting the results that i want. I understand adding the active attribute to the featured geometry to make an inactive area as well. I would like to do do somethging similat to this video with the door swinging by the hinge, as the remained of the door remains fractured. Look here https://www.sidefx.com/products/houdini/whats-new-17_5/ the video is at the "interactive RBD constraint" section. Some of my issues are; Why does the geometry fall when the sim starts? I understand that Glue is on/off, but i still have it fall once the sim starts. (not including the inactive area) How to constrain two objects? If i would like the wood frame to be glued to the wall, how can i do this? Is it just a matter of drawing lines (RBD constraints from lines) to connect the objects together? Ive also tried using geometry as constraints, with 0 luck as well. Should i just use an animated bounding box to make the area "active", and then have the sphere break the door? Or is there a way to have the door break, only where the sphere collides with it? I am familiar with DMM in maya, and im not sure if animating a passive/active region is the way to go, or is there a better method? Odforce_hinge_scene_zipped.zip
  14. Select area of mesh bounded by edge loop

You are indeed a master. This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks so much!
  15. Select area of mesh bounded by edge loop

Edgecusp will split your mesh in two parts.Then choose the icon "select groups or connected geometry". Alternatively use connectivity and delete by class number or measure area. LOOP.hipnc
  16. LYNX | Free & OpenSource VFX Pipeline Tools

Hey guys, just a quick update on the tools: All Houdini Assets now have complete Houdini native documentation available. LYNX_fabric has a new LYNX_fabric_color node to control the color/Alpha/width attributes in a layered based fashion. LYNX_fabric_resample (LYNX_fabric_thread uses this heavily) is up to 10 times faster & LYNX_fabric_weave up to 70% Full install instructions are now available on GitHub . The download is now also only via Github and not via my website anymore. Various bug fixes & performance improvements on LYNX_force_general, LYNX_fabric, LYNX_velocity.
  17. How do I skin connected curves?

Hi @anim thank you for the reply this does get me 90% of the way there! However, is there a way to then get rid of these edges that are causing little triangles so that i can more easily select my connected edge loops? Thanks again!
  18. Flipbook

its in the Render dropdown menu, that by default says Current Viewport
  19. How do I skin connected curves?

you can try using PolyExpand2D SOP instead of Skin SOP
  20. Redshift Proxy Workflow in Houdini

Hi, has anyone tried this with VDBs? I’m getting a crash every time I try to export a VDB to .rs.
  21. How do I skin connected curves?

Hi all, I have a more comlex issue to solve but have essentially boiled it down to not being able to skin a curve that splits off like the T junction shown below. How would i be able to skin the curves shown whilst maintaining the flow and connection of the curve? Thank You all SkinningCurvesProblem.hip
  22. Drops with dynamics

As Tomas sad, you should create custom force around each grape, attracting you particles to the surface
  23. UV Flatten distorted plane

I have posted a RFE which is now implemented. Thanks SideFX UV Relaxation of existing UV islands is now a feature of the UV Flatten node when "Preserve Seams" and "Preserve Layout" is turned on in Houdini 17.5.319.
  24. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills and this shouldn't be so difficult? In Blender there is a function “Select Loop Inner-Region” where once an edge loop is selected, it will select the smallest area of the mesh completely bound by the loop (or alternatively the opposite, larger area if you select to do so). I've been trying to figure out how to do this in Houdini? Attached is an image of an example scenario. Essentially, if that is an animated mesh (so no point re-ordering or position-based approaches), is there a way for me to select one half of it based on the selected edge loop? Also, I would prefer not to do a timeshift/point-deform approach just to have an area selected, I'm just looking for a way to select and group part of a mesh based on a surrounding edge-loop.
  25. Great, glad it worked. What I'm thinking now if you have Impulse emission, it will spawn a number of points each time it cooks, so essentially every frame. Somehow if you could add an attribute which would be the point number from where the particle spawned. Check if that point number exists on more than one particle spawned meaning there is more than 1 point spawning and delete the excessive points you won't want to use? https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/18697/?page=1#post-87850 have a bit of a read in this topic, maybe you can find anything, I'm at work at the moment so I'm a bit constrained to what I can do for you unfortunately!
  26. POP - Several questions about Impulse Activation

Thanks for your answer! 1. Yep! I changed it from "All points" to "Points", now it works. Thanks! 2. I had this problem because I used a modulo 20 on the impulse activation (meaning particles would only birth once every 20f begining on F20). It looks like a pretty sloppy technique to me. What I'm trying to achieve is to birth 1 particule from each point every nth frame. 3. I figured it out earlier with a pointVop inside a solver (if age == 1 on previous frame, I bind export the attributes from the previous frame).
  27. Houdini 18 Wishlist

Before I want to write down my wishes I have to say that I love sideFx and Houdini over all other major 3d packages. I am quite sure sidefx is already working on it but Mantra GPU and more artistic friendly tools and gadgets for animating characters would be great (for example improved viewport performance). In case Houdini will push mashine learning I am interested in solutions to upres simulations.
  1. Load more activity