All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Best/Fast approach for car wreck look (no sim needed)?

Thanks Andrea, I got your idea until using volume gradient Not sure If I understand that correctly, meaning: If I have a VDB and a mesh, should I boolean them? or use volume gradient then boolean?
  3. SDF from density in Dops

It'd be cool to hear from the source, but here's what I figured out fog_to_sdf_dops.hip
  4. For sure you can setup the main bending to be procedural and introduce more subtle details in the same spots with noises. Do not use just noises. In my previous experience with some "procedural destruction" (not with cars) I noticed that I got the best results by instancing a couple of objects with different scale on the surface (spheres/cubes with a low frequency noise), transforming them to very low resolution VDBs and using volumegradient to control the displacement of the surface. This way I was getting consistent and smooth deformations (no intersections). Later on, with a couple more nodes I've added a variation in the noise to the various main parts (in your case for example to the doors, body of the car ...). This last steps introduced some cracks that was very helpful in my case. Never tried with metaballs, maybe they are better If you have a lot of "extra" objects and details in your car, you should consider to create some sort of proxy geometry, deform this one and transfer back the deformation to the original car. It's going to be faster to deform and probably cleaner. Thank you! I would like to make it again someday, I had no idea what I was doing at the time
  5. Ring pyro burst

Hey @3dome Thanks a lot for the tips! I was getting crazy playing with the density source and tweaking the custom velocity with no luck. Playing with these parameters now seem to fix that density artifact. Thanks guys!
  6. Ring pyro burst

Hey caskal, seems like it has to do with a bit of fuel remaining down there and since there is still temperature high enough to ignite it you get a little bit of smoke. Increase the burn rate to 1 and it should be fixed. Edit: you could also play with the Ignition temperature, in this case raise it. Both methods will change the sim a bit, didn't compare it or anything but would guess that increasing the burn rate has less of an impact. Yet the temps you source into the sim are also quite high, so combustion happens quickly meaning overall temp in container will rise fast and "compensate" for the increased ignition temp. It's just some voxels of fuel will not be ignited instantly anymore but a few frames later (depending on the temperature released from combustion obviously)
  7. Copy from a random Seed

Well I found the solution ! I've just created a second point wrangle after my loop and linked the seed of my new PW on the old PW (the one in the loop) and then randomize the seed of the new...
  8. Today
  9. Run Python with system environment variables

you could use import sys sys.path.append(path to you python site packages) to use all installed modules. If that is your goal?
  10. Greetings! I am currently creating a digital asset in which I want to be able to create x amount of folders with the exact same options. The thing that differs is the source file path for each folder, but the same settings/options will apply. My question is; How do I keep the references of the inputs in each folder so it corresponds to the same index of the folder? If that makes sense..
  11. SDF from density in Dops

Maybe the master himself? @Pazuzu
  12. SDF from density in Dops

In this article: https://www.gridmarkets.com/alejandro-echeverry Alejandro describes the process of doing a pyroclastic smoke simulation. And he says: "Because we need a signed distance field to better compute the necessary fields, I did convert the density field to a SDF representation." But I can't figure out how to do that.
  13. Best/Fast approach for car wreck look (no sim needed)?

Thanks Andrea I have a huge set of cars and the goal is to test whether it's possible to produce their wreck automatically, hence cannot sculpt manually. I am trying metaballs and so far they produce better results than just turbulence/anti aliased noise (but still sometimes, they produce intersecting pieces!). Another idea is to create deformers with metal like deformation (this is step is manual though), but then apply these deformers anomaly ! will see BTW, I've seen your car crash shot on youtube and it looks awesome
  14. Hello! Maybe you can try with manual sculpting of the damaged parts and then add on top the noise (I think I would go with worley and antialiased). You can also get extra details with the shader and painting cracks. Doing a real simulation would be cool but between geometry preparation and setting up the simulation, you risk to lose a lot of time.
  15. Hi; In uv-fllaten what are pink islands? Thanks.
  16. Ring pyro burst

Hey @Atom Attaching hip file, would be super helpful if you take a look, been struggling with this for 2 hours. For the velocity, I did a curve, polyframe N > vel. Didn't use gas curve force. I tried some stuff like: Using negative sink as velocity with no luck. Adding more dissipation affects the overall smoke but not that density artifact Checked all fields separatedly to see if some weird stuff was staying there Adding more res to both container and vel particles with no luck, also tried taking off the gasresize Deleting particle source, playing with velocty modes and stopping density Thanks! ring_density_issue.hip
  17. Ring pyro burst

It's hard to say, without seeing the hip file. Are you deriving velocity from normals? Some times, the last point on a path can go astray. That last point of the circle, may have a normal pointing in the wrong direction, thus causing the velocity to head off in the stray direction..? If you are using a Gas Curve Force, once it reaches the end of the path, it continues in the last known direction.
  18. Its missing because you dont have the 'v' attribute on the incoming geometry.
  19. Ring pyro burst

Hey @Feather thanks for the advice, did that and i think is getting closer. Now I'm trying to figure out some weird density that doesnt follow the curve after the explosion Any thoughts on what can be causing this? @Atom thanks for the good ol' wiki help, gonna check that now. Cheers!
  20. Trying to set up a simple VDB collision with rotating 'fan' geometry. My issue is I am missing point velocity in my VDBFromPolygons SOP. No point.v available under Surface Attributes. What is the simplest way to resolve this? collision_VDB_missingVelocity.hiplc
  21. I wrote an article that is probably only of interest for the .1% It is a crash introduction to HDK, C++ and the mesh laplacian. https://mbaadsgaard.com/portfolio/laplacian-eigenvector-plugin-for-houdini/ Feedback is, of course, also welcome
  22. popdrag - slower particle in selected radius

Hi Michal, the LYNX_force from the LYNX VFX Toolset can also do this, but more user friendly/interactively with customizable falloffs, see this video for more info. You can grab it for free here: https://github.com/LucaScheller/VFX-LYNX Cheers, Luca
  23. All the powerfull and magic of houdini, few line written to do what other software will do with addon or more hassle, and with less flexibility. If you are confused and intimidate but these vex lines, i could tell you that if you start learning houdini in a proper way from the base, this will look totally natural to you very quickly in fact
  24. I prefer to achieve this through mantra,I made some attempts,But external objects do not show the feeling of being illuminated internally.Do you have any good suggestions for this? If there is, then I will be very grateful.
  1. Load more activity