All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Polygon mesh from grains?

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.
  3. You can Always get the redshift demo to learn a bit and see if it can fit your FX needs. The demo is fully functional. Just renders with a watermark.
  4. well since it's your one and only post so far, I would say post your file because: - it shows your genuine effort in doing things yourself - it saves other ppl having to try and mock up a file that magically matches your scenario. - you don't come off as a parasite treating this forum as a free air tasker website, you know....wah wah wah..I want this and this and this and no, you're not allowed to look at my file..but you are supposed to give me a fully working file.........for FREE.... yeah ppl might say I'm rude, abrasive....what ever....can't be bothered with those comments anymore. So if I see you struggle with whatever task at hand (ie. your file), then I'm more inclined to help. (don't stress, lots of ppl here are friendly, me i'm just usually grumpy)
  5. Polygon mesh from grains?

particlefluidsurface ?
  6. Polygon mesh from grains?

How do you turn a vellum grain sim into a polygon mesh? I feel like there has got to be a simple way of doing this, but all my googling has turned up solutions requiring building polygonal geometry in VEX. That seems like overkill for just a simple use case. Thanks for your help!
  7. haha well thanks! I guess I was hoping that getting a 32 core or 64 core CPU with lots of RAM would be good for CPU rendering. Now I really regret not getting the RedShift sale the other day, it was 350 instead of 500 for the initial license fee. I guess I made a big mistake? I could use Octane, it's just when I apply to jobs in 18 months, I thought I should be able to say I am experienced with a renderer common in production . I seriously always make the wrong decision.
  8. Bullet Pieces stuck in air as inactive (SOP-Solver)

here's the closest fix I can get to your orig setup. The crucial bit is the delete small parts. Who knows what you did with volume/pscale before the stash...well...only you would know but toggle the delete small parts on/off and you'll see. debug_coalpp_drop_0001_fix2.hipnc (I'm clutching at straws here...but it could be because some of your geo are minute...that size/mass approaching Zero causing these to be treated as inactive...hence delete small parts remedied it)
  9. Bullet Pieces stuck in air as inactive (SOP-Solver)

here you are, works. I sped up my testing with gravity set at -99.8, you reset it to -9.8. Wouldn't bother with your custom set active debug_coalpp_drop_0001_fix.hipnc (it's something to do with your volume/pscale !)
  10. Yesterday
  11. All of them are legitimate options, that's why you've heard of them If you're going to render on a single computer for personal projects, GPU rendering might not be the bad idea, albeit it will cost you some mental health. Also, you don't have to choose the best one, just good enough.
  12. Bullet Pieces stuck in air as inactive (SOP-Solver)

don't quite know but if I create one from scratch...it just works. So could be some funny buggers going on pre stash vu_RBD_test.hiplc
  13. pnoise: remapping output values

I need a simple noise that loops over the course of five (or however many) seconds, moving the @P.x of the points on a line back and forth, and so I'm using pnoise. I would like to give it precise min and max values (I want things to be able to bump against each other but not intersect), which would be easy enough with a fit, but I haven't been able to find it's precise output values in any reference. Over the course of 120 frames the output appears to be 0.5-centric and it goes between 0.22398 and 0.800649, so it doesn't appear to be an even +/- any obvious value like 1 or 0.5. How can I find the actual minimum and maximum outputs for pnoise so I can make sure it hits zero (or 1) at its extremes? I've tried periodic noise in a point VOP but that seems very unwieldy. I know Unified noise can loop and is always 0 - 1, but it has a whole lot more to it than I need to deal with. (Plus I just want to know how to do these things in VEX). The only output value reference I've been able to find is that aanoise is -0.5 to 0.5 and unified noise is 0 - 1. If it makes any difference, here's what's tucked in my point wrangle (reference parameters on an outer master null): int offset = prim(0,"id",0); float roughness = ch("../MASTER/roughness",0); float frequency = ch("../MASTER/frequency",0); int period = ch("../MASTER/period",0); float noisemult = ch("../MASTER/outerNoiseMult"); float noiseval = pnoise((@Time*frequency)+offset, @P.z*roughness, frequency*period, 0); @P.x += (noiseval * noisemult)-(noisemult/2); //the noisemult/2 is to get them back to 0-centric Thanks!
  14. I wish there was an easy way for me to make the right career choice in what renderer to invest in for practicing rendering sims. Some people say renderman, some arnold, and now you say that 3Delight is actually a legitimate option. I'm so lost. I guess I'm just glad I didn't pull the trigger on Redshift, bc CPU seems like it will be optimal for my needs once my new computer is built.
  15. Noise type value visualization

I've done a snippet like this... but with a menu it's better thanks
  16. In addition to clearing out any existing bad data from a failed install, you should also check you have the latest supported drivers for your graphics card as well as hardware that meets SideFX's published specification requirements: https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/
  17. i m still new to Houdini its been a month now, and I have hit a wall I m Currently trying to animate a character walking on sand and I want to use the Characters Geometry to activate the Grains. Problems: 1. I tried Importing an FBX Character and using its geometry as a source to activate the Grains....not working 2. I tried Importing an Alembic Character and using its geometry as a source to activate the Grains....still not working On either Case the grains continue to fall they do not SLEEP....... Please advice on best practices or please refer to tutorials
  18. Houdini 19 Wishlist

i dream about an overlaid network view atop 3d viewport for several years! it would save so much screenspace. something like animatrix did it:
  19. vellum orientation constrain freaking out

thanks, I was able to get it working. MY setup was very specific, I had to attach branches to an already animated "core"
  20. Hello, I'm currently struggling really bad with completely unpredictable behaviour of the Bullet Solver and am completely out of ideas with how to debug it further. I'm having a large structure fall into a sinkhole and my current test was just about letting the whole thing drop to the bottom. Now what happens is that certain pieces just get stuck in the air and it seems that no amount of attribut cleaning can fix this. I've had this happen earlier in this project, but also faced it on previous ones very arbitrarily. Currently it's stopping any progress, however, hence this cry for help. This is one of the cache-dailies, without constraints, that demonstrates the issue best: This is a screenshot: (((Ignore the ground, it's a seperate sim and just serves as a backdrop here, not affecting the sim, the whole structure SHOULD just drop straight down))) If I glue the pieces together, the thing just sticks in the air and only the bottom rows fall: I cleared all attributes on the input geo, on the constraints, rebuilt the constraints from scratch, all the same. Has anyone else come across this? I tried on 18.0.460 and the latest 18.0.499, completely clueless. Could this be a bug? It seems so arbitrary. This is the setup in it's simplest form: Same thing happens, the whole thing just gets stuck in the air as soon as the pieces are connected by the constraints. The constraints are setup with the default configurations of the RBD tools, the attributes on those are nothing out of the ordinary. I can't seem to be unable to upload anything but screens here, so I put it here: https://gofile.io/d/g6XdaY Thanks for any help, Martin
  21. 3delight is heavily used in production, and I dare to claim it's probably the *best renderer on the market these days. They are just not big on marketing nor advertising (and never were). * - considering price/quality/versatility ratios. All mentioned will be faster than Mantra. The difference will be small or big depending on a case.
  22. Hi, I just wanted to try arnold, but when I try to render it seems to not find "driver_houdini.so" , altough it is in the arnold plugin directory. Can someone tell me how to fix this? I'm on centos8. 00:00:00 103MB WARNING | unable to load dynamic library /root/htoa/htoa-5.3.0_r233605f_houdini-18.0.499/htoa-5.3.0_r233605f_houdini-18.0.499/arnold/drivers/driver_houdini.so: libHoudiniUT.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 00:00:00 103MB ERROR | [ass] line 26: node "driver_houdini" is not installed 00:00:00 104MB WARNING | rendering with watermarks because the skip_license_check option was enabled 00:00:00 118MB ERROR | [aov] output references a non-driver node: /out/arnold1:iprsocket 00:00:00 118MB ERROR | [aov] output references a non-driver node: /out/arnold1:iprsocket 00:00:00 118MB ERROR | [aov] no valid output statements found: could be a progressive render without a display window 00:00:00 118MB WARNING | failed to launch bucket workers: received abort signal
  23. Hi peeps! Anyone with some experience with the guidedeform sop? I am trying to interpolate an original groom within some sim curves. Around the 10% of the original groom was simulated... And either is exploding or taking all my RAM.....kinda lost here...
  24. Noise type value visualization

Hopefully this is helpful to others. Small snippet to visualize the different noise's. I have not put them all in, but if you feel inclined please add more and reply-post. You will need to create the menu (as this does not seem possible in VEX and has to be done via the parameter interface? and a 100x100 grid as input. // // Houdini Noise visulization - Curtis // int NoiseMenu = ch("NoiseMenu"); // Create a Ordered Menu "NoiseMenu", In the "Pram Interface", //Token, Lable ... // 0 vnoise // 1 wnoise // 3 flownoise // 4 curlnoise // 5 xnoise // 6 random // 7 alligator float frequency = ch("frequency"); float rough = ch("roughness"); float atten = ch("attenuation"); float jitter = ch("jitter"); int turbulence = ch("turbulence"); int flow = ch("flow"); int seed = ch("seed"); //Noise data vector vp0, vp1; float output1=0; float output2=0; //No Case stament in VEX ... elseif it is.. if ( NoiseMenu == 0 ){ //vnoise VEX function //Generates Voronoi (cellular) noise. vnoise(@P, set(jitter, jitter, jitter), seed, output1, output2, vp0, vp1); } else if ( NoiseMenu == 1){ //wnoise VEX function //Generates Worley (cellular) noise. wnoise(@P, @P.z*frequency, output1, output2); //general noise } else if ( NoiseMenu == 2){ //snoise VEX function //functions are similar to wnoise. output1 = snoise(@P, turbulence, rough, atten); } else if ( NoiseMenu == 3){ //flownoise VEX function (soft) //Generates 1D and 3D Perlin Flow Noise from 3D and 4D data. output1 = flownoise(@P*frequency, flow); } else if ( NoiseMenu == 4){ //curlnoise VEX function //Computes divergence free noise based on Perlin noise. output1 = curlnoise(@P*frequency); } else if ( NoiseMenu == 5){ //xnoise VEX function //Simplex noise is very close to Perlin noise output1 = xnoise(@P*frequency); } else if ( NoiseMenu == 6){ //random VEX function //Generate a random number based on the position in 1-4D space. output1 = random(@P*frequency); } else if ( NoiseMenu == 7){ //anoise VEX function //Generates "alligator" noise. output1 = anoise(@P*frequency,turbulence, rough, atten); } //Output to 100x100 grid as colour @Cd = output1;
  25. patreon.com/posts/38913618 Subdivision surfaces are piecewise parametric surfaces defined over meshes of arbitrary topology. It's an algorithm that maps from a surface to another more refined surface, where the surface is described as a set of points and a set of polygons with vertices at those points. The resulting surface will always consist of a mesh of quadrilaterals. The most iconic example is to start with a cube and converge to a spherical surface, but not a sphere. The limit Catmull-Clark surface of a cube can never approach an actual sphere, as it's bicubic interpolation and a sphere would be quadric. Catmull-Clark subdivision rules are based on OpenSubdiv with some improvements. It supports closed surfaces, open surfaces, boundaries by open edges or via sub-geometry, open polygons, open polygonal curves, mixed topology and non-manifold geometry. It can handle edge cases where OpenSubdiv fails, or produces undesirable results, i.e. creating gaps between the sub-geometry and the rest of the geometry. One of the biggest improvement over OpenSubdiv is, it preserves all boundaries of sub-geometry, so it doesn't introduce new holes into the input geometry, whereas OpenSubdiv will just break up the geometry, like blasting the sub-geometry, subdividing it and merging both geometries as is. Houdini Catmull-Clark also produces undesirable results in some cases, i.e. mixed topology, where it will either have some points misplaced or just crash Houdini due to the use of sub-geometry (bug pending). Another major improvement is for open polygonal curves, where it will produce a smoother curve, because the default Subdivide SOP will fix the points of the previous iteration in subsequent iterations which produces different results if you subdivide an open polygonal curve 2 times in a single node vs 1 time in 2 nodes, one after the other. This is not the case for polygonal surfaces. VEX Subdivide SOP will apply the same operation at each iteration regardless of topology. All numerical point attributes are interpolated using Catmull-Clark interpolation. Vertex attributes are interpolated using bilinear interpolation like OpenSubdiv. Houdini Catmull-Clark implicitly fuses vertex attributes to be interpolated just like point attributes. Primitive attributes are copied. All groups are preserved except edge groups for performance reasons. Combined VEX code is ~500 lines of code.
  26. Vellum apply motion force, issue...

Hi, "Tesan" Yes, I used the same workflow, but as I said, the problem is: the force that I have created works just at the starting of the simulation.
  27. Thanks so much! That is exactly what I needed.
  1. Load more activity