Differential curve growth

none

Thanks for sharing that one Dan!

Here is the letter T as the food source. Drop down some UVs after creation and dial in the scale XY for the UVTransform. Follow that up with a tilable tech displace map and you get Orgotech or Technorganic.

Untitled-2.jpg

Here is another image using the Mantra Skin shader.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Atom
  • Like 3

Not my work Atom - though I love you believe I'm competent enough to create that setup. :D

That being said, if you have the coral letter model, you could probably tweak a setup like this to create a similar type of deformation.

Edited by Farmfield
  • Like 5

I somehow always wanted to achieve a thinner version of the coral growth and finally succeeded today after some hints in the comments on this video:

So I extended my old Entagma-based setup and replaced the resample node with a remesh and fiddled quite a long time with parameters but finally got it working - one major hint was to add some minimal noise to the points to get it out of the 2D plane.
To not have it paper thin I added a poly extrude and 2 subdivisions. Mantra was too slow for me so I once again exported to Thea Render:

CoralGrowth.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.  

I'm having some trouble getting shading to work on parts where growth is happening if I use a "WIRE" node on only a group that contains the effected area.   If I don't use the wire node I'm able to use multiple shaders assigned by group. Any tips on how to get multiple shading assignments to work when inserting a wire node?  

Any help is much appreciated.

Growth Morph Dev.png

Growth Morph Dev Dual Shade.png

• Like 3

On 10/30/2016 at 4:15 PM, TobiasSteiner said:

Hi guys.  

I'm having some trouble getting shading to work on parts where growth is happening if I use a "WIRE" node on only a group that contains the effected area.   If I don't use the wire node I'm able to use multiple shaders assigned by group. Any tips on how to get multiple shading assignments to work when inserting a wire node?  

Any help is much appreciated.

Growth Morph Dev.png

Growth Morph Dev Dual Shade.png

No one has ANY idea at all???

I'm pretty sure the wire SOP applies it's own UV mapping and that might be what's throwing it off..?

And I think the lack of response is about you not posting a scene file, from what you've said so far, it's a bit of a guessing game what is going on in the scene. If you have stuff you don't want to share, you can work around that by using a null at the end of the setup, though before the wore node, then right click and lock it - then you can delete anything accept for the last part and the shaders, so we at least have something to go on, troubleshooting this thing. :)

1 hour ago, Farmfield said:

I'm pretty sure the wire SOP applies it's own UV mapping and that might be what's throwing it off..?

And I think the lack of response is about you not posting a scene file, from what you've said so far, it's a bit of a guessing game what is going on in the scene. If you have stuff you don't want to share, you can work around that by using a null at the end of the setup, though before the wore node, then right click and lock it - then you can delete anything accept for the last part and the shaders, so we at least have something to go on, troubleshooting this thing. :)

Excellent point regarding the file share.  It's attached now.  The base template is the Houdini to Arnold Basic Studio setup I made to share freely from my website so if you don't have Arnold when opening it you'll need to create Mantra lights, shader, and render node.

Growth Morph Wireframe.hiplc

• Like 1

On 4/21/2016 at 6:19 AM, janderfischer said:

Hey there, 

I was asked to add my solution to this awesome thread so here it is. 

It's rather simple, check the hip file if you like. Theres a vector "self" (pointing away from the spline itself) added to all points, and a vector "surf" pointing towards points densely scattered on the collision geo but only added to points that got pushed outside of the volume. Finally another vector "straight" is added pointing to the center between the previous and the next point, effectively damping the bending. 

Finally I should note that the very last step of the solver is a wrangle that has an animated lerp between the previous' and current frame's shape to safely control the speed of the whole thing in one parameter. Without that it would fill the whole thing in a max of 40 frames and then slow down harshly, but it was too late to tweak the forces and I wanted to render it :)

Cheers!

BrainGrowth_v001.hipnc

Love it!

Edited by mossawi

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2016 at 9:25 AM, TobiasSteiner said:

Excellent point regarding the file share.  It's attached now.  The base template is the Houdini to Arnold Basic Studio setup I made to share freely from my website so if you don't have Arnold when opening it you'll need to create Mantra lights, shader, and render node.

Growth Morph Wireframe.hiplc

Has anyone had any luck with this?  I still haven't solved the issue.