and rightdoing
there is a field.
I'll meet you there."

Rumi

One of my favourite quotes ever...

RumiFieldLines.thumb.jpg.51ab8dedc7c913a0500900318501ed48.jpg

And an organics version:

RumiFieldLines_Organic.thumb.jpg.1ecc9a67056e524fd353269360dcc11d.jpg

Both created with a custom solver in Houdini 17.5 & rendered in Redshift for High-Rez printing at 18000x12000 (https://www.artstation.com/thomashelzle/prints).

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Radiolaria II"

I'm currently learning Blender for modelling after totally failing to enjoy manual modelling in Houdini for years now and really love it.

Also I found the "Tissue" plugin to be extremely cool for pattern based design. So this is modelled in Blender 2.81, then imported into Houdini 18, further evolved and rendered with Redshift:

Radiolaria_Tissue_v003.thumb.jpg.972d1a61f82c93f727b2e2b8bbbda4c4.jpg

And with a bit more oooophf:

Organics_Radiolaria_Tissue2Ektachrome2.thumb.jpg.fa51a29ffb178ef519f8176582548ff8.jpg

Both are mostly direct renders with Redshifts PostFX & LUTs.

Cheers,

Tom

And now for something totally unrelated to Houdini :-)

I recently started to finally get into Blender after looking at it for almost 20 years and thinking "it's almost there but..."
And now it finally is (for me at least).
2.8x is amazing and especially the modelling part is really great. I love designing with subdivision surfaces & edge weights and missed this since XSI went belly up. Houdini - with everything I love about it - just isn't really made for manual modelling, the tools feel extremely clumsy to me and the whole workflow is weird. The procedural tools are more in the way than helpful and relying on point numbers really isn't a good way to deal with groupings or edge selections in this case.

So Blender to the rescue and it really is great in this regard, very fast even at SDS level 3-4 in the viewport, good modes for dealing with working on the cage or the SDS directly, edge creases work very well and are easy to work with. 
I also like Cycles. It's really fast with my two GPUs and shows great quality - would love to have it in Houdini actually, way more than Karma... ;-)

So yeah, if the Houdini modelling tools don't convince you, give it a try. Back and fourth works well with Alembic, and USD is in the works already. VDB too...

Some recent fun things:

Torriander.thumb.jpg.853456c9e31cf21e33c0b12cbb6b3c62.jpg

SoundSphereDOF.thumb.jpg.cd582c4112ee4cfdde0666efc3945495.jpg

So yeah, Blender 2.81 & Cycles.

Cheers,

Tom

My first program was Lightwave 3.5 on Amiga and still today I found that modeling its something like personal preference (easy way or if you know ( but actually, not understanding ).  Numbers Don't Lie :wub:

You are right Thomas Blender its fantastic, Moi its fantastic, Zbrush its everthing, Alias pih,Catia oj,Rhinoceros  oj oj ..3dMAx uuuuu...Truespace Calgary mmmm..Groboto ooooo...Cinema wauuu..Maya like Candy..Softimage Best..and and

it's Discutable :ph34r:

mod.thumb.jpg.40449906eacf9dc38d72425c071f80aa.jpg

really amazing Houdini and Blender work.  there is a thread on a Cinema4D forum about blender 2.81, there have been a number of defections from C4D by long time users. some like myself left for Houdini others to Blender. there are a number of reasons for the defections. those who left for Blender are loving it, some are finishing off their paid C4D work and learning blender to switch over. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 26/01/2019 at 1:30 PM, Thomas Helzle said:

Have to catch up with some more images I did in the meantime :-)

TwistedPleatsCloth.thumb.jpg.0529a786c5e98a958cabe2690a245527.jpg

Above image is a test what would happen if I applied Vellum to the Twisted Pleat image on the previous page...
Not totally up there but quite interesting nevertheless... :-)

I then further played with this idea:

TwistedPleat_v003.thumb.jpg.6679670892a9eca72915329b09ee83fd.jpg

I emphasised the outlines by rendering a copy as strands (all Redshift as usual).

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom, how are you doing?

Tryin to achieve the same look but no idea how to start. Can you please give me a clue?

You rock, thx

IIRC it was a plane that I formed into those ridges and afterwards several bend deformers overlaid.

I'm not doing any 3D for a year but making music and creating wood sculptures and other "real" things instead, so can't help you further, my licenses of Houdini and RS actually ran out recently...

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle