Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

On 2/11/2017 at 8:23 AM, JDee said:

Overlay network view right on scene viewport option B)
And just one hotkey to hide/unlock it...

HD17.jpg

I asked for this but Mark (mtucker) doesn't like it. Touch designer has this also. It comes down to maximizing real estate space if you have only one screen like a laptop.

• Like 2

Declare expressions null and void. Every parameter can changed, tweaked, driven , accessed, modified just by drop down options.

Also Cd = Color, N = Normal, P = Point position ( is that what P is ? ) in the VOPs network ... Please

:wacko:Don't kill me

On 2/22/2017 at 2:53 PM, Thomas Helzle said:

+1

Yeah, that feels rather silly. Houdini has so many nodes already, duplicating them multiple times for no good reason is the wrong way to go about it. I no longer bother with the "different" wrangles for a while now and just stumbled upon the multiple copy nodes in 16, which I find confusing instead of helpful.

I don't think it will help newbies either, since one of the major hurdles IS the sheer number of nodes. Finding out some of them are actually the same makes one feel rather more confused than enlightened...

Cheers,

Tom

... Except for the kitchen sink nodes: Facet and Divide. The functions in these nodes are so undiscoverable, IMHO. 

I would still live a true Tesselate function, and a Dice function (based on Mantra's dicing, adhering to the Measurer strategy). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

... Except for the kitchen sink nodes: Facet and Divide. The functions in these nodes are so undiscoverable, IMHO. 

I would still live a true Tesselate function, and a Dice function (based on Mantra's dicing, adhering to the Measurer strategy). 

Yeah, sorry, I wrote this directly after opening H16 for the first time and didn't understand the new copy node structure right away.  I'll edit the post to make it clearer.

I meant to mostly refer to the multiple nodes that are just aliases like the wrangles and things like that.

A general go-through to make nodes have names that make more sense and a clearer target usage is a good idea, even if it breaks some tutorials. Otherwise we would be stuck with the old and bad forever ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

4 minutes ago, Thomas Helzle said:

A general go-through to make nodes have names that make more sense and a clearer target usage is a good idea, even if it breaks some tutorials. Otherwise we would be stuck with the old and bad forever ;-)

I will also nominate the node to create a volume from geometry, of course called "IsoOffset".

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nisachar said:

Also Cd = Color, N = Normal, P = Point position ( is that what P is ? ) in the VOPs network ... Please

This can be changed in the preference menu, Edit- Preferences-Network Editor, Nodes and Trees, and toggle on Show full input and output names on vop nodes.

1 hour ago, LaidlawFX said:

This can be changed in the preference menu, Edit- Preferences-Network Editor, Nodes and Trees, and toggle on Show full input and output names on vop nodes.

I wanted to also say that, but I checked, actually nisachar is right, it does create descriptive names for all the other inputs, but not for Cd P and N.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaidlawFX said:

RFE it!

Could it be they changed it to reflect that they are attributes, rather than intrinsic geometry values, like ptnum?

If that is the case, it actually does make sense in the way, that you should approach most things in Houdini as attributes,
and that it doesn't matter at all what they are called,except for the stuff that is "hardcoded" to be used for instancing matrices and rendering: P, N, up, scale, pscale, orient, etc.

10 hours ago, eetu said:

I will also nominate the node to create a volume from geometry, of course called "IsoOffset".

Doesn't VDB do everything this node does now?

10 hours ago, acey195 said:

Could it be they changed it to reflect that they are attributes, rather than intrinsic geometry values, like ptnum?

If that is the case, it actually does make sense in the way, that you should approach most things in Houdini as attributes,
and that it doesn't matter at all what they are called,except for the stuff that is "hardcoded" to be used for instancing matrices and rendering: P, N, up, scale, pscale, orient, etc.

Position, Normal, and Color are all handled very special in Houdini. i.e. P can only live on the point level, N there can only be one variable at any level named this and the same with Cd as they are all system reserved words with special handling. Similar to ptnum, however, with that preference option, the expansion of P should clearly be Position for what it stands for. It's long name does not stand for anything else, lol until i get corrected again, lol, like i did previously. But even with ptnum, vtxnum, numpt, if they were expanded it would be point number, vertex number, max number of points. Which is what i assumed happened to all variables. Whether or not there is enough screen real estate for those longer variables is a far different opinion i have, lol.

opt+drag a node is super nice, so it would be rad to be able to opt+drag into different networks. Would really feel like a file browser then!

21 hours ago, marty said:

opt+drag a node is super nice, so it would be rad to be able to opt+drag into different networks. Would really feel like a file browser then!

do you mean drag a node from one network to another (of the same type)?

copy/paste works, and each network type has it's own clipboard.