Houdini 16 and Nvidia drivers on linux

art3mis

Just a heads up

Spent a couple days troubleshooting, without luck, even with SESI support to get H16 to launch.

Running latest Ubuntu with latest Nvidia drivers 378.13

Solved the issue. Downgraded my Nvidia driver to 375.39

arrrgh Nvidia drivers.

If admin is reading this please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum to benefit others

Edited by art3mis

@Atom that is most likely due to your AMD processor - the error reads that the built-in CPU openCL doesn't support it. This isn't anything to do with the topic of Nvidia and Linux.

Edit: it would be great if you started a new topic with this issue as the new AMD Ryzen processors are looking super and we want Houndini to be able to run on it! Thanks!

Edited by tar

I was able to resolve my issue by installing the latest nVidia drivers. I choose the Custom option then checked the box for "Clean Install". This fixed my problem and now I can bring up the terrain via the tool.

Edited by Atom

The 378 driver issue seems somewhat Linux-distribution specific. I'm running 378.13 with a Quadro K5200 without issue, but another user with the same driver/GPU combo had it crashing on a different distribution.

Nvidia's driver team has hit a rather rough patch for the past 6 months or so. There have been a lot more regressions than usual.

1 hour ago, malexander said:

Nvidia's driver team has hit a rather rough patch for the past 6 months or so. There have been a lot more regressions than usual.

Someone probably left the team or someone new took over work from someone else. It's amazing how much hinges on just a few people in software and technology companies.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:11 PM, marty said:

@Atom that is most likely due to your AMD processor - the error reads that the built-in CPU openCL doesn't support it.

Windows doesn't inherently support OpenCL so you have to install software to use it. AMD provides an OpenCL runtime for their processors in one of their SDK downloads. This is might be a moot point if you have a GPU that also supports OpenCL.

http://developer.amd.com/resources/articles-whitepapers/opencl-and-the-amd-app-sdk-v2-4/

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

@georgeivan Probably worth emailing Support - Linux and Windows should automatically use an OpenCL CPU device and seeing that Atom's didn't, and, he has an AMD chip I suspect you will need to install the AMD CPU opencl drivers. 

Edited by tar

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been waiting weeks for this weekend so I can finally play with H16 and no fun for me :/ Windows 7, Geforce GTX580, newest drivers, AMD Phenom processor with the drivers lukeiamyourfather mentioned - I still get errors. In previous Houdini versions OpenCL was working (but didn't increase speed a lot). I cannot use the new terrain tools and stuff. Even if I edit the .env file as Atom did it doesn't help. I've attached a screenshot - just a quick comparison of "about" section in H15.5 and H16.

Geforce GTX580 supported OpenCL 1.1 but it in "platform/profile version" it says 1.2. Or maybe I'm out of the game and need a new card...? :/

h16 error.jpg

Edited by loogas

5 minutes ago, edward said:

Make sure that you're NOT using the 376.XX drivers (which have known problems) but on the 378.XX drivers. After that, try the lastest H16 DAILY build.

Thanks - I'm on the newest drivers (378.78) and it seems the daily build is the same as the one you download from the main link (16.0.504.20).

Linux version doesn't help on Windows, but thanks for that - it shows Linux version are more up to date ;) Yeah - I'm thinking about installing Linux (Mint). Last time I've used it was about 10 years ago :D 

Edited by loogas