Houdini 18 Wishlist

Alexey Vanzhula

I am new to Hounini 17 and i would like to see if possible to make this houdini 18 :

- GPU Render and attempt to Redshift like renderer

- UV Mapping more advanced for control

- Nodes custom based on scripting system or Nodal "scripting" ?

- Clouds generator controlled by scripting

- Support to 3D Modeling modeled and controlled by Python

- AI for character animation

- Hair Curves controlled by python (one curve or more for "group for hairs" as collision, braid, spiral, node, sharp, etc)

- 3D Paint for creating crownd as folks, cars, or other objects for static or dynamic with scripting support if possible

- PolyMorph : 3d transformation to other 3d transformation as support smoke to 3d object, water to 3d solid object, shading fx to 3d object (color, material, shader etc), fracture to 3d object reconstruction, etc

- AnimationMorph : muscular modification due to virtual bones, facial expression with muscular, no-linear for multiple morph to several 3d objects modified, support with PoyMorph

On 3/8/2019 at 11:05 AM, threedslider said:

I guess they will appreciate any type of wishlist but it's not fair to request features without checking if it is already there :)

- GPU Render and attempt to Redshift like renderer

I second that. If mantra in the FUTURE would support GPU, it would be neat :)

- UV Mapping more advanced for control

Would be nice to understand what do you mean by that? like what kind of ? any examples?

- Nodes custom based on scripting system or Nodal "scripting" ?

- Clouds generator controlled by scripting

- Support to 3D Modeling modeled and controlled by Python

- AI for character animation

- Hair Curves controlled by python (one curve or more for "group for hairs" as collision, braid, spiral, node, sharp, etc)

- 3D Paint for creating crownd as folks, cars, or other objects for static or dynamic with scripting support if possible

- PolyMorph : 3d transformation to other 3d transformation as support smoke to 3d object, water to 3d solid object, shading fx to 3d object (color, material, shader etc), fracture to 3d object reconstruction, etc

I think ALL of above should possible today. Some would require little bit of work (it may be not 'out of the box') - but if you are asking for 'scripting', you probably should be technical enough to give it a crack yourself :)

Edited by tmdag

33 minutes ago, tmdag said:

Would be nice to understand what do you mean by that? like what kind of ? any examples?

I mean if it is possible to make as Modo from UVEdit advanced ? It is interactive and powerful to manipulate.

I think ALL of above should possible today. Some would require little bit of work (it may be not 'out of the box') - but if you are asking for 'scripting', you probably should be technical enough to give it a crack yourself :)

Great ! Thank you, so i will study by scripting to make it all worked :)

In general very happy in the direction everything is going. As a generalist that moved 100% over to Houdini I would love to see working in the viewport keep being improved. Shift drag to clone/instance objects. Same with modelling. Select edges, shift click drag to pull out new polys etc. Thumbnails on all nodes in the material networks would be great, especially on composite, color corrects etc.

• Like 2

Ok here is my wishlist:

- Rendering 

• A better faster volume shader that implements latest developments.
  • Mantra gpu that utilizes RT cores.

- Coding

• More love for arrays in VEX (linear algebra functions like numpy, eigenvectors etc. ).
  • A decent, autocompleting, variable aware vex window. 
  • Documentation of houdini glsl functions. And maybe a small masterclass on custom shaders.

- Viewport 

• Hydra.
  • Viewport with a realistic atmospheric scattering model (with Rayleigh and mie scatterings, shadows etc). 

- Misc.

• Terragen 4 style cloud builder. 
  • Voxel sculpting 
  • Upgrade to Optix 6.0
Edited by sergio

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.03.2019 at 1:49 AM, vhalldez said:

Well, Symmetry in houdini is Mirror,  it have too oon Edit Sop.

Symmetry is when you select components symmetrically, when you split polygons symmetrically, etc. Even with mirror option turned on in the Edit SOP, sculpt mode, for example, destroy symmetry information. But Sculpt SOP works well in this case. All this means that Houdini does not have usable symmetrical modeling.

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula

How about a progress bar when Houdini is performing some sort of calculation? I'm sitting here for over an hour waiting for Houdini to calculate a Boolean shatter, and I have no idea if it's literally 30 seconds away from finishing or 30 hours.

I guess maybe this is an instance where PDG would help?

My first post here.
But we have to get started, right :)

Non linear animation timeline editor like Maya Trax, Blender NLA editor or C4D Motion mode.
Characters tools are great. There is really a gap here.

Or may be I miss something ?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea. a workflow convenience that would save me clicks would be an option to open containing folder from the file cache Geometry File field. Or even better would be a delete cache button on the File cash node. I often find myself needing to clean up intermediate simulation files from my file system. And i think to myself i with there was a delete button.:D

On 10/10/2018 at 6:08 AM, neokovago said:

an escape button, which stop the cooking INSTANTLY. sometimes i (and i know others as well) switch up the copy node inputs and run out of ram.

How about a progress bar when Houdini is performing some sort of calculation? I'm sitting here for over an hour waiting for Houdini to calculate a Boolean shatter, and I have no idea if it's literally 30 seconds away from finishing or 30 hours.

From my meager understanding of computer science this is an impossible feat. As in there's no function that can predict when another function will finish. And knowing when a process or subprocess will complete is necessary to know to successfully halt it.

I figure getting instant stopping would require an additional hook on every function in the software that waited for additional user input which would then slow everything down. Also a progress bar would require Houdini to know how long a function took, but how would it know without doing it first?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

On 11.3.2019 at 3:35 AM, Tronotrond said:

In general very happy in the direction everything is going. As a generalist that moved 100% over to Houdini I would love to see working in the viewport keep being improved. Shift drag to clone/instance objects. Same with modelling. Select edges, shift click drag to pull out new polys etc. Thumbnails on all nodes in the material networks would be great, especially on composite, color corrects etc.

So much yes! 

I cant believe this is not possible, because you can even alt-click and drag to duplicate nodes in the network view. It is really annoying, Houdini already has more than enough features for modeling, but that such a shift-drag clone is missing in viewport is what slows things down and is what keeps it unattractive for any sort of modeling. Please submit an RFE if you havent yet, i have already done so while back. 

Mantra more competitive against third renderers
 - Mantra faster as Arnold, Vray, etc... in bucket mode. 
 - Mantra GPU 

On 04/10/2018 at 11:26 PM, sebkaine said:

- COPS on steroid + UI enhancement of all CC tools Hue Curves / Curves / Histo 

+1

Edited by gaia