Houdini 18 Wishlist

Alexey Vanzhula

It would be fantastic if the developers taught Houdini to scroll through the lists with the mouse wheel while hovering, as it is implemented almost everywhere. It’s one thing when we choose from 4 chamfer modes, and it’s another if we choose the most appropriate font from the huge list of fonts.

• Like 3

I wish that all the common functions in the different languages from vex to hscript to python and such where linked in the documents. So the matrix help could do a link to the other languages. See in : hscript, expression, vex, python, vops, etc...

• Like 2

Invert options in Group Sop

Lots of selection presets - edges, points and prims. I am slowly collecting interesting ways to get selections but a list of them I can quickly jump through, the better. 

Extended Presets - organization, tool tips, color code, collapsible categories.

Group auto creation for all modeling operations.

Auto delete interface parameters that are no longer used. Or a “clean” command?

let me move more than 1 point at a time for a curve. 

Rendering:

- +1 for some sort of improvements for Mantra

- Using the principled shader I don't like that much that the "Base color" influences the applied textures. In my opinion it shouldn't be a mix but the textures should override it.

Others:

- The possibility to modify the color of parameters label using a color palette. It would be easier to show which parameters are more important and need to be changed/have been changed

- I have recently discovered the power of COPs but while Houdini is the most stable program I know, with COPs crashes quite often.

- The possibility to decide in the preferences if, when we use the shelf tool, DOP networks or nodes are created in a new geometry node or inside the same SOP network.

- Improvements on the general look of volumes simulations. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

these are more like small changes instead of a wish, im putting it here since i know devs love wishlist threads

--in linuxmint tessa cinnamon, middle click ladder causes crashes.
--implement the "cluster" attribute in pyrocluster workflow.
--have an compensate dopobject transform in sopmergefield and gasparticle to field
--clear caches using python
--cooperation between dop wrangles and copydata dop
--findattribvaluecount vop's output is "elemid", should it be "elmcount" ?
--primuv vop is labeled "Primitive Attribute" which i easily confused with importprim vop.
--"embed icon in operator" should not darken the icon, it doesnt if the extra file is done manually.

-- remake game of thrones finale... does sidefx have that kind of influence?

Edited by willow wafflebeard
to add a joke
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, luoqiulin said:

is it possiable to animate houdini riged character in houdini engine? i tried the simplemale hda in maya, the controler can't be selected or animated,the parameter is animaterable,but very slow.

Houdini's handles are implemented on a per product basis. So Maya does not have them, but Unity does. They can be implemented, but there probably hasn't been a large request. Also Houdini supports more handles types than most 3D programs so there is a bit of picking and choosing on what you want to be integrated. Generally when it comes to Handles studios implement their own custom variety.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/maya/

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_handles.html

• Like 1

GPU mantra

GPU sparse smoke solver.  Like the one this guy made

Some love to the CHOPs animation tools, for non-animators (ie: spring, jiggle). Ways to make it easier to procedurally (group?)  effect only certain parts of the incoming data. More control and options to fine-tune when using spring, etc.

Edited by loudsubs
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

- gpu rendering for mantra and bake texture rop

- split mantra render mode to render integrators like prman or render kernel like in octane

- build a mantra PBR integrator that can only run precompile shaders for faster rendering

- add a mantra post process node for custom LUT / Bloom / camera fx like in octane / maxwell

- ability to output uv snapshot with the bake texture rop directly

- new UI / interaction paradigm for manual task like modeling / uvlayout / sculpting / paint weight / blendshape / grooming / deformer

- nodal / inline code GLSL shader tool to control the shaders and lights in the openGL viewport 

- openGL viewport LUT to match Unreal / Unity display 

- controlable GLSL viewport postprocess grain / vignette / bloom / LUT 

- perfect matching beetween mantra render and openGL preview, translation of VEX noise to their GLSL counterpart

- display shader preview from external render engine in the shader palette 

- cops on steroid

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 3

Siggraph comes near and some tiny information have been released. Did some one see that houdini will have a build for python 3.x? Have seen on vfx platform that python 3.x is set for 2020 but for 2019 preview builds could be relased. 

At the moment i play with some ML and python 3.x is manatory and to make a bridge to python 2.x is not so funny for learning. 

Before I want to write down my wishes I have to say that I love sideFx and Houdini over all other major 3d packages.

I am quite sure sidefx is already working on it but Mantra GPU and more artistic friendly tools and gadgets for animating characters would be great (for example improved viewport performance).

In case Houdini will push mashine learning I am interested in solutions to upres simulations.

• Like 1

This is a script coded by a friend :

https://berniebernie.fr/wiki/Houdini_Python

I think it would be great to have something like this by default on Houdini, in order to get a previz image of a certain part of  the node graph. It could be very useful when sharing setup between people for complex FX / Rigs / Lighting setup.

kuc1PnO.gif

• Like 4

SideFX it's time to to show some love for COPs . :D
It would be nice to have fixed the instability and the slowness of COPs, and also have some nice low level tools.
COPs could easily compete with Substance Designer for procedural texture creation, especially when Allegortmic is not caring at all about their substance plugin for Houdini. There's opportunity here.

Also, it would much  welcome to have better parameters UI.
There are lots small improvements to do in this regard: like being able to decide how to justify the parameters, unified alignment, better labeling systems, etc
I want the controls of my Digital Assets to feel modern and to be space-efficient.

• Like 3