Best Linux Distribution for Houdini ?

mpd71

hello guys 

1 : which best linux distributions for houdini ?

Debian , Ubuntu (Kde plasma Ui -Kubuntu ) , Kde neon , Pop-Os , Linux Mint 19.3 

I don't like rpm packages distributions 

like CentOS , RHEL , Fedora , Suse

2 : which is one file systems for read cache , and getting cache and generally for houdini 

Im using Ubuntu 19.10 But not good 

I like KDE Plasma UI

My specs : 

Cpu : Intel Core i9 9900K

Main : Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X

Ram : Corsair 16*2 32GB 3200Mhz

VGA : Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming

SSD : 2 Samsung Evo 860 500GB 

Thanks Your Help

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, mpd71 said:

1 : which best linux distributions for houdini ?

Debian , Ubuntu (Kde plasma Ui -Kubuntu ) , Kde neon , Pop-Os , Linux Mint 19.3 

I don't like rpm packages distributions 

like CentOS , RHEL , Fedora , Suse

2 : which is one file systems for read cache , and getting cache and generally for houdini 

Im using Ubuntu 19.10 But not good 

I like KDE Plasma UI

the answer is inside you :)
Deb based and KDE Desktop Enviroment ;)

by the way I used Fedora (at home) in this time and I found good, but I use/used Linux Mint/Kubuntu. For my experience Kubuntu is a good solution and Mint is more user friendly, there aren't a "best solution for" there are only the best solution for  you because more in Linux is "how you feeling with it". Some my friend love Arch and some hate it, some love Linux Mint and some love POP_os... etc...etc...

Remember if you love a KDE like Desktop Enviroment is only the addons and you can install all DE on all distro of linux (for example I have Fedora Gnome, but I install by terminal KDE without problem).

Have a good day
Matteo

I am using Houdini on Ubuntu, and quite frankly, I don't experience any "noticible" difference in using Linux over Windows. If anything, you loose options with Linux, because some software tools that you might want to use with Houdini run may only on Windows or Mac. There is also the added frustration of dealing with Linux based installers that require knowledge of command codes that you may have to look up on the internet. You could easily waste a day or two, trying to get something to work when on Windows, you simply run an installer.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:01 AM, Atom said:

I don't experience any "noticible" difference in using Linux over Windows

That's not why people use Linux. As an individual user there are few benefits like more privacy, more control, and less bloat-ware. For a studio there are many benefits related to scalability and flexibility that Windows either can't do or does terribly at like...

• Hugely scalable and high performance parallel file systems like Lustre and Gluster
  • Powerful configuration management tools like Salt, Puppet, Chef, and Ansible
  • Integrated support for enterprise hardware like high speed network adapters and disk controllers
  • No silly artificial hardware limitations on the number of processor sockets or quantity of memory
  • Full control over any aspect of the operating system like automatic updates and desktop interfaces
  • Ability to automate just about anything that happens on the machine

I'm not saying people shouldn't run Linux as an individual. There are lots of good reasons to run Linux as an individual. Just saying that it's not faster.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

back to the question at hand:
i am using Houdini on Linux Mint 19 and it runs nice and smoothly. 
Would never go back to any other OS. 
but as ususal, there is no objective answer to this question. 

Edited by fuat