Alexey Vanzhula

Hi Fred

Glad you have made some progress.

Alexey has mentioned elsewhere that some of the tools are not working correctly with the current version of houdini 18(eg.set flow).  He has indicated he will be releasing a new version of modeler in a few weeks which should correct the bugs.

Mal

the zone menu is called with the Z key. with the new version, there is a smaller zone menu. it is now splitted. press P, J, Q and so on for the others. press space for a list of the most commands. (but of course you must press "Edit Mesh" button in the modeler menu.

Thanks Andy, I'll try the smaller Edit Mesh menus.

I guess what I'm looking for is the older style with the Zone Menu setup (page 20 in the Modeler manual).  Maybe the manual was just pasted from an earlier version, since there is no menu on the shelf to hotkey to, per the instructions.

Screenshot_16.jpg

15 hours ago, Howitzer99 said:

Thanks Andy, I'll try the smaller Edit Mesh menus.

I guess what I'm looking for is the older style with the Zone Menu setup (page 20 in the Modeler manual).  Maybe the manual was just pasted from an earlier version, since there is no menu on the shelf to hotkey to, per the instructions.

Screenshot_16.jpg

this must be from the old version. by the way, you can extend the menus yourself, which is handy.

It's actually from the Modeler 1.0.4 manual, must be included by mistake.

Thanks, I'll see if I can create my own menus.  I like the idea of having a larger subset of the tools in a single menu, instead of my full-screen menu invoked with the space bar.

Overall, the tools are quite handy, a bit cryptic, but has helped with some modeling tasks I've had recently.  Hopefully the menus will be enhanced in future releases, as well as the documentation, and updated tutorials.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

It looks like any upgrade from DM2 still costs $100. Too bad. I guess that was why there was an asterix next to "free for DM2 owners".

you are wrong. update from DM1.0 and DM 1.5 to Modeler 1.0 costs $70. But now, during quarantine, it costs $30

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 1:06 AM, mald said:

modinstr.txt

Hi Fred.  Try reading these instructions and see if they help.  Any queries please ask.

Mal

I followed your install instruction (thanks for typing them out) but I get error on Houdini startup. I have attached screen shots of the error and my Houdini.env file.  I get the error if I have quotes or not around each statement

houdini env file.png

modeler load error.png

Edited by bobc4d

***********  Edit - I didn't realize that his instructions in the txt file specifically had you format the env file like this: HOUDINI_PATH = "$HOUDINI_PATH;&;$MODELER_PATH". Iif what I said is incorrect for this particular addon, my bad, I apologize. If so, just disregard and do as the instructions said. I have yet to even try this addon out since I bought it. I will test it on my end.

If that is the case, in the file I added below, change it to this instead:

{
	"env": [
		{
			"MODELER": "C:/Users/PATH/TO/modeler/"
		},
		{
			"HOUDINI_PATH" : 
			{
				"value": "$MODELER/",
				"method": "append"
			}
		},
	]
}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the $HOUDINI_PATH from the HOUDINI_PATH and have the & at the end.

HOUDINI_PATH=$MODELER_PATH;&

PYTHONPATH is (I believe) the only one in which you want to have PTPATH = $PYPATH;$OTHERSTUFF;

Even better yet, don't modify the houdini.env file at all. In your Documents\houdini18.0\  create a folder called "packages" if it does not exist, and in there add the modeler.json file I have attached. Then open it and change "C:/Users/PATH/TO/modeler/" to the actual path to your modeler folder. This allows you to put the modeler folder somewhere else, remove it from your houdini.env and saves a lot of trouble and confusion.

Modeler.json

Edited by MostHated
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

removing $houdini_path took care of it, it is working fine now.  thank you very much.  

Very good. I just tested out my other recommendation using packages to make sure it worked as well. I expected it would, but I wanted to be sure. Using the modeler.json I attached above, and putting the actual modeler files in a different location (I keep them all in a separate addons folder on a faster drive) works just fine as well as you can see the modeler shelf in the image below.

So it just comes down to personal preference. I like to keep everything separated out in to their own packages and keep my env file clean.

t8REw0u.png

Edited by MostHated
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get your .json file to work whatsoever and I am not sure why.

Here's what my file looks like:  

{
	"env": [
		{
			"MODELER": "/Users/kays/Library/Preferences/houdini/18.0/MODELER"
		},
		{
			"HOUDINI_PATH": "$MODELER/"
		}
	]
}

And yet I am getting this error when trying to access Modeler from within Houdini:

5e9e1f76ab691_ScreenShot2020-04-20at3_13_42PM.png.91d33ab8d1d44664f1248ca7c5fc4d07.png

Any help would be most appreciated!