swirly lines catching object moving

caskal

Hey magicians,

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to make something like this, idea is having some lines that came from back and try to catch the airplane flowing around it with a nice flowy motion:

odforce.png.efcfa3e0d2f72c6666d6252fbcfd6a23.png

So far I tried having some pop emitter at the back, and using attractor / collider to get the particles flow in that direction, with no luck.

I also did some manual curves to use with curveforce but i'm trying to make it more procedural, avoiding manual curves.

I also played a bit with find shortest path, wich is the closest, but wanted to make something in pops to get more flowy movement.

Here are some frames of what I get with shortest path:

Any thoughts or ideas will be super helpful, feeling stuck here.

Thanks!

Edited by caskal

On 1/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, caskal said:

Hey magicians,

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to make something like this, idea is having some lines that came from back and try to catch the airplane flowing around it with a nice flowy motion:

odforce.png.efcfa3e0d2f72c6666d6252fbcfd6a23.png

So far I tried having some pop emitter at the back, and using attractor / collider to get the particles flow in that direction, with no luck.

I also did some manual curves to use with curveforce but i'm trying to make it more procedural, avoiding manual curves.

I also played a bit with find shortest path, wich is the closest, but wanted to make something in pops to get more flowy movement.

Here are some frames of what I get with shortest path:

R08_9_R2.thumb.jpg.aecbcb186b3b79e1660abe9b7e882126.jpgP_R3_Trails_11.thumb.jpg.37a6b9e4a49ab37b50b82e9458220f31.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas will be super helpful, feeling stuck here.

Thanks!

Can you not combine shortest path an Pop, feed your pop with the the first ones and play with that? Not my speciality, just a thought...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips!

@Librarian what version of houdini are you using? im on 17.5 and the pop network reads like a merge node (so cant see the anim), any thoughts?

KNy6kNmKIY.thumb.png.4d28356dad6fb45e805f5828ebe14486.png

@vinyvince indeed! that was the plan B if I can get there, so draving some curves will be the best option for art directing, thanks!

Cheers

Another attempt. Once a particle comes in contact with the collision surface, it uses a volume sample to fetch the direction to push @P.

float vs = volumesample(1,0,@P);
if (vs<0){
    // Yes we have collided.
    vector vg = volumegradient(1,0,@P);
    @P+=vg*0.01;
    i@group_collided = 1;

}

plane.gif

ap_pops_avoid_sort_of_013020.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Thanks 1

Its more in how people use the tool, since its werry complex and maybe not that intuitive i want the ability to update the tool. I also want to present it in a way that people can see how its used. When it comes to the code, i offcourse loose all control, unless its a blackbox, but thats kinda unfair. 

But i have made an example using pops that can be further built on, and that have the same core principals.

flowcurves.gif

popcurves_01.hiplc

• Thanks 6