Jason

Random link of interest

Guest tar

Cycles 2014 reel - Blender's renderer

Those are amazing photos.  Thanks for the share.

Yeah. Normally I'm not a fan of ALL CAPS, but it's fitting here :)

• Like 1

SMz8pts.gif

Any info available on this one? Artist's name? Technique?

• Like 1

Any info available on this one? Artist's name? Technique?

Not really, I kinda like to keep guessing and deconstructing.. :)

This is the source footage, though: 

• Like 1

Not really, I kinda like to keep guessing and deconstructing.. :)

This is the source footage, though: 

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean...Is it some kind of personal experiment /work of yours?

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean...Is it some kind of personal experiment /work of yours?

Ah apologies, I was perhaps a bit cryptic there. No, it's not mine and I have no idea whose it is or how it was done - which is part of the appeal, it's nice to try and deconstruct how it maybe was done..

Guest tar

Mari Shader Library - Depth SSS Prototype

Very cool demo. Does that mean we might also have a GPU option for the Python SOP? :)

Also how are they able to do everything on the GPU for sims? I thought certain operations had to be done on the CPU, which is why we don't have Pyro, Smoke, FLIP working 100% full on GPU, right?

Does that have to do with their algorithm selections? Because I remember seeing those terms in Houdini options too.

• Like 1

Guest tar

Very cool demo. Does that mean we might also have a GPU option for the Python SOP? :)

Also how are they able to do everything on the GPU for sims? I thought certain operations had to be done on the CPU, which is why we don't have Pyro, Smoke, FLIP working 100% full on GPU, right?

Does that have to do with their algorithm selections? Because I remember seeing those terms in Houdini options too.

It sounds very hardware/cuda specific, no cpu fallback - meaning your customers have to use a Nvidia card. Fine if you have it....

It sounds very hardware/cuda specific, no cpu fallback - meaning your customers have to use a Nvidia card. Fine if you have it....

Customers? This is ILM's proprietary software, they are nvidia's customer. Or are they planning on selling Plume?

It's very impressive stuff and I think they are pioneering the way forward. A productivity increase of a factor 10 is providing them with a big competitive advantage.

I can only imagine when an artist leaves ILM and no longer has access to Plume -- it must not be the greatest feeling.

I don't know of anything on commercially available on the market that does what Plume does, but whoever goes that route could make a lot of money.

• Like 2