Digital pyrotechnics

almatea

Some shots with explosions, tank shots, destroying effects that I created for "August 8" russian movie in mainroad|post vfx company.

This all was made with help of Houdini microsolvers system.

Edited by almatea
  • Like 1

great work

extremely realistic

thank you!

what approach did you use for rendering? pyro or custom shader? envlight or shadowmaps? scattering?

Environment lighting with HDR lightmap and custom shader based on billowsmoke for reduce light samples.

Environment lighting with HDR lightmap and custom shader based on billowsmoke for reduce light samples.

This is true great looking, congratulations! I assume this was micropolygon rendering and not PBR, right?

The movie does look cool:

Wow! Very nice work, almatea! I'll have to check that movie out, it looks like fun :)

What sort of voxel count and simulation times did you have for the large fluid sims?

I'd be curious to see how much faster they might be with Houdini 12 now ;)

Wow! Very nice work, almatea! I'll have to check that movie out, it looks like fun :)

Thank you!

I'd be curious to see how much faster they might be with Houdini 12 now ;)

A part of simulations was created with Houdini 12 beta

Very impressive!

Thank you!

How much re-timing of the simulations did you have to do?

Or did you rely no substeps to get the real fast moving explosions?

Or none of this and build the quick evolving behaviour? Particles?

Most of my simulations was created without retiming. Always I tried to get result with one true simulation with substeps or with only one step. Ofcourse I used particle systems for emit some fields and etc.

But I has one unstandart situation - there was several shots with slow-motion (imitation of rapid movie) explosions. I created retime solver for slowing of explosion : ) So hav a cache of standart simulation and give this to my retime solver to achieve longer sequence.

Edited by almatea

Really nice work!!!

Thank you!

What type of interpolation did you use with the fields cache in your custom retime solver?

Thanks

Linear interpolation. I just use type of advection same as original simulation and iterate with small timestep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's jsut mind-blowing.

The looks of the smoke is great, I really love it at 00:11>00:16 as well as the bright smoke around the tank later on. I guess there's some "real" smoke in the shots as well or am I totally wrong ?

It's jsut mind-blowing.

The looks of the smoke is great, I really love it at 00:11>00:16 as well as the bright smoke around the tank later on. I guess there's some "real" smoke in the shots as well or am I totally wrong ?

Thanks! There is only computer smoke and some real smoke inside original sequenses in few shots.