Houdini 16 Wishlist

Are better viewport shadows possible? Closer to mantra.

plus, plus on that Marty. You'd think with all the effort SiedeFX put into advancing to the OpenGL 3.x viewport that we would have "next gen" shadows and game quality viewport features but all I get is blocky junk for shadows in my viewport.

Edited by Atom

Hi, my wish, well ever since starting to begin to learn Houdini as I've already started to ask many newbie questions on the forum, to understand Houdini workflow.  

My wish is, well, I'm not as well versed as some of you in Houdini so the only thing I wish for is more tutorials.  Recently I saw a really beautiful animation whereas water was flowing over rocks and the rocks looked realisticlly wet, it was something I'm not ready to do yet, but I'd like to know the generalization on how it was done.

When a wish comes to my head, I'll post.  :)

Hi, my wish, well ever since starting to begin to learn Houdini as I've already started to ask many newbie questions on the forum, to understand Houdini workflow.  

My wish is, well, I'm not as well versed as some of you in Houdini so the only thing I wish for is more tutorials.  Recently I saw a really beautiful animation whereas water was flowing over rocks and the rocks looked realisticlly wet, it was something I'm not ready to do yet, but I'd like to know the generalization on how it was done.

When a wish comes to my head, I'll post.   :)

well for tutorial here are some new and older ones:

up to date:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=247&Itemid=403 

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=256&Itemid=412

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=248&Itemid=410

old but still gold :D :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=202&Itemid=361

right side there are much more!

houdini tricks: 

http://houdinitricks.com/

peter quint a lot of tutorials: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadDnwVUjIgXmq9XeLV05wQ

there are a lot of older tutorials when you have trouble to follow whit the newest houdini you can also download the older build so it's simpler to learn.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208  (need to be logged in)

have fun.... so next months are booked out for learning houdini :-)

btw. some good post's from old and gold oldschool jeff wagner ^_^ : 

houdini http://forums.odforce.net/topic/17105-short-and-sweet-op-centric-lessons/#entry104263

volume rendering https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=188793#188793

Recently I saw a really beautiful animation whereas water was flowing over rocks and the rocks looked realisticlly wet, it was something I'm not ready to do yet, but I'd like to know the generalization on how it was done...

I may be a newbie at Houdini and ask numerous questions, I'm like that with anything I start to learn.  Please don't dumb down Houdini, a little thinking as frustrating as it can be when a newbie is healthy.

One of the wishes I would pair with this, is that Day One learning of Houdini and the ramp up is still pretty harsh for any new users, it's gotten better, but it could be a lot better.

The more easily accessible tutorials, example files, help documents, shelfs, simplified workflows, google searchable options, marketing, and general reducing of unneeded button presses within the software to get results would be helpful. 

This is the endless wish...

The more students and worker who can pick up Houdini as quick as possible, the better for the product and the community. Sometimes giving the fish so they can taste the fish the first day, is a better hook than just teaching them how to fish on the first day. It still requires the creative/technical blend that Houdini users represent, while a healthy market, are too small a revenue stream with out having a wider base of the pyramid to more easily survive the industry it works in as a whole. I say this for a business that has survived so many years and as much of the market chaos it has, it still could further improve this at all times. It's their front line of new users. 

somewhat related... they need to make sure the examples and shelf-tools work properly in scene scales other than meter.  i usually use cm scale, but some of the shelf tools don't like cm (even tho they attempt to adjust).  if you didn't know better,  you'd think the shelf tools were simply crappy.

somewhat related... they need to make sure the examples and shelf-tools work properly in scene scales other than meter.  i usually use cm scale, but some of the shelf tools don't like cm (even tho they attempt to adjust).  if you didn't know better,  you'd think the shelf tools were simply crappy.

lmao, I've gotten so I annoyed at this I "normalize" everything to Houdini space now before siming, this definitely need some love.

yeah, whenever i need a shelf tool, i run it in a clean file at meter scale and figure out what it's doing and recreate it, but sometimes it's unclear what are unitless values... in fact, it's so unclear that sesi even messed it up.  the splash tank stuff, for example, fails at cm scale.

Oh and to follow up on the shelf tools, they need to be updated so that managing, and creating them falls more in line with the hda workflow. 

It's a pain to manage shelf tools, hda, and houdini-engine tools all differently.

my new favorite ascii emoji for the wishlist...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• 2 weeks later...

Implove modeling tools

Editing geometry with preserving of UVs

Extrude By Curve

Soft selection to primitive

Targeted Weld

Auto retopo

GoZ

More edit Curve tools

More integration with Explorer

Hold and leav file from explorer direcly into program

Improve Picker File (thumbmails better)

Improve network view:

When the project is giant, was veru caotic the Network..I sujest to add more tools to organize..For exmple

To be possible change the size of Node on network view.

To be possible hide of freeze Nodes on Network view (to we not select by accinent)]

Shortcut Node (chic and it send us to another region of the Network View..

Hide lines of connection

And Etc.

A ROP Output driver that simply renders a flipbook, but as a ROP so that it can be processed & rendered over HQueue. The OpenGL ROP gives you a *very* different result from the viewport, and it would be so much easier to just be able to Flipbook a sim over the farm vs. flipbooking it on the node I'm currently working with. 

(RFE #61223)

Edited by LukeLetellier
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, LukeLetellier said:

A ROP Output driver that simply renders a flipbook, but as a ROP so that it can be processed & rendered over HQueue. The OpenGL ROP gives you a *very* different result from the viewport, and it would be so much easier to just be able to Flipbook a sim over the farm vs. flipbooking it on the node I'm currently working with. 

(RFE #61223)

100000x this. I suppose it's not as easy as it may sound, I think the farm node would need to have a graphics card and all.. As opposed to Mantra that just needs a CPU. But yeah, it would save lots of time.

14 hours ago, LukeLetellier said:

The OpenGL ROP gives you a *very* different result from the viewport, and it would be so much easier to just be able to Flipbook a sim over the farm vs. flipbooking it on the node I'm currently working with. (RFE #61223)

The OpenGL ROP is equivalent to the Flipbook with the "Render Beauty Pass Only" flag on. Handles, grids, and guides don't make sense in the context of an OP. Also, the OpenGL ROP can also be run in hython, so it can run on hqueue (as long as the machines have GPUs).

23 minutes ago, malexander said:

The OpenGL ROP is equivalent to the Flipbook with the "Render Beauty Pass Only" flag on. Handles, grids, and guides don't make sense in the context of an OP. Also, the OpenGL ROP can also be run in hython, so it can run on hqueue (as long as the machines have GPUs).

Where is that particular flag on the OpenGL node?

I get very, very different results between the two. As an example, I've attached two samples: the top one is the OpenGL render, and the bottom is my viewport/flipbook. OpenGL_ROP.jpg

ViewportFlipbook.jpg

Edited by LukeLetellier