Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

"when it has to" is more appropriate I think.

But kidding aside, I think a H17 wish-list has run its course. We're staring at an imminent new version release and any new ideas are probably more appropriate to a Houdini 18 wish-list. Of course, we have to wait H17 release first or we'll blow our cover as normal people.

5 hours ago, McNistor said:

"when it has to" is more appropriate I think.

But kidding aside, I think a H17 wish-list has run its course. We're staring at an imminent new version release and any new ideas are probably more appropriate to a Houdini 18 wish-list. Of course, we have to wait H17 release first or we'll blow our cover as normal people.

With the amount of ideas presented in this thread, I think wishlists for Houdini 18, 19, 20 and 21 have already been started!

I'll spin up a wish list for 18 when they officially announced the launch date of Houdini 17. 

There has been some hurt feeling on the timing of the creation of the wish list in the past. Also until they officially announce we do not know what features are actually included, and or cut from this next version. The same reasons we do not do a wish list for a .1, .5 or other build. We only had a single 14.0 no 14.5, and a 9.1 and 9.5. While, yes, it is true there is a general degradation of a wish list the closer to release it is, you don't want to necessarily jump the gun.

Also as always. This is a wish list unaffiliated with Houdini support services. Even if there are bunch of them on here, lol. If you want to make actual Request for Feature Enhancements(RFEs), or submit BUGs please contact through your company support, or use the online submission process https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ The wish list is more for rants, and collaboration of ideas. Comments on the list do not have a direct causality to changes in Houdini, but there is a strong argument for indirect causality. As the more official requests from companies get in with common interest, the more likely a request will happen (besides the insane request ;).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rod.vfx.td said:

No SideFX or Mantra present on a panel of logos of NVIDIA partnership on turing RTX raytracing accelaration presentation. even blender is present... :/

Sidefx uses opencl they don't use cuda. Blender has a cuda implementation of cycles. 

There was a statement some years ago that they don't bind there product to one company. 

17 hours ago, Mandrake0 said:

Sidefx uses opencl they don't use cuda. Blender has a cuda implementation of cycles. 

There was a statement some years ago that they don't bind there product to one company. 

Cuda cores is other story, here it's brand new RT cores. The mention to "bind to company" is very well known statement of SESI.

"The Turing architecture is armed with dedicated ray-tracing processors called RT Cores that accelerate the computation of how light and sound travel in 3D environments at up to 10 Giga Rays per second"

Edited by rod.vfx.td

Nvidia's Optix library is probably the most accessible way to get at those new RT cores from a non-GPU renderer. CUDA targets the existing shader cores, though I suspect there's probably a CUDA lib which handles dispatching to the RT cores (there is one such lib for dispatching to the Tensor cores).

On 8/14/2018 at 6:12 PM, rod.vfx.td said:

No SideFX or Mantra present on a panel of logos of NVIDIA partnership on turing RTX raytracing accelaration presentation. even blender is present... :/

Thankfully Mantra isn't the only renderer for Houdini these days.