Need help with loops and Foreach

Werner

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Eyteneyer said:

Please! Which version of houdini is it built? Every time I try to open a file in 15.0.274 a lot of errors will come out and in the end nothing will work!

Try the file associated with this video, you can get very similar results and I think it should work in older versions. This isn't mine but I was messing around with it before Matt's version and I could get a very similar style out of it. There's 4 or 5 different styles of cutting in the file that can be downloaded from dropbox. Link for the file is on the vimeo page.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Atom said:

Playing around with this subdivide on a hexagon grid.

ap_hexagon_recursive_subdivide_110818.hiplc

Looks good, I'll have a play with that in the morning.

Here's a couple of setups for getting L-shaped cuts and 45° cuts, the angle can be changed to anything you like. Everyone feel free to mess around and post any ways to improve them.

cuts.jpg

different_shaped_cuts.hiplc

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@Dimitris Can you provide the houdini file ? i tried to recreate yours but i'm a beginner in houdini and i don't understand some paramaters like the random of the polysplit. When you put a polysplit you need to select what you need to split and what i'm understanding for your technique that you random select the edges ? how can i do that ? 

Your work is just awesome and all of you in this threads are incredible... 

Hope i can post some render when i figure it out it works :)

Regards;

On 24. 11. 2017 at 4:41 AM, mestela said:

I'm sure there's better ways, but here's my attempt. Will explain more if I get time later...

recursive_subdivide.hip

forloop_clip_recurse.gif.9254bc14d2d7df759365e15d8ecf9c08.gif

When I open the hip file, there is nothing in the viewport, not even if I make the grid node visible or enable template. I'm on Houdini 17.

EDIT:

I copied the all the nodes into a new session. It works now.

Edited by reeson

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 2:50 PM, Tylox said:

@Dimitris Can you provide the houdini file ?

On 12/2/2017 at 1:07 PM, Dimitris said:

Would love to see it too. Really wondering how he makes that work with 2 for loops with the 2 switches. I'm also a beginner.

Edited by OdForest

• 4 months later...
On 11/24/2017 at 4:58 PM, Werner said:

Forgot to mention where I got the idea from. There is a beautiful render on the SideFX gall done by Dimitris Ladopoulos, that made me want to explore loops Foreeach. 
https://www.sidefx.com/gallery/algorithm/

Thanks again for the great example Mestela. I'm yet to understand how it all works, but I will take my time.

one more for fun.

Rec_SubD_102.jpg

I know I am very last to this party but I really love this style and am just getting into Houdini......I was wondering if you could explain a bit about how you textured and lit this scene.....Thanks!

On 11/28/2017 at 3:06 AM, Dimitris said:

Hey @Werner and @mestela

I was surprised to find this thread with the Algorithm stuff I posted a few days ago.

See more at https://www.behance.net/gallery/59061121/Algorithm

I'm glad it got you interested and thankful for people like mestela!

I am also relatively new, so my method might not be very efficient or elegant, but here it goes:

I tried a couple of way but ended up using polysplit with edge loops in order to have local space rather than world space.

I ended up with 2 variations. 1st one splits each primitive with a random number of edge loops (eg. 0-4). Blue loop splits horizontally, green loop splits vertically. I could only get equally spaced splits so in the 2nd example I tried to make it split each primitive a random number but at a random distance (0.2-0.8) each time.

Hope this helps.

1st method.png

2nd method.png

Your images are amazing.....and thanks for sharing this.....one question......can you explain what the switches do inside of the inner loops....Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...