Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family

bobc4d

I got this email today . . .

Today marks a milestone for Allegorithmic and the Substance community: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family, where we’ll continue to lead the way in empowering 3D creation.

Since the inception of Substance, our technology and tools have evolved to make 3D creation accessible to artists of every stripe. In Adobe, we’ve found a great partner who shares our love of creation and our drive for innovation and growth.

The Substance tools and ecosystem you love are here to stay – and flourish!

You’ll be seeing Substance and Adobe’s tools evolve together within the coming months and years, but the very same teams are still behind your favorite products, and you can still find us in your favorite online Substance communities, which are growing every day.

When it comes to licensing, nothing changes for now. Your current licenses will continue running and getting updates. As we join the Adobe family, we will also unveil new and more flexible subscription offers in the coming months. We will share more details about these new and exciting licensing options at a later date.

This wild and thrilling ride at the frontier of digital art began 15 years ago – with you. You believed that a small French company from Clermont-Ferrand could change the status quo and revolutionize digital creation. You made us grow. You: the early adopters, the artists, the visionaries, and the discoverers. You are our inspiration and we want you with us as we begin this new chapter, which starts today. Expect it to be bigger, bolder, and full of new adventures!

For Allegorithmic founder and CEO Sébastien Deguy, this leap into a new era is both exciting and challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really liked the clumsy node workflow of Designer and rarely need something like Painter but still found the tools somehow interesting, even though the Houdini plugin was crap. Hoping they would improve over time I kept the permanent licenses current when they had a sale, even though I hardly ever used them.

After this announcement, I uninstalled them both.

Somehow I saw too much of this kind of bullshit over the years, from Shake to XSI to Thea Render to Camel Audio to Extreme 3D to Cool Edit to Freehand ... My list goes on and on and there rarely was a positive outcome ever. Most of the time you could just write of the tool and the investment in money and time.

Let's hope somebody comes up with a REALLY good procedural texture tool :-)

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1