All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. How do I access the buffer file? Just C&P to a text file is incomplete. Edit, found the answer: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/49383/#post-223158 Also found this while researching the upper question. Clipboard History, a new Windows feature which seems quite handy. Though not for multple OP C&Ps. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-clipboard-paste/
  3. Optimizing Smoke SIMs

You might consider an UpRez technique like this:
  4. Houdini 19 Wishlist

I tried/used that for 1 week and I found very well also, if I remmeber well, you can use a special button and setting inside some different tools for each software you used (it's like a circular menù in Houdini, but you can use one for Houdini, one for Maya, for e.g., or others and in all cases it's different). Price is high also because you should buy the pad so price not less, but is very good product. https://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/nc/products/cadmouse-product-line.html On Atohotkey scripts good to knoe I use it for fix alwayse on top some application/floating windows in Win10. Matteo
  5. Today
  6. Houdini 19 Wishlist

Hi @Maurits, as regards 1. I would suggest to try the https://www.autohotkey.com and/or to buy a mouse, which has a driver, which allows you to bind custom hotkeys. (I have a Roccat mouse and the driver is quite good for that.) as regards 3. if you have the Python Shell Pane open, it supersedes the Console pop up.
  7. Hi friends...I have more than 10024587515 Geo nodes on my SOP network...I need to add a Normal Sop on the final network of everything, I have to do it one by one? Or Houdini give me a way to do automaticly? If yes, which? Thank you for all
  8. pop replicate 1st vs 2nd input

Hey all, just been learning pop replicate, all makes sense except for the difference between the first and second input. Checking the help i'm still no wiser. Testing it myself in the scene i can't seem to find any cases where it makes any difference? I know that must be wrong. Can someone give an example of when you might use the second input over the first? Thanks
  9. Python write vector attribute to text file

import hou import numpy as np geo = hou.node('/obj/geo1/torus').geometry() # Read the attributes into numpy arrays pos_array = np.frombuffer(geo.primFloatAttribValuesAsString('pos'), dtype=np.float32) dir_array = np.frombuffer(geo.primFloatAttribValuesAsString('dir'), dtype=np.float32) # Split the array by 3 pos_array = np.array_split(pos_array, pos_array.size/3) dir_array = np.array_split(dir_array, dir_array.size/3) # Stack the arrays (similar to python zip()) stack = np.column_stack((pos_array, dir_array)) # Make a single continuios array of form pos.x pos.y pos.z dir.x dir.y dir.z final = stack.flatten() # Save to a file with float precision = 3 np.savetxt('c:/temp/foo.txt', final, fmt='%.3f', newline=' ') If you need speeeeeeeed
  10. Python write vector attribute to text file

Not sure if these lines are working, but it seems to me that the value of "data" would be a string. Therefore, when you loop through "data", "item" would be each characters in the string. Hope I could be misunderstanding..
  11. As I venture deeper into smoke &pyro one issue I am facing are the extremely LONG sim times and inefficient playback times of my cached sims. I am using a voxel density of .01 and show 216 million density and collision voxels. I've enabled ‘Use OpenCL’ on my Pyro solver. Even after caching a 204 frame simulation which takes several hours with a 12 core Threadripper and dual Titan Volta GPUs I can only play back the simulation in the Geometry Viewer at about 1 fps. This workflow simply makes it impossible to proceed and iterate. I need the .01 voxel density otherwise the resulting smoke sims appear too ‘jagged’. Attached are screen grabs of my Pyrosolver and caching SOPs info details. Are there any tips or workarounds that people use to optimize smoke & pyro workflows? Are 216 million voxels simply too many?
  12. Yesterday
  13. Polybevel issue

Here is a hip file. spiral2_F.hip
  14. Polybevel issue

Thanks for advice, but it doesn't work however I try... Maybe there is another solutyion?
  15. Best Value/Time HDA, ever! :D (Studio Clipboard)

Another way is to send someone the copy and paste buffer file. Each network type has it's own copy and paste buffer file on disk whenever you copy something in Houdini. They can be emailed or put on network shares or whatever.
  16. Studio Clipboard HDA Use case: You want to share OPs with colleagues super fast. And you want to spend minimal time to make this happen. Tl;DR: Just create an empty HDA to share arbitrary content. Creation: 1. Create an empty Subnetwork SOP 2. Create Digital Asset from it 3. Save it on a network location 4. Add the network location to houdini.env found in c:/Users/yourUser/Documents/houdini17.5/houdini.env by adding HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH="z:/yourPathToCheapestHDAEver;&" Usage: 1. Create Studio Clipboard SOP 2. Allow Editing of Contents 3. Put OPs in you want to share 4. Save Node Type 5. Create Studio Clipboard SOP on another computer in the network 6. Retrieve content 7. Profit!
  17. Can't Get Rid of Particle Stepping

That was it! Interestingly, if I also cache the Debris Source SOP before it's fed into the POP Network (also caching the same number of substeps), the POP Network doesn't read the substeps and I get gaps again. But if I don't cache it, it works perfect! I guess something about caching the Debris Source SOP messes things up, but this isn't crucial. Thanks so much for your help!
  18. Houdini Trainer Needed on Site in Baltimore for 1 Week ASAP

I don't know on both counts. If you are interested in applying for the on-site teaching gig, please contact Manny Fragelus <manny@cgmasteracademy.com> with your resume. He'll be able to fill you in. Tell him Jeroen sent ya! thanks Jeroen
  19. Hello, i think this will be simple for someone more experienced. i have two vector primitive attributes and i want to write them in a text file so-------> v1.x, v1.y v1.z, n1.x, n1.y ,n1.z , v2.x, v2.y v2.z, ....etc for each primitive this is how far i am now ############# READ ATTRIBUTES ###################### for prim in geo.prims() : pos = hou.Vector3(prim.attribValue('pos')) dir = hou.Vector3(prim.attribValue('dir')) data = str(pos) + "," + str(dir) ############# WRITE TO TEXT FILE ###################### myfile = '$HIP/lattice.txt' with open(myfile, 'w') as f: for item in data: f.write("%s\n" % item) spits out this nonsense, splits every character to a new line [ - 1 7 5 2 , - 1 1 9 . 0 3 , 1 4 6 4 ] , [ 0 , 3 0 . 9 0 1 4 , 0 ]
  20. A little update on the problem I have, maybe someone knows a solution Cluster_Individual_Problem_01.hip
  21. Simulating flip from bottle

Hey so I'm not sure if this is a Hiplc problem or not, hopefully someone else can chime in on this but I'm not seeing baked geo in the locked file nodes. I know this used to work just fine in 16, you could lock a null or whatever to bake the geo into the hip file but I wonder if this changed for 17.5.+?
  22. I imagine my answer is not ideal but the only instance I've seen that enables lighting output from Maya and Houdini to match is using Arnold. Scene descriptions from Arnold produce exactly the same result as they use the same lights and materials. This means your Houdini scenes only use Arnold lights, Arnold materials etc and similarly your maya scenes only use Arnold lights and materials. Without Arnold you're stuck kind of guessing and trying to match by eye or making up for it in comp later. When this is done properly, lighting setups can be passed back and forth between the two packages so long as the scene scales match.
  23. How to drive smoke and blend shape

Where, in this hour long video, Is the effect you're trying to recreate?
  24. [SOLVED]Expression in Geometry ROP node

Turns out expression doesn`t error out if it can`t find light in the path. so no need to use if statement. All works now. Cheers
  25. Exploding vellum grains

Hi guys, I'm currently trying to setup a test of vellum grains with loose sand and clumps falling from 1m down on a pighead-collider (grain size of around 0.001). I did lots of tests already but can't manage to get a stable result where the clumps (more or less) keep together on impact. They stick together mid air, but as soon as they hit, explode and spread in numerous pieces. Scene and sim is according to realworld scale. Settings I use are all default but: Common-Tab: Substeps 12 Constr. Iterations 2000 (That high since I was told it needs to be roughly the amount of grains you want to pile up, and having grains around 0.001 in size makes pretty huge stacks.) Static Friction 0.75 Dyn. Friction 0.15 Advanced Tab: Repulsion: 1500 Attraction weight 1 (weighted/multiplied with a point attribute (0 to 1 values) that defines loose sand and clumps based on a noise pattern.) Attraction 100 It would be very cool if someone help me figure out why this is not working. Any hint or even a example-scene is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!
  26. [SOLVED]Expression in Geometry ROP node

I need to get an if statement that replaces /light/ to /fx/ only if there is a /light/ in the path, if there isn`t then just leave it as it is.
  27. [SOLVED]Expression in Geometry ROP node

Are you overthinking it? strreplace($HIP, "light", "fx") right?
  28. Hi could anyone help me with this expression that I use in Geometry ROP node in OUT context? basically I just need to look for /light/ in the string and if it`s there replace it with /fx/ Here`s what my expression looks now. and If I save hiop somewhere else expression breaks `strreplace(strreplace($HIP, houdini/hip, cache), P:, V:)`/cache_001.$F4.bgeo.sc V:/project/sequences/201/201_0020/fx/work/cache/cache_001.0957.bgeo.sc $HIP - P:/project/sequences/201/201_0020/fx/work/houdini/hip $HIP(in lighting) - P:/project/sequences/201/201_0020/light/work/houdini/hip look for /light/ if there is no /light/ in the string do nothing else replace with /fx/ Thanks a lot Janis
  1. Load more activity