Houdini 16 Wishlist

Alt or ctrl dragging a node should create a copy - like in other apps. This is a nice time/ergonomics saver - I see people ctrl-c and ctr-v'ing and then disconnecting all the time - it's a little feature, but a really nice convenient thing to have.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Daskerdaks said:

Alt or ctrl dragging a node should create a copy - like in other apps. This is a nice time/ergonomics saver - I see people ctrl-c and ctr-v'ing and then disconnecting all the time - it's a little feature, but a really nice convenient thing to have.

a copy of the node unconnected?

I don't see the value of this personally, ctrl+C allows you to ctrl+V anywhere you want...even in another network, and unwiring is pretty fast.

I can't think of times when I've needed/wanted an unconnected copy of a node.

you can make the RFE, maybe I'm out of touch with what the kids are into these days :)

I too miss this "duplicate" functionality. 

Why press two key combos instead of one? 

I go back and forth between nuke, maya and houdini, and houdini is the only one missing this. 

5 hours ago, michael said:

a copy of the node unconnected?

I don't see the value of this personally, ctrl+C allows you to ctrl+V anywhere you want...even in another network, and unwiring is pretty fast.

I can't think of times when I've needed/wanted an unconnected copy of a node.

you can make the RFE, maybe I'm out of touch with what the kids are into these days :)

He he. I have to say, as a switcher there were many workflow/UI things I found strange in the beginning when I jumped to Houdini, however, I've really come to like and also prefer most of the ways the UI works in Houdini - for instance things like the spacebar navigation, snapping shortcuts, view shortcuts, changing between points and primitive editing, node-handling, wiring etc. - almost everything is actually much better and more well thought through in Houdini than other apps. If one finds Houdini difficult from a UI perspective, it's mostly just a matter of learning the philosophy and getting used to it. However, I still miss alt/crt-dragging elements to duplicate them - also interactively in the viewport. Maybe I'll not miss it after spending a couple of years extra with Houdini, but I just wanted to hear what you other guys think, and also stress the point that I'm not requesting this as a "newbie", but as person who actually prefers most of the UI design of Houdini. :-)

Edited by Daskerdaks

I submitted similar thing while ago, feel free to ping that one.

ID: 68618

(Alt+) Shift + LMB (over node) + drag and drop to quickly duplicate that node (with all settings as original node (channels, expressions, values)).
shift_drag_to_duplicate.gif

(Alt+) Shift + LMB (over node) + drag + (release shift) then release LMB (drop) to duplicate node but also reset it to default values.
shift_released_before_LMB_to_reset_to_defaults.gif

(Alt+) Ctrl + LMB (over node) + drag and drop to quickly create Reference Copy of that node.
ctrl_drag_to_reference_copy.gif

Alt modifier for keeping connections (like Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v)

shift_drag_to_duplicate.gif

ctrl_drag_to_reference_copy.gif

shift_released_before_LMB_to_reset_to_defaults.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skybar said:

No but kinda strange we have itoa(), atoi() and atof(), but no ftoa.

Just guessing, but probably because integers are very straightforward to convert to strings, whereas FP numbers have quite a few more options - #significant digits, scientific notation, decimal digits, etc. Once you've added those options to ftoa(), sprintf() doesn't look like a bad alternative.

5 hours ago, Skybar said:

No but kinda strange we have itoa(), atoi() and atof(), but no ftoa.

Could make a request that SESI just makes an additional remap of sprintf() to ftoa(), that way the pattern is more obvious when you are looking for that conversion. There are definitely plenty of remapping of aliases going on in the package, so there is a pattern for the request. sprintf is definitely a programmer view of what that function should be called i.e. from a C library function of the same name that I'm guessing it is doing, however, Houdini is supposed to be usable by artist that didn't have C programming classes, thus the creation of wrapper languages like VEX and why we aren't programming in C in the first place.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/c_standard_library/c_function_sprintf.htm

I think ben idea of remapping sprintf to ftoa() is great , because when you search in the help , it's extremely obfuscated.

When you sort VEX string function in the doc you get this :

sprintf is not listed in the string function on H15 help

But if you search for sprintf it does return an entry that is sort in the string section ... :)

And the fact that sprintf can convert float to string is not mention in his description.

Fortunatly there is OdForce ! 

string.jpg

sprintf.jpg

Edited by sebkaine

Simple viewport feature - isolate visiblity on selected object (functionality like visible node but on obj level). It's like isolate selected in maya.

Very usefull when editing scene with large number of objects. Also need keybinding!

4 hours ago, _dv said:

Simple viewport feature - isolate visiblity on selected object (functionality like visible node but on obj level). It's like isolate selected in maya....

you can specify Visible Objects in Display Options of any viewport, possibly hook it up to a script that fills it with selected objects or something 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, anim said:

you can specify Visible Objects in Display Options of any viewport, possibly hook it up to a script that fills it with selected objects or something 

Thank you Tomas, there is good workaround!

Check this one - invisible in object still can to be selected directrly in viewort :)

Seems like a bug.

01e5e32eebd1139ba5be88f93d05a489.png

Edited by _dv
upd 5min