Solid Angle bought by Autodesk

McNistor

I expected the foundry to pick them up to be honest.

Who knows what the future is in store for them and their users. 

I'm just glad SESI (and Pixologic) have a lot of autonomy when to comes to creating and developing their products.

Any discussion regarding Shotgun post Autodesk is highly debatable in my mind :). Not quite the kiss of death that Naiad/Softimage was, but I certainly don't think it's benefited anyone either. 

Sadly Solid Angle was a family business, father+ son, which usually means a limited business acumen or depth of business skills. You don't need to sell out to corporate to hand off responsibilities. 

Symptoms of this disease is the evident in the adjectives and verbs spoken by the neophyte corporate acolyte:

“Autodesk shares our passion for numerical methods and computational performance and our desire to simplify the rendering pipeline, so artists can create top quality visuals more easily,” said Solid Angle Founder Marcos Fajardo. “With Autodesk, we’ll be able to accelerate development as well as scale our marketing, sales and support operations for Arnold to better meet the needs of our growing user base. Working side-by-side, we can solve production challenges in rendering and beyond.”

http://news.autodesk.com/press-release/autodesk-boosts-advanced-rendering-capabilities-through-acquisition-solid-angle 

Wait and see what they do ...

But if we judge on Bifrost , when you see the actual product, you realise that even when you are an absolut genius in fluid sims like Marcus Nordenstam you can't accomplish real miracle when working for a big machine like AD.

You can't iterate / take risky decision / innovate in a huge corp like you can in a startup ... (skymatter / exotic matter / solid angle / realviz)

Naiad was bought 4 years ago, and the product is still far superior than what we get with Bifrost. But when you read the official statement you also have :

In an effort to accelerate Autodesk’s research and development of simulation technologies for visual effects, Autodesk has acquired the Naiad fluid simulation technology from Exotic Matter.

I see more inertia than acceleration ...

Well if they bundle Arnold in Maya , we might see V-Ray coming on H at the end ...

Edited by sebkaine

───▄████▄─────
──███▄█▀──────
─▐████──█──█──
──█████▄──────
───▀████▀─────

couldn't find the smiley...

Edited by 6ril

Well, maybe Blender will get Brecht back.

The quote Marcos released seems kind of naive. To sell the company and still think you can run it?

How long till Clarisse falls? Dang that renderer is the fastest on the planet.