Redshift Proxy Workflow in Houdini

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:16 AM, Daryl Dunlap said:

Redshift 2.6.28 added support for rendering Packed Primitives and instancing them.

The next Redshift release will take this a step further, and add support for Automatically Instancing SubNets as well.

So does that make the above instruction now irrelevant?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have questions regarding proxies as well, I am trying to optimize the sh*t out of my night city scene, I have tried mesh lights and instanced lights, the problem is I dont know how much I can bake per instance, which is like one building. RS render node outputs very small proxy files, is it because it's referencing to instanced proxies. Can't I do a nice proxy of one building with baked GI, ( not UV based, Irridiance PC) and instance that back?

Can we also include the lights in proxies, is there any workflow or tutorial for this.

I don't need to render everything as one pass, u would probably divide it to 10 layers and deep comp afterwards.

Just a bit lost here, very new to redshift

FB_IMG_1550586823957.jpg

Edited by tricecold

Tim, I would highly recommend that instead of here or FB, you post this question on the Redshift forum under the Houdini Bugs section (even though it's not a bug). Juanjo is highly knowledgeable of Redshift in Houdini and he's always replying within minutes.

I'm looking for the official answer as well since I'm all about optimizing Redshift renders!

P.S.

Welcome to the Redshift family, hopefully you like it and stick with it, and hopefully you'll consider doing some of your tutorials using Redshift as the rendering engine!

Yes , I got a pretty fast reply , although the documentation also suggests mesh lights to be in closer groups spacially.

I already have a solution but it's not practical, I can render each section seperately and deep comp after. The other thing that's bugging me is how to control trace sets in a smarter way , can it be driven by detail attributes for example, because I have 50 instanced proxies, so practically I have one object, what if I want to trace based on an ID, for example trace against each other in this group of instances that has a matching attribute value. 

I keep experimenting, finding better values and all that. I am still stuck at baking Irridiance point cloud into the proxy for example. How do I make Houdini load a specific Irridiance point cloud per instance of proxy etc.

And yes, I am doing my last tutorial with redshift that's why I got it, although I will have to do a simple mantra switch along with it.

Edited by tricecold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I have animated rs proxies that I need to instance on points. Does anyone know if there a attribute similar to the "abcframe" on alembic to randomize the rs sequence starting frame per point ?

Thanks !

S

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dusmus said:

Hey guys,

I have animated rs proxies that I need to instance on points. Does anyone know if there a attribute similar to the "abcframe" on alembic to randomize the rs sequence starting frame per point ?

Thanks !

S

Also curious about this.

• 11 months later...

To use a sequence of .rs proxies, you just have to manually set the right frame on each instance in the s@inceancefile attribute.
I use the code bellow to randomly pick  a proxy out of a sequence of variations.

// ../file_<v>.<f>.bgeo.sc
string version = sprintf("v%03d", chi("version"));
string frame = sprintf("%04d", int(fit01(rand(i@ptnum),chi("fMin"),chi("fmax")+1)) );
s@instancefile = chs("path");
s@instancefile = re_replace("<v>", version, s@instancefile, 0);
s@instancefile = re_replace("<f>", frame, s@instancefile, 0);

I guess if you want to cycle the an animation, you can modify the vex to something like that

// ../file_<v>.<f>.bgeo.sc
string version = sprintf("v%03d", chi("version"));
//string frame = sprintf("%04d", int(fit01(rand(i@ptnum),chi("fMin"),chi("fmax")+1)) );
int f = int( @Frame + (rand(i@ptnum)*100) );
f = ((f-chi("fMin")) % (chi("fmax")-chi("fMin"))) + chi("fMin");
string frame = sprintf("%04d", int(f) );

s@instancefile = chs("path");
s@instancefile = re_replace("<v>", version, s@instancefile, 0);
s@instancefile = re_replace("<f>", frame, s@instancefile, 0);

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...