Boat explosion

DonRomano

Hey guys,

Here's a new project I'm working on as I have some free time. The boat is a free model from cadnav.

The main rbd sim with instanced debris is there :

https://streamable.com/pcayf

I used the new rbd deform pieces for the mesh (which is pretty useful) and I'm looking to add some noise and more details to the edges later. 

I've made the explosions (but infortunately I have only 119 frames because it crashed, I may resimulate the explosions 1 by 1 instead of the 4 in a row) :

https://streamable.com/sjcje

I've also made a quick low res render to see how the ocean and the explosions behaved all together with a lil bit of comp (to match my background) :

https://streamable.com/1sduw

Now I need to add sparks, smoke trails, and flip white water, and maybe additionnal splashes, refine the ocean..

mantra_pyro_test_02_comp.thumb.jpg.323d4e5cfe5f44693549a727d9af7404.jpg

Cheers and happy confinement !

• Like 2

On 31/03/2020 at 7:37 PM, Librarian said:

Make only 1 first little explosion and after 1.3 seconds ( HUge) BIg close to the first one... only that ....I like it :wub:

Yeah I'll try to add one, I agree with you it could make much more sense.

Here's some progress : sparks and I tried to refine the ocean a bit 

mantra_pyro_sparks_test_02_comp.thumb.jpg.f8be715cbb72885c4774b5f0285d5c3a.jpg

Cheers,

Hi, just a few comments, depending on the level you're trying to reach with this "usual" boat boom.

Your ocean seems "fluffy" for some reasons.

This is a metallic boat. The way you made the sides collapse is totally off, not believable at all imho. Feels like it a cardboard boat, or at least a concrete boat. You lack the plasticity that metal would show in such conditions. Tearing yeah, in some strongly exposed parts, but not without Bending !

I understand it's another (higher) level of destruction sim, but since you're tackling such a classic, overseen exercise ... That's where you should or could improve... maybe ... I dunno :)

Also, animation-wise, it lacks rhythm and growth. That's probably the point of @Librarian 's comment. Your explosions are almost equally spaced apart and of equal strength. It will feel better if you break up that flat rhythm with something like :

pop-pop--wait--BOOM! If you see what I mean.

About animation too, the camera motion (cam shake) feels very cgi. With just a little more work on it, you could get a better feel to the whole shot. Add a slight translation to the left, a subtle one, and may be break up the smoothness of your shakes. It would be more immersive, as if we were seeing the scene from another boat slowly moving.

The mood and rendering is nice tho.

J'espere que mes commentaires ne paraissent pas trop "secs" en anglais ;) Bon courage !

Edited by 6ril
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atom said:

Hmm... I don't know what it is, but I think a boat wouldn't blow up like that. Now a torpedo moving through the water and hitting the boat, makes more sense.

It's a SABOTAGE !@

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flcc said:

May be you have seen this video. if not take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8cYEn7Mfg
There is a shot very similar to yours at 30s.
And at 1:19, there's a hull tear also interesting.

and by the way in this shot the rythme is BOOM--wait--pop-pop :lol:

Yeah I saw this, it's a very interesting breakdown. Initially I was inspired by this https://www.alchemyschool.com/houdinimasterclass but I'm really really not at this level..

Hey,

the deformed hull seems to works better now, I think. It's a little "popping" (1 frame) but with the pyro fx it should work.

The rhythm is better too. I feel like a crescendo going on.

I'm not sure about the big jump of the ship front half, but it's hard to judge without the water reaction. Wondering if such a vertical jump could happen from what seem to be a core explosion. An explosion under the ship would justify that, but...

I like the tower slowly collapsing ! Nice touch ;)

*EDIT*

An other thing, but it might be something you add on another anim layer, is the lack of rocking/rolling of the boat.

Edited by 6ril

• 1 month later...

Hi! Your work is great.

I am also making an explosion.

So I would like to ask you advice.

Any tips on how to make an explosion? Emitting or source ...

I have a lot of concerns about shaders. (I use the Arnold render.)

Thank you.