All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Contract A Rope (Vellum)

Hi, there's the new vellum FIBER contraction, might just do the trick.
  3. Houdini Flip SIMM on a custom wave mesh

Hi Have a look at this thread it might give you some direction. cheers
  4. Thanks Sergey, just watched the vimeo and it looks really interesting. Thanks for taking the time to upload - I'll be looking to dig through your hip at some point too. Cheers!
  5. Today
  6. Hiya, Thwarted at step 0 of trying to use the crowd pipeline with my custom agents: Trying to use the amazing "agent from FBX feature", but so far, the rig am wrestling with does not export cleanly out of Maya. Given a simple run cycle, I (and much smarter people than I) tried exporting a "nice" FBX to no avail. The joints export fine, animation and all, but for whatever reason the mesh is frozen to a single frame (And that's just reloading the FBX to Maya to check the export). Will keep debugging the Maya side separately (This isn't a Maya forum, last I checked ) Hoping someone here could shed light on a few points: -On the Houdini side, what is the expectation from the FBX file format? how complex is the rig-skin representation? is the skin actually bound to the skeleton, or can they exist side by side? (geo cache and animated skeleton for manipulation by Houdini) -Are there ways to export separately then re-combine in Houdini? (abc for the mesh for instance.. stick to the FBX for the joints) Any help is much appreciated!!
  7. Puddle Crown Splash

i think you should check out this forum. Especially the last post at 3. page form KarlRichter Good luck.
  8. Question about increasing Whitewater quality

Have you tried rendering it? It may just be that your viewport is set up to not show the volume at it's full resolution. You could try putting down a volume visualisation node and setting max vis res to 1024 or 2048. If that fails, it'll probably be to do with the pscale on your points - If it's too big they'll just stamp in to the volume as big spheres and you'll lose lots of detail.
  9. Thoughts about this rig?

Hey @DaJuice thanks for the tips. I also asked on Houdini group at facebook, and overall, heating will be a pain in the ass, as you said. Heard I'd need to watercool the cards, so I can open them and make that (no way, I have 0 hardware) or buy the ones with the imput already, that are more expensive. I'd probably go with just 2 of 11gb to be safe. Thank you!
  10. Houdini 18 Wishlist

these are more like small changes instead of a wish, im putting it here since i know devs love wishlist threads --in linuxmint tessa cinnamon, middle click ladder causes crashes. --implement the "cluster" attribute in pyrocluster workflow. --have an compensate dopobject transform in sopmergefield and gasparticle to field --clear caches using python --cooperation between dop wrangles and copydata dop --findattribvaluecount vop's output is "elemid", should it be "elmcount" ? --primuv vop is labeled "Primitive Attribute" which i easily confused with importprim vop. --"embed icon in operator" should not darken the icon, it doesnt if the extra file is done manually. -- remake game of thrones finale... does sidefx have that kind of influence?
  11. Simple RBD hanging

HEy Matt ! thanks, I give it a go.
  12. Pyro renders taking way too long

i find that adding a volumelimit or geolights spikes volume renders up to 10 folds. --check does out, and if like internal scattering, go with geolight my test shows its atleast 2x faster than having a volume limit of 1 or just add a glow in comp and don't do emissive lights, you'll be lighting fast
  13. Houdini Flip SIMM on a custom wave mesh

Howdy there!! Poet here. I have a mesh that is deforming like a big Tsunami wave with a boat on top.The mesh is made with Ocean Wave Deformer in Houdini with a Ocean Spectrum on top of it. It's a moving mesh with the curves translated that are connected to Ocean Waves SOP. Im not able to get a proper FLIP simm out of it. The velocity kinda goes NUTS. Also it was difficult in the beginning for me to get the shape right from the Ocean Wave to the Flip Tank Initial it would not take the full deformation. Then I fixed it by going in the Flip Tank SOP and adding changes manually. But the Flip issue is still happening. Anybody or anyone if have done something like that I would be very grateful if you could give some tips. On that same Ocean Wave Foam is also done and looks pretty good. IMP: It's a production file so I cant upload it.
  14. Puddle Crown Splash

hello, you can try to simulate it in a high res tank, and then after sim crop what is outside your shape. Otherwise stability might be an issue. or maybe keep you point velocity to 0, and only activate the one that go >0.1. that would probably be the most accurate method, otherwise you can keep playing with the ripple sover / meshing it together!
  15. Preserving ParticleIDs

Hello, in theory no, if you are simulating something in dops, and your particle die they will have a higher id number. be sure to have 'add id attributes' on in the attributes tab in the popsource.
  16. Particle Systems on Packed Primitives

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/66451/#post-283535
  17. Tips for Eye Candy Fluid sims

Hello there good people, Do you guys have any tips on creating eye candy fluid sims, Specially Flip liquid Sims? Thanks in advance.
  18. Yesterday
  19. Rendering Cola

Awesome....thank you. This is where I got with Octane in C4D....I'm going to get try and get it with Mantra.... Really appreciate you sending that.
  20. Thoughts about this rig?

Depending on the case, it can be a bit of a tight fit between the lowest GPU and the power supply. My concern would be the lack of space between the GPUs themselves. The RTX reference cards are open air cooler designs, so I'm not sure having them back to back would be such a great idea, heat wise. I would personally stick to blower fan designs for a 4-GPU system. Another thing to think about is the potential use of NVLink bridges down the line (to take advantage of memory pooling). I don't believe that's possible in a standard full-size tower layout, because the NVLink bridges expect a PCI slot worth of distance between the two bridged cards. You can get around that with riser cables and custom cases, and I think on the Redshift forum someone got 4 RTX cards/2 NVLink bridges working.
  21. Rendering Cola

I tried using nested dielectrics and absorption. if you force specular of air bubbles you would get those sharp highlights as well. You should increase a bit the render quality maybe, I'm on a laptop. nested.hipnc
  22. Thoughts about this rig?

Hey guys, I'm traveling to NY in june, mostly to buy new hardware. Did some research and spoke with some friends and this is what I have so far, wanted to give a last check, my main uses are Houdini sims / motion graphics, redshift/octane, zbrush. MOTHER Gigabyte x399 Aorus Xtreme PROCESSOR Threadripper 2950x RAM G Skill TridentZ 3200mhz CL14 (128 gb) GPU 4 x EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Questions: Does this mother support 4 gpu? a friend told me to be careful about the space with the power supply and stuff. This threadripper is good? or should I go for another? I want the sims to be quickest as possible For GPU, should I pick the Ti or the normals? there's a 300usd difference between each. P.D: I'm thinking about buying via Amazon, but I'd prefer to go with cash, amazon has AmazonCash but with a 500usd limit, so if anybody knows a nice place to buy this type of hardware at good price in NY will be super helpful. Thanks!
  23. More Particles Following a PATH!

Yeah, in summary, you have to calculate v by importing the tangent normal of the curve and pcopen allows you to import the normals from the curve so that you can use it for velocity and in turn apply that to your POPs. You can also just try using the pops curve force node, it works with multiple splines as well. I hope that's helpful, the files linked in this thread were helpful for me as well and hopefully could be of some use to you too. Cheers, Christian
  24. Dynamic Particles - Houdini Rig needed

nothing you are welcome (Studio)
  25. Preserving ParticleIDs

What's a good method for preserving particleIDs? As particles die, Houdini reassigns the IDs, right? I need to preserve the particleIDs so I can calculate acceleration for multi-step particle motion blur. For this to work, the IDs need to stay consistent and not be reused. I've tried a combination of the Trail SOP and a SOPSolver looking up the previous frame ID to carry it forward, but once the particles start dying this falls apart. -- mC
  26. Particle Systems on Packed Primitives

Trying to figure out the best approached to creating particle systems that are unique and isolated to packed primitives. Basically, I've got a rigid body shatter effect and for each packed prim I want to have an energy effect that travels along with the prim geo. I'm after a particle effect that basically 'clings' to the surface with maybe the occasional wisp or particle that escapes a tightly controlled field around the surface. I don't want a comet trail/firework sort of effect as it travels through space. Think of something like an ether fire engulfing an object: all flame and form around the source without any smoke emission. For instance, the look could be similar to stationary geo with a VDB-driven velocity field manipulated by curl noise. It feels like my base needs to be a per-piece particle system that starts as a scatter-on-surface system and...then everything I've tried just doesn't get me where I need to be. So, I guess my questions are: Is a for-each loop pretty much a given here? Any way I can avoid making the first step in the for-each loop an unpack? Because, you know, that's painful... How do I keep the particle system contained to the volume of the packed primitive/fragment geo? This isn't meant to sound as broad as it might; I've got (I think) a fairly good understanding of forces/velocity/etc in POPs/DOPs but I just can't seem to find the right combo here. The particles need to inherit the overall velocity/acceleration/transformations of the fragments as they transform, but they need to do it in a contained, volumetric fashion. My prototype tests have been getting me imagery that at one extreme looks like the particles are getting 'stamped' in space and like the comet tail at the other. I've tried a few ways to create a VDB per-fragment, and it, uh, wasn't a pretty for performance or visuals. (willing to take the perf hit for the right look, btw) I literally had not considered pyro for this until typing the ether flame description in the post. Does this sound like something suited for a pyro solver? Haven't done much pyro besides some advection hijacking. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks! -- mC
  27. export texture

thank you very much
  1. Load more activity