All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Edgefracture Cd to attribute

Thanks! Will give that a try
  3. Edgefracture Cd to attribute

Yes, just use a color sop in "random from attribute" mode with your piece atribute , normally "name"
  4. No GPU Utilization on OpenCL with Viscus fluids?

More than likely, your simulation is too complex to fit inside your graphics card. It doesn't take much to break the 11GB boundary and you're not even getting all that if you are using the same card for display, or have other applications open. One thing that will kill OpenCL is continuous emission into a scene, without a sink to remove anything. Try disabling caching on the dopnetwork, and write the result of your simulation directly to disk. Having to update the viewport every frame also diminishes the gains obtained by OpenCL. Particle separation alone is not enough to determine the size of your simulation. It is the box size of your domain that is divided by the particle separation that determines ram usage. If your box size grows over time, your memory footprint will grow. Try looking into the new sparse solver. Even though it is CPU based, in some situations it can outperform OpenCL.
  5. Hello, I'm trying to accumulate an attribute inside a recursive loop. I have a geo that enters a feedback loop multiple times and takes modifications. The loop is in feedback mode so it uses the result of the last loop to modify the geo again. I have an attribute that changes over time before that loop, and I want, for each iteration in the loop to be able to accumulate this attribute before I modify the geo (because the modifications uses this attribute ). to get something like: -accum input attribute -change input with accumulated attribute -accum first loop iteration attribute -modify first loop iteration with accumulated attribute -accum second loop iteration attribute -modify second loop iteration with accumulated attribute I can not share what I'm trying to achieve, but there is a super simple example file that demonstrates the goal. (I now that in the example I just could put everything outside the loop, it's just for demonstration) The solver inside the loop kind of work, but become suupppeerrr slow with more complex stuff. Does anyone have an idea how to do this ? Thank you RecursiveSolver.hip
  6. Today
  7. Does anyone have insight on what makes or breaks OpenCL? I have a sim with high viscosity (200~2000) and a particle separation of around 0.02, with a scene total of around 600,000 points per frame but I'm not seeing any GPU utilization with OpenCL turned on. I have a GTX1080ti and my whole scene should fit on it. The only other thing I have going is that i have deforming collisions my scene the with fluid. Is this "too complex" for OpenCL to calculate or something? I just want to make sure I'm using all my resources properly when doing my simulations and in theory this should be a good scene since it's working with viscus FLIPs. Houdini does see my card, and in the about settings in help I see it's listed under OpenCL.
  8. skinning in houdini

Can anyone help me with a tutorial on how to edit skin weights for auto rigged characters. I rigged a character in houdini but the eyes, jaws, legs movements are messed up. Its easier to do that in maya but i am new to houdini and need help rig01.hiplc
  9. The little things about houdini

I can give you one good reason why a lot of people have tried to switch from C4d to houdini. Yes, C4D is, among other things, a motion design tool. For motion design Mograph is cool but you also need a good particle system. The C4D particle system is totally obsolete, so you have to use x-particles. x-particles is expensive. Compare the price of C4D+x-particles to Houdini's indie price. for one third of the price you get the power of houdini AND you can keep C4D voila And I have to say that C4D + Houdini is a perfect duo. Everything that's missing from C4d is in houdini and vice versa. PS : I even don't talk of Smoke fire and fluid where you also need expensive plug-ins, or third application. (even if x-particle now incude these functionnality)
  10. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

Unfortunately not. "So, at the end of the day, GI and volumes hate each other." : It's a bit radical, but yes, that's the point. Try like this and see if you get any improvement. It'll already give you a clue. See if this is visualy really different. If so, maybe you can keep the closest lamps that generate the shadows of the volume in the volume contribution, without forgetting to set their GI Contribution to zero. It's a bit of a tinkering thing.
  11. Hey everyone, is it possible to transfer the viewport color of a edgefracture piece to Cd? It only seems to create these colours to display, and not as an attribute
  12. The little things about houdini

Hahaha exactely! But if personnalyl after 20 years i found Houdini the most interesting software is exactly because i wanted to find what make Houdini different from other software and not trying to port my knowledge of other software inside. Tools are chnaging , the logic and problem solving are not, thatùs why i always investigated more time in the fundamentals and not be software centric. I never used it myself but i could see brillant work in C4d, so personnally why to change if you do only motion design? Just sharpen your knife is C4d
  13. The little things about houdini

Hi, my opinion is this: while I can agree to some of your points and definitely many things could be better, I guess it's just silly to complain about Houdini not having the same strong points as C4d, while demanding to keep the strong points it already has. I could too do a list of another 50 things that bug me, and you can do such a list for any vfx application, but let me rather contemplate on why no 3d app is never perfect. First - today, alongside with Blender, Houdini seems to be the fastest growing general purpose 3d creation platform. With every release SideFX brings incredible amount of improvements, and is often introducing innovative tools that make really difficult tasks easier (or even possible). Very few other developers can do that with such rate. Ultimately, these improvements are saving me much more time and effort than having better spline tools or more polished interface. With more polish, we'd have less power now. Polish takes an incredible amount of time to do right and I'm glad Sidefx gave way to innovative features rather than new icons or something. Honestly, complaining about not having a scene thumbnail, or an indication of not having saved my file since I last clicked, feels like a joke to me in this context. Second - it all comes down to what kind of user are you and what kind of work you need to do. Many people are very visual, they pay a lot of attention to aesthetic and design of everything, and they don't want to think about anything technical. They don't even need to as far as they do small scale projects that aren't too complex (technically). In this world, C4d is perfect - very slick, polished, super user friendly and as easy to use as possible. But then you see veteran users migrate from C4d to Houdini precisely because - C4d developers spent an enormous amount of time making their product polished with great user experience, but hey, this new project we've just been awarded is simply not doable with it's tools and workflows. I mean, it's not C4d is bad, it's just not been built to be used as either a heavy duty framework, nor a coding paradise for technical artists. On the other hand, Houdini emerged exactly from that environment thus it's obviously strong in different areas, and you can't really expect the same experience with scene thumbnails. It's like you're used to driving Porsche, but now you have a 4x4 - you can use any of these cars to drive to work but it's silly to expect the same driving experience (or to drive Porsche offroad). I don't mean to imply we shouldn't call for feature improvements or not to look at other apps. If it feels important to you, send them RFE. But I personally hope they will keep spending development time on innovations and making things solid, rather than adding convenience tools and polishing up interface (even thou Font SOP and working with curves is killing me too sometimes). Cheers.
  14. expandpointgroup() would enroll points in the order you had them selected. int pts[] = expandpointgroup(0, 'loop'); int num = len(pts); foreach(int i; int pt; pts){ float u = i / float(num - 1); setpointattrib(0, 'u', pt, u, 'set'); } expand_group.hipnc
  15. remove Vellum Constraint by Collision

Hi Guys . i create simple ball and animated , then convert ball to Grain and use " attach Geometry " to Read animation Position , but i want when my ball collide with wall or collision stuff remove Constraint Prim Part , i try use simple cheat pointcloud but still don't now how can Run my condition between "Geometry " and "Constraint Geometry" , maybe i think more complicate my mind , don't know how can fixed thanks Milad snowball.hip
  16. nah...it's all in the add, add to delete geo then reconstruct ....hint every 2 !! c'mon you can do it. oh sheesh, this thread is older than father time...why did i even bother with it ? NFI.
  17. Exporting .obj from a sim

after merge, add an unpack, rclick on unpack, save geo
  18. Hi folks, i have a Python Processor with 5 work items and i would like to create a dependencies based on a attribute WorkItemID that increase for each work item. How can i create dependency to cook those work items exactly in the order that i want and not in parallel ? Thanks in advance
  19. Material Preview In Arnold for Houdini Possible

Ah, I thought I might just be missing something. I may give the python approach a go at some point in the not too distant future. If I do, i'll drop back by and share. Thanks all.
  20. Hey everyone, does anyone know how to split the lines up into different colours being animated with shortest path and a carve node? This is what i've got so far, but the different colors aren't following lines
  21. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

Oh, this comes in really handy. If I understood correctly, I should remove volume contribution from my former lights. The volume will become black so I will have to add new lights to light up the volume and exclude the scene entirely from these so it doesnt add the newer lights. My only questions is: will I have the shadows from the volume casted onto the scene after I excluded it? So, at the end of the day, GI and volumes hate each other. I will end up having 2 sets of lights. One with Gi for the scene and the others without it (max GI trace depth set to 0?) you have been really helpful. Thanx a lot
  22. How to achieve Earthquake Destruction in Houdini?

Thank you for your time, i did animated ground plane and fracture wall with glue constraint. I did not get result as i wanted.
  23. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

yes meshligths are better than emissive materials but not as real light, especialy when it come to volumes. All these lights with volume contribution are probably not a good idea. Try to supress all volumes contribution and try to light your volume with a minimum of area lights to recreate your look. Then from these lights excude the scene or turn GI contribution to 0. In short a lighning for the scene and a lightning for the volume. The goal is to avoid GI interacting between the scene and all these light, with the volume. This kind of advice is from the devs themself. If you make still images it's not really a problem, but when it come to animation you have to take care how you build your lightning. Even with redshift [edit] Since it seems that all your materials are reflective but higly roughness you can try to reduce the maximum trace depth reflection to 2 even 1
  24. just if someone is interested, I got an answer from SideFX support: matrix xform = qconvert(orient); pretranslate(xform, -pivot); translate(xform, P); If you're applying that to a piece that already has a transform, its new transform would be `piece_xform * xform`;
  25. Yesterday
  26. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

Oh this is really informative I have a backround mesh light (the light coming out of space) with a 50 contribution scale, and a soft lesh shadow on the opposite side (behind the camera at 30 emission) the blue lights across the walls are at 15 and the others are actually low (bolts, scorch and sparks). So yeah. I emitted volumes with mesh lights EVERYWHERE jajaaj. I will have to take a look at the max sub sample intensity to know the math behind of it since I dont know anything about it but overall this is really usefull information I made the meshlights because im the documentation it said it was faster and cleaner with gi than emissives. I didnt know about volumes though. Experience for later works I gues huh jajaaj Edit: the volume is not emissive and every light is a mesh light
  27. Heightfield mask copy to geometry

Hi Gabor, the attribute from volume-node can transfer volume data. mask_to_grid.hipnc
  1. Load more activity