All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Direct Modeling HDA

Hi Alexey, Last year you said the upgrade from DM1 to DM 2.0 was going to be free, how do current DM users get the new version? thanks
  3. cloud with interaction

Thank you for this it helped me with my project
  4. Today
  5. Is it possible to not "record" display flag changes when editing a take?
  6. Yesterday
  7. Proper Branching Topology

Three weeks in and you're already in the deep end. This is a non trivial problem you're trying to solve. I've seen solutions come out of VFX studios, but they had multiple expert users (and math geniuses) working on it for months. What are your parameters for "proper branching topology" ? What are you trying to get that you don't already have? Certain kinds of UVs? What are you going to be doing with this geo? Projecting a texture? Baking on a 3D texture? Also your example file is based on some geo you didn't include. Please use Tommy, everyone has that geo.
  8. Direct Modeling HDA

DM 2 for Houdini released! Product link: https://gum.co/xKBKM What's new: General changes: 1. Soft Boolean 2.0: 1.1. Revamped core 1.2. Revamped UI 1.3. Better fillet build algorithm 1.4. Smart normals allows to get very nice models without tweaks 1.5. Faster then Soft Boolean 1.*, despite it always builds normals 1.6. Different analyzation modes 2. Insert Mesh 2.0 now uses smart normals, which leads to much cleaner results 3. Geometry Library 2.0 allows to save models with materials 4. Lots of DM HDAs fixes Modeler 2.0: 1. Edge Flow can be used to set flow for selected edges or using, previously inserted, multiply edge loops 2. Push tool now highlights edge under the mouse pointer, which leads to much stable use of RMB menu tools 3. Push tool can set flow for highlighted edge or loop 4. Flatten menu (Alt+F) now uses gestures. It is a very fast way to flatten components by left, right, top or bottom directions 5. You can now convert selected edges to loops with A+RMB hotkey 6. Align view is now works like in 3dCoat or ZBrush. Press Shift while rotating the viewport camera 7. ToolsPanel (Spacebar key) has now a "Custom" section - a place where you can use custom scripts or stock Houdini tools 8. "Relax Selection" tool, applied to edges, now uses a new Smooth Edges HDA. It allows to smooth selected edges as separate curves 9. More uses of mouse wheel in some modeling states 10. Extrude tool can now extrude edges in screen space or using Shift and Ctrl to move by the best axis 11. Selector is a powerful fast way to select geometry by features like, component normal or vertex count etc 12. "Pick Duplicate Material" tool can be used to quickly select material from face and assign it's copy 13. Extrude and MoveExtrude tools are now combined 14. Inset tool removed, use Extrude instead 15. Modeler menu now has more tools 16. Some hotkeys changes Modeler Topo: 1. New tools category "Topo" 2. Can be used to quickly create retopology of high-poly models 3. Use any of modeling tool and finish edits with a Project tool 4. Special red cursor indicates that you are in Topo mode 5. Native retopology tools are now better integrated into Modeler and Modeler menu 6. F1-F6 keys can be used to switch between TopoBuild SOP modes without actual state activation 7. Special TopoStripe tool can speedup retopology stage with drawing ribbons and circles Modeler UVs: 1. New tools category "UV" 2. "UV Auto Flatten" HDA automatically creates UV map. Can be used in combination with Unwrap and UV Layout tool 3. Unwrap HDA 3.0 is now integrated to the Modeler mode. Use Ctrl+RMB or Connect tool (V) to pick edges without needs for pressing buttons in the Parameters pane 4. Connect tool (V), called in UV viewport, sew edges interactively 5. MMB, Shift+MMB, Ctrl+MMB can be used to transform UVs quickly 6. Flatten menu (Alt+F) can be used to flatten UVs by left, right, top or bottom directions
  9. Can you point me to a recent movie (live action or animated) with a complex growth or destruction effect on moving (deforming) objects -- most like humans / animals ? When I say complex, I mean something more complex than an attribute transfer from a growing source.
  10. biological modelling methods

Great stuff, Nicolas. This is starting to look Giger-like already! You don't necessarily need to create UVs in SOPs, though. To project textures on those VDB meshes it's arguably more efficient to do in a shader: 1) Transform position to world space. 2) Curve IDs shown as random colors. 3) U value from curves in HSV colors. 4) Direction to nearest curve position. 5) Tangents from curves set to absolute. 6) Direction to curve oriented along tangents. 7) V coordinate enclosing each wire. 8) UV coordinates in red and green. 9) UV mapping an image texture. 10) Texture based displacement along curves or at least what happens when mandrills do the job ; ) curly_curves_shader.hipnc
  11. Vellum Constraint Attributes, what do they all do?

You shouldn't need to create any of the constraint primitive attributes outside of the ones created by a VellumConstraints SOP, which are all either internal to the solver, or output attributes (like stress). The VellumSolver detects changes to the constraint geometry topology (i.e. when new constraint are added), and performs a series of operations to update the constraints, including creating those attributes. There's an example of creating custom constraint primitives here, which shows the attributes you generally would need to create: https://vimeo.com/340544320#t=2h8m30s
  12. From what I see, you multiply the gravity by the timestep, so at frame 0 you'll have 0 because 0 * 9.80665 = 0, that's what Sumit said. So I guess that even if you cook the first frame it will stay at zero. Try to set it initial and don't multiply it by the timestep
  13. Smoke density based on ramp

Can you share us your hipfile so I can help you ?
  14. groups in dop

Make sure to check transfer attribute and groups in your assemble node at sop level
  15. I don't think it has a name - but the way you use it is, if you have two panes in different paths (for example, a network pane in /out/ and another one in /obj/geo1/) you can drag between them to set them to the same path. To test this out - pin the parameter window and then drag your network to the parameter.
  16. Not sure how you're generating this, but I have used a similar system with photoshop. If you keep each layer separate and bring the PSD into a copnet, you can draw out each one individually. Here's a GDC video that goes over this pretty in depth:
  17. groups in dop

Hi guys, if i want to use voronoi fracture configure on packed object, how can i bring my primitive group to dop?
  18. Proper Branching Topology

I seemingly deleted my graph on accident while editing my post, but here it is if anyone has any suggestions. Vine_PathGen_topopass.hiplc
  19. working with audio

@jsunandmax Have you found a solution on how to split the music?
  20. Audio channel to controll motion from MotionFX.

Hello, Is there a way to get the specific frequencies out of a given music file. like, piano sounds, drums and voice? Or would you say that if you want to those values, lets say drums only, you'll have to have these sounds separately. thanks
  21. not knowing anything about HDK, but there is a checkbox on Empty Object and therefore Flip Object too called Solve On Creation Frame, which is off by default that's why default external forces are not applied on the first frame, so possibly your implementation needs to consider that flag
  22. Flips Activevalue

Where do you put the sop solver? Inside Dops?
  23. Hi Everybody, I've got a few (hopefully) quick question about Vellum Constraint Attributes! So I'm basically using the vellum grain solver, with a custom constraint network made in SOPs. I've been able to get what I think is correct behaviour by adding my own attributes for "type", "restlength", "stiffness", "compressstiffness" e.t.c However I noticed that there are some attributes that the Vellum Solver seems to add, such as "pts[]", "stress", "L" & "typehash". Not a problem so far, except when I add a SOP solver to my DOPs to dynamically add constraints these attributes are missing. I've been able to get my constraints to work by correctly setting the "pts[]" attribute, however do I also need to be working out the "stress" and "L" values? Are "stress" and "L" influencing the solver, or are they more like data out attributes? Finally, do I need to worry about the "typehash" attribute? I can't easily upload a scene while I'm at work but if you guys think it will help explain my situation better I can do it when I get home! Thanks in advance! M
  24. Smoke density based on ramp

Hi DonRomano, this is what i want to do. multiply the density base on my color of the emitter(black to white). I dont know how to do it
  25. Hi, have you created packed geometry, I assume? If so then go to display option and turn one "Wire over packed geometry" check box. This method works in H 17.5 and I don't know how in H 17.0, I hope it similar.
  26. biological modelling methods

Thanks a lot for your answers, i will dig the two options you propose tonight. Konstantin, your solution would work for pure procedural shading, or with triplanar maps, but you could not generate UV out of it right? Meanwhile i was playing with super simple polar UV projection and got nice results, here is a test render, but it will not do the trick for more detailed image based displacement.
  27. Hi Kemijo. Had any luck with this?
  28. Orient of a point in a line

Hi noumiere, Looks like you merged the plain scattered points with the points that has the new normals. The scattered points won't really have any normal or orientation, so it won't give you the expected result. What you're after(as far as I understand it), is to have the same normal and orientation for all of your points. Which means that when we create our copy with the offset along the normal, we need those to have the same attributes. The only things I would change with your setup is the order; after the scatter do the wrangle and pointvop. Remove the line which offsets the points: @P += @N*chf("distance_mult");. Now create another wrangle after all these and add the offset line. This wrangle will create the copy we're after. Merge the output of this second wrangle with the output of the node before it. Now both copies of the points should have the same attributes. And finally copy to points. The line and resample is not necessary. It only proves that the setup works properly and allows you to add as many boxes with the correct orientation as you'd like.
  1. Load more activity