Houdini 16 Wishlist

10 hours ago, LaidlawFX said:

I'm curious why this would be an issue?

I noticed all the hot keys changed lately, such as r for shift+r, switch inputs. I can understand replacing some modeling ones for more complex options, as contextually they won't make sense as much anymore. 

The switch inputs hotkey was changed because it was an attempt to reduce the error that new users get by inadvertently typing with the network view in focus. Don't think that was an easy process to get through.

A check box or option to always cache all frames in mplay when flipping frames.  We don't have enough RV licenses at the office, so I'm often left to use mplay which is surprisingly very good at flipping frames but I wish I didn't have to click "cache all frames" every time, a toggle or a preference setting would be nice. 

14 hours ago, hkspowers said:

A check box or option to always cache all frames in mplay when flipping frames.  We don't have enough RV licenses at the office, so I'm often left to use mplay which is surprisingly very good at flipping frames but I wish I didn't have to click "cache all frames" every time, a toggle or a preference setting would be nice. 

Either Image > Cache All within MPlay, or mplay -C <files> from the command line.

Being able to convert mesh deformation to skin weights like in these examples would be great. Especially since we have that delta mush now.

Games are unlikely to get anything beyond linear blend skinning for a long time. Being able to turn complex simulations into skin weights would  be a dream come true, especially with Houdini's toolset!

On 6/30/2016 at 2:55 PM, malexander said:

Either Image > Cache All within MPlay, or mplay -C <files> from the command line.

That's exactly what I'm trying to eliminate.  When I load an image in, it should auto load and cache the entire sequence like RV does.  Having to manually tell it every time gets tedious when you have to check frames many times a day. 
rvPrefs.jpg

Edited by hkspowers

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I find myself opening a help card with no example.

I would like to see an example HIP file for every node in the help cards.

Oh and another thing.

It would be nice if the value in a field selected itself when you TAB into the field from another field. Say I click in the X axis of the translate field. That should completely highlight the value that is there. Why? Because most likely I clicked on the field to type a new value. Currently all that happens is the text carrot moves to the end of the line. At this point I have to press CTRL-A to highlight the value then type another one.

Often I might want to zero out a few fields quickly. In most other 3D apps I can just click in a field type the value, press tab type the new value, press tab and type a new value. This is quick and effective. In Houdini I have to click in the field press CTRL-A (which sometimes messes up) type my value. If I mess any of those keystrokes up the field will go into an error state which I then have to delete the field and start over.

By having the current value selected when you click on a field or activate context on a field a lot of mis-type time wasting can be avoided.

Edited by Atom

being able to control click to show multiple attributes in the geometry spreadsheet without the list of attributes closing after one click

and for example, if you stretch an attribute's column on the point attribute tab, it would be nice if it didn't do that to the other context views as well

Edited by dchow1992

On 15/07/2016 at 9:34 AM, Atom said:

Oh and another thing.

It would be nice if the value in a field selected itself when you TAB into the field from another field. Say I click in the X axis of the translate field. That should completely highlight the value that is there. Why? Because most likely I clicked on the field to type a new value. Currently all that happens is the text carrot moves to the end of the line. At this point I have to press CTRL-A to highlight the value then type another one.

Often I might want to zero out a few fields quickly. In most other 3D apps I can just click in a field type the value, press tab type the new value, press tab and type a new value. This is quick and effective. In Houdini I have to click in the field press CTRL-A (which sometimes messes up) type my value. If I mess any of those keystrokes up the field will go into an error state which I then have to delete the field and start over.

By having the current value selected when you click on a field or activate context on a field a lot of mis-type time wasting can be avoided.

not sure why you're not getting this behaviour - when I put down a null and mouse into the Translate X param it doesn't select all the values (I'd like it to actually - RFE#76660) but when I TAB into Translate Y, the entire value IS selected and as I TAB the next is selected and etc etc.

also - if you want to quickly set the value(s) of a parameter to default you can use CTRL+MMB

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mosssi said:

speed up cloth solver 100 times !!

It's mainly the collision bit that kills it currently, but wouldn't mind seeing some processing being able to be sent to a GPU too.

On 8/6/2016 at 4:57 AM, Lutojar said:

images in Houdini Digital Asset UI. Icons for buttons at least..

They snuck a bit of this in with the Button Parameters and their option Buttons Icons in either 15 or 15.5. For more complex UI you'll still need PYQT, or use a python panel.

It be cool if you could have a bit more dynamic button icons, i.e. you have a directory listing of assets and you can browse it and show an array of thumbnails in a traditional HDA.