All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Can't Get Rid of Particle Stepping

This my be stupid but just an idea from when i read you post. is the moving source cached with enough substeps?
  3. Can't Get Rid of Particle Stepping

Hi, I'm trying to get rid of particle stepping issues caused by a fast moving source. I've tried many different solutions but none have worked. Basically, I have a Debris Source SOP, and the points from there are fed into a POP Network. The stepping is due to the fast movement of the source particles from the Debris Source. Things I've tried: 1) Increasing substepping on the POP Network - doesn't seem to do much, and going too high makes the sim explode. 2) Adding a Trail SOP after the Debris Source - doesn't produce a good result, because the trails are created along a rigid straight trajectory between the interpolated positions. 3) Timeshift the Debris Source one frame back, use a Point Wrangle to interpolate the modified points and the original points with a lerp function. This creates a jittery motion path because the interpolation bias between the positions isn't constant (and if it were constant, this would essentially be like a trail SOP). 4) In the POP Network, switch on Jitter Birth Time and Interpolate Source. Helps somewhat, but still leaves visible gaps. 5) Point Jitter - really just fuzzes everything up. Really, I don't understand why substepping doesn't do the trick, isn't this exactly what it's for? There has to be a solution to this, it seems this would be a very common problem in FX... Thanks for any help!
  4. Today
  5. Voronoi with thickness

This was just uploaded a few weeks ago. Should be what you're after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en0m5uDD3NQ
  6. popdrag - slower particle in selected radius

Hi, your issue is in the pop drag node. You have "@falloff" in the activation slider, which is deactivating the whole node, because that expression isn't valid for that parameter. Think of activation as like a "global" parameter for the node. It can't be changed per particle, it's either on or off. Instead, you should leave Activation to 1 and use "VEXpressions" to multiply the drag (airresist) by your custom attribute. Also, you have "0.798" as the point number for your distance lookup in the VOP where you set the f@falloff attribute. You should be careful that it is set to the correct point number. Nodes changed are in red. particles_issue_jamesr.hip
  7. Voronoi with thickness

Hello everyone, I'm trying to add a layer of fracture in between of two voronoi cell. The goal is to have something like this but the red pieces as one object: If I do a 2 representation it would be something like this In between pieces black thickness would be my constant thickness piece of geo that I can re-fracture Finally, I would like to apply this a complex mesh, with boolean detailed first fracture: Does anyone have an idea of how to do this in a clean way? Thank you
  8. What I mean is using it for knowing how far is the point inside the VDB and move the point accordingly.Of course you can also using booleans i you want to cut it
  9. Cool. In this case I didn't actually have a grid, but a very lumpy thing so there were few actual inline points. That's a good thing to keep in mind, though!
  10. Make line length match width of object directly underneath

The facet node removes those inline points for you. line_intersect.hipnc
  11. Custom Velocity with Volume VOP

Hello there, I'm making a classic Ship Sailing Effects (ocean guided). I'd like to add a custom velocity to the bow of the ship in order for me to have a good turbolence like this: Through a Volume VOP (please see the hip attached) I created the following velocity: The shape I had it's what I want (straight velocity to the front and curved ones along the sides of the ship, so they can push the water for having a classic V shape). However, I'd like to invert the value of it: having higher velocity in the center e gradually less on the side. With my solution I have to much velocity on the side and less on the center of the bow. Basically I need the trails to be red (high) at Z=0 and blue (low) at the Max Z bbox. Furthermore, is my solution right? I blast a part of the bow, scattered it and then use a Volume Rasterize Attributes for creating the velocity. And, lastly, what kind of operation do I need to use in DOP in Volume Source? Somebody says "Add", somebody "Pull". What is the correct way? I hope you can help me. Any suggestion will be really appreciated. Ship_Body.obj Ship_Custom_Velocity.hipnc
  12. Peter Claes - Youtube channel

Hi all, As some of you may know I have recently started a youtube channel where I am sharing some techniques, setups and tips. My goal is to first cover some of the fundamental tools/setups and then build more elaborate setups. I wanted to share this with the odforce community too as this community will always have a special place in my heart :). Thank you for watching & have fun learning! The channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZMPkkgnAFghvffxaTh6CsA My first video:
  13. Perfect. I sort the points, use a wrangle to delete all but the first and last, and I'm good to go. This requires it to be even with the grid(/surface) in y, but it's easy enough to throw a transform after to raise it up afterwards. Thanks!
  14. Houdini Trainer Needed on Site in Baltimore for 1 Week ASAP

This sounds like fun! Any specific data formats that you guys are using? Also does this require any security clearance?
  15. nothing much the intersection analysis is just the default and the add is to make a line from the pts (which are coming from the intersection analysys)
  16. That's exactly what I want! What is happening with the intersection analysis and add?
  17. Is this what you want? Im kind of confused what you are asking.
  18. Exporting Material Diffuse Animation

You can use COPs for this
  19. That's actually the reverse of what I want--I want the points to match the edges of the grid (and preferably not move in y). That moves the line in y but doesn't match the length to the point of the grid where it drops down.
  20. Flip Reseed Flicker Problem Thread - Gas Seed Marker

Okay so using two GSM nodes has a far smoother result as it does not produce the kind of popping and bubbling HOWEVER, it does still present a problem in that the particles it seeds are random. Kind of like staring at a scatter sop with the seed set to $F and hitting play. I need a way to reproduce the function of the GSM node without completely deleting all points within that voxel. I need it to leave the desired density behind. Has anyone played around with custom reseeding tools or density control using sop solvers inside their simulation?
  21. Easy fix, use a grid that's bigger than your line and then ray SOP it down with a vector, not closest.
  22. Animation blending?

Hi! I'm a new Houdini user, this is my first post here. I'm having some trouble finding the answer to this question, sorry if it is something really basic that I've missed. I am animating a character, and I want him to run for awhile, and then stop. My idea was to use the animation layers, I created a run cycle that loops, and then I thought I would just animate the layer influence down from 1 to 0 over a few frames. When I change the value manually it does what I expect, fades out the run animation into the layer under it. But when playing the animation back with keyframes set nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
  23. SDF from density in Dops

Thanks, it's working, but unfortunately it' s much slower than the sop solver workaround. fog_to_sdf_dops_compare.hipnc
  24. I know how to use that to, well, detect intersections, but I don't see any options on it useful here. Is it one of the output attributes?
  25. Look for the intersection analysis node.
  26. I have a line hovering above another object (in this example, it's just a grid, but it's more irregularly shaped in what I need). I would like it so that the line length matches the width of the object directly underneath, without reorienting the line, and preferably without actually snapping it to the new point (in y). Ideally, if I could extract a bbox D_XMIN (/MAX) (or a getbbox min.x), but only at the point in z where the line is, then I could just translate the points to that location. I'm sure this is super-simple, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. A ray SOP gets me in the ballpark, but presents some problems, as in the pics. Thanks! lineray.hiplc
  1. Load more activity