All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. A new workflow has been introduced in H17. Cluster pieces is now a separate sop. You can find an example here.
  3. Smoke from scratch, add force

Maybe you forget "Gas Project Non Divergent", check this:
  4. Today
  5. Ground, ground, ground, ... and ground again

Hi Mani, a common way to increase surface details on terrains is to use displacement maps on regular quad meshes. Texture haven and HDRI haven are good places for getting free texture sets without registration: https://texturehaven.com/ https://hdrihaven.com/ terrain_tex.hipnc
  6. Voxels aren't linear. Half of your particle separation might cause 100x increase in collision resolution. Your simulation time may go up.
  7. what about using Retain Density by Attribute ? by default it has retention but maybe add a measure. then retain by either edgelength (perimeter) or area or curvature ? or paint it in yourself as last resort.
  8. I need adaptive polyreduce: more polygons where there is more detail, and less polygons where it's rather flat. A bit like what the remesh does when you select adaptive. Can I get the polyreduce to do that? because now it's all uniform
  9. Where can I find this feature in H18? cluster pieces in Voronoi fracture.
  10. Thanks. Will try enabling Collision Separation override and using ch("particlesep")*.5 as a start.
  11. I would use it the other way around. I would make the collision surface have a lower particle separation and raise the fluid particle separation. It's har to say without seeing the HIP.
  12. Ground, ground, ground, ... and ground again

Apologies. my last question was a bit vague indeed. Let me refine it: That image I attached in the beginning, a guy looking at a landscape. So there is the grid and the heightfield. I'll attach it again. How do I merge them nicely.
  13. So I am trying to put together a basic test scene for work. Just a box, a grid, a light, and a camera, and I cannot for the life of me get the lighting to render. pxr lights aren't doing anything, Houdini lights aren't doing anything. Nothing. The RIS node only wants to render the headlight. What am I missing?
  14. Vellum cloth scatter issues

Thanks HM - that solved the problem!
  15. If / Else group - VEX

Hi Jack, This should work: float @stiffness; int @group_inside; if(@group_inside==1) { @stiffness = 1; } else { @stiffness = 1000; } or in short: @stiffness = @group_inside==1?1:1000; Cheers, Luca
  16. If / Else group - VEX

while there are functions like inprimgroup() or inpointgroup(), whenever possible I like to use the shorthand @group_groupname syntax. So if you run over points and are looking for a pointgroup then your code would be if(@group_inside) { f@stiffness = 1; } else { f@stiffness = 1000; }
  17. Hey dudes, I'm trying to build a simple smoke solver from scratch to understand more how they work. I created a simple setup with density, temperature and buoyancy. Now I want to add a second velocity volume as a force to my simulation. But when I add the force, the velocity is increasing massively in a few frames. I have to mix my force with the existing velocity but I don't understand how to do this my_solver.hiplc
  18. I'd like to know the best way to use If Else type statements in Vex code. What I wanted to achieve: if( in the group name "inside") { @stiffness = 1; } else ( not in side the group name "inside") { @stiffness = 1000; } What's the correct vex code for this function Vex? I don't get this working. best jack
  19. Thanks. Still gaps in my full understanding of FLIP but wouldn't decoupling in this way mean that your collision resolution would be 'coarser' than the particle separation and make the issue worse? Just to clarify I've created a custom Voxel Size parameter on my Flip Object which is a product of Particle Separation * Grid Scale It is this custom Voxel Size parameter I am linking to on my Collision Source SOP>Volume>Voxel Size The problem seems to happen when I increase my resolution (reduce particle separation and hence voxel size).
  20. I have a simple scene with a direct light. If I add a texture to the light it does not tile the projection texture like expected. How could I achieve a tiling of the texture instead of just black color ? That would be very handy for stuff like caustics projection or whatever when you dont have extreme large texture maps. Thank you! Jon directional_lightMap.hip
  21. redshift Error opening the tile device

Just look in your target render folder for images. What is happening is that each time a frame is rendered, MPlay uses a little more memory. If your frame sequence is long enough, MPlay will consume all physical ram and produce the Tile error inside of Redshift when it requests more memory for the new frame.
  22. That GTX is the low end of Redshfit compatibility. It should get you up and running. I have a demo license that runs fine on my GTX660. But continued support of these now, low end cards, may not continue. You can try out the demo and see if it works.
  23. You can decouple collision separation from particle separation. Run your collision resolution at a fixed value and your particle separation at another.
  24. Large Text in network view

25. AFAIK the ONLY difference in the 2 attached simulations is that in the 'failed' one I have simply reduced my particle Separation from .05 to .025. In each case the resolution of my collision VDBs is directly tied to this resolution. WTF is happening? What should I try to fix this? I need the increased resolution. Pulling my hair out. Launchv11_025ps.mp4 Launchv8_05ps.mp4
  26. Question about proper way to animate your geometry when using for collision. If you animate some geometry and then use an Object Merge to bring this geometry inside another geo where you create your collisions (using either Collision SOP or VDB From Polygons) ,does this mean in essence you are recreating your collision VDBs on every frame? AFAIK the important thing is that your collision VDBs contain correct velocity values.
  27. Color into smoke from combustion

Curious about other's workflows getting color into smoke from a volume source or otherwise from combustion. Coloring moke alone is pretty straightforward. I'm wondering how others are getting color into smoke derived from combustion. Thanks!!
  1. Load more activity