All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Maya Camera to Houdini

Hi, I'm trying to export camera from the Maya to Houdini, I removed all the dependencies and kept outside without grouping, I'm trying to export in alembic formate, but still, the alembic node in Houdini is unable to load the camera in Houdini... Any ideas for doing this? Thanks
  3. Thank you despite is not extactly what I want, as trigger node does triggering, that is cool, but it's an ADSR enveloppe. it triggers itself in a way. I really need a keyframed clip or a ramp. i tried to make it to trigger a channel node but no succes for now. but thanks for the clue. This help. I still keep looking, and may be using animated instanced objects could be a solution.
  4. in vex use setprimintrinsic() and change the 'unexpandedfilename' attribute to a packed-disk primitive path on disk
  5. Yesterday
  6. Hi, Something that I couldn't figure out how to do in houdini... If I have a still object and an animated camera, how can i convert it to an animated object with a still camera and still get the same result? Any help is greatly appreciated!
  7. Mass makes things interesting

something like this? mass.hip
  8. Input in Unreal on a OBJ-Level HDA?

It was so much simpler than I thought - ch("../../tx")
  9. in your resample2 node check Tangent Attribute and name it: up then just rotate your "stitch" geo before copying by 90 in Z
  10. Input in Unreal on a OBJ-Level HDA?

So I have the same problem here - but my issue is that I need to get the Position of the OBJ level node that ths current HDA is contained within - if I connect it to itself with an Object_Merge it created an infinite loop and errors out!
  11. visualizing Bone names in viewport

Yes, you can turn on "Object names" (or Object paths if you really like information overload) in the Guide tab of the viewport Display Options.
  12. RBD rotation constraint

This is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. If I could make one final request about the most recent file shared(the one in the last post). Would you be able to explain what exactly is happening in the setup? At least the important parts like how the pivot is set up and how the constraints work. I would really like to know the breakdown of how this works so I could more easily recreate the effect in the future Thanks!
  13. invert matrix VOP with more than 2 packed object

thanks, I will try out your idea!
  14. play with this method. KOntroltangentsrleMath.hipnc
  15. Thanks but I'm not sure I understand. Would It be a hassle to get you to make a file for me? Would really appreciate it.
  16. Convert edges to lines, use polyframe to create vectors along this edges, and then create quaternion from N and vector along line.
  17. Hello I've just started dipping my toes in Houdini land, coming from c4d, and I'm really hitting a wall where tutorials and the wiki isn't helping me, being more an artist than a mathematician :-) So bear with me. I'm modeling 1 part out of 4 - of a round object, and trying to clone (copy to points) some torus objects onto some specific points. The part has 1 center piece, and 6 surrounding pieces, and a wan't my torus objects to be perpendicular from the center piece towards the surrounding pieces, so they form kind of a bridge, or some stitches if you will. I hope i make myself clear, English isn't my native language, but also see attached image. I've googled long enough to figure out that it might be some kind of issue with the quaternion rotating along the point normal - But I'm not much of a VEX guy, and I can't seem to figure out which nodes to use in VOPs. So my last resort is reaching out here and asking for help. See attached image - The selected rings is rotated pretty much correct. How do i rotate the remaining ones. Also see attached file. Hoping for some magic help on this one :-) Copy_Angle_Help.hip
  18. You should be able to use hou.PackedGeometry.setEmbeddedGeometry()
  19. You could use the Trigger CHOP for this VexTriggeredAnimation_1.hipnc
  20. Hi, is there a way of chaning the geo assigned to a packed primitive?
  21. So if I understand this right, you spawn for example, piece01 on Frame 1, then you spawn piece2 on Frame 2 or any other piece. You want to connect the 2 pieces together with a glue constraints as soon as it gets spawned into the simulation?
  22. Vellum cloth scatter issues

It's your scatter. Just add a frozen Timeshift after it.
  23. I'm stuck at the same point as well, in my case, emitting rbd packed objects fractured with a voronoi, glue won't work
  24. Some of the pyro clusters aren't even visible

I tried using your file i just changed the source of animated object from your wings to my stone, yet that didn't work. In my file i think the only problem is that scatter node but when i played with your file smoke object and bounding box is also a problem. I am attaching the file where i merged both(yours and mine) file. I've been trying to do this shot since last 3 weeks and i am facing the same problem(meteor doesn't emit fire) over & over again. I hope you are there to help me unless & until i finish this. Thank you @Atom! comet_collision_v07_1.hipnc
  25. FBXoutput

I pretty much exclusively do this with python as well but you can also manipulate the timeline to split things up into different files, if you dont want to dip into python example case you have a model with a bunch of pieces you want to export as individual .fbx files, put a connectivity sop set to primitives, and in a primitive wrangle - setdetailattrib(0, 'frame_max', i@class, 'max'); if(@class != @Frame-1) { removeprim(0, @primnum, 1); } Output to a filecache, fbx w/e, set to Save Frame Range, and put expression in the end frame parameter- detail(0, 'frame_max', 0) miller time
  26. Mass makes things interesting

Needing a little help with setting the mass for particles in a structured way. In the past, in Maya, I've been able to set the mass of particles by, for example, using the red channel from the colour set on the particle. If this is done with changing say, a noise texture over time it creates a nice structrued feel to the way the particles act. If for example, they all had random values on emission there wouldn't be any appreciable "structure" to the way they act and move. with "textured mass", it gives a feel a little like "grains" would, there are groupings etc So I've moved on and now getting to grips with Houdini and want to duplicate the same effect with emitting particles. I know I could hook up a texture from an emitting surface and link an attribute from map node to do this. I was wanting to look at the attribute from volume node instead, and am struggling with how this might be linked up. Partly because I'm in this case emitting from a curve, so no surface. Any clues or insights would be much appreciated
  27. [SOLVED] Polylines from near points

Fixed it! In a Detail wrangle: int npts = npoints(0); int connected[]; //for each point for(int i = 0; i < npts; i++) { if (inpointgroup(0, 'upper', i)) { //find all nearest lower pts int nrpts[] = nearpoints(0, 'lower', point(0, 'P', i), 1000, 1000); //loop through lower points for(int j = 0; j < len(nrpts); j++) { //if not already connected if(connected[nrpts[j]] != 1){ addprim(0, 'polyline', i, nrpts[j]); connected[nrpts[j]]=1; break; } } } } By creating a new array to store the 'connectedness' of each point I could remove the setpointgroup() logic. Makes sense now I think about it - the wrangle was pulling in the nearpoints (and their group data) from upstream each iteration!
  1. Load more activity