All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Restrict Groom Brush to a Specific Guide?

If you have your guide groom sop selected, hit whatever your hotkey to go into selection mode (i have mine remapped because im left-handed), then have the radial menu setup to have screen brush. And you will groom on the guide select. https://abvfx.me/portfolio/guide-width/ If you jump to the 3:20 mark you will see i use the radial menus to plant and then select the screen brush to sculpt. Groombear is not required for this functionality.
  3. Today
  4. Random retiming of alembic instaces

ok the abcframe workflow is working. i was able to offset the alembic animation and randomize speed. check out this thread and this tutorial by Tim Van Helsding : https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/79060/?page=1#post-339742
  5. Hey guys! @Iskander @konstantin magnus So I managed to get the CVEX working on newer versions of Houdini, turns out that the CVEX operator, becomes a CVEX VOP that can go inside a CVEX Shader Builder operator inside the shop context. Said that, I was able to follow Paul's instruction to get an idea of how the lens shaders should work, but now I'm a little bit stuck on reproducing the inverse panorama. I'm getting something like this at the moment with the following code on my lens shader: #pragma opname cylindricalCamera #pragma oplabel "Cylindrical Camera" #pragma hint x hidden #pragma hint y hidden #pragma hint Time hidden #pragma hint P hidden #pragma hint I hidden #pragma range r 0 10 #pragma range h 0 10 #include "math.h" cvex cylindricalCamera( float x = 0; float y = 0; float Time = 0; export vector P = 0; //Ray origin in Camera space export vector I = 0; //Ray direction in Camera Space export int valid = 1; //Whether the sample is valid for measuring //R and H of cylinder float r = 10; float h = 4; ) { vector pos = P * PI; P.x = sin(pos.x) * r; P.z = cos(pos.x) * r; P.y *= h; I = normalize(P * {-1 , 0 ,-1}); } For what it seems, looks like the sample position is not really changing at all. Some ideas would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
  6. HDK - Custom File Chooser

After looking at this one, I feel using the onCreated hom callback should give me what I want.
  7. Instance names in UE4

Hi Santos. Nice find! I will add one more piece of info to that. If you want to add multiple names the global values will stack into a multivalue attribute in details and unreal might crash. Instead of a global value apply the same Attribute on points, pack the geo, and transfer that attribute to the packed geo. Best Regards, Tom
  8. Underwater expression

Hi,Underscoreus! Thank you very much for your kindness answer! I think I got most of what I wanted to say across.I'm attaching a picture of what I want to do just in case. I'll try your idea,when I get home! Thank you so much
  9. Yesterday
  10. I have two curves, one branching off of another. But the child branch doesn't start at a vertex of the parent branch. The first vertex of the child does lie exactly along an edge of the parent, however. I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out how to insert a vertex in the parent branch that exactly coincides with the first vertex of the child branch but so far it eludes me. In reality my geometry is much more complex than this with multiple child branches coming off of a single parent as well as many generations of branches. But this is the most reductive case. Any thoughts? Berj
  11. Hi, no, I don't know Igor Zanic, the rabelway guy? He is from Serbia, I guess, our countries are not so close, unfortunately, especially now during the COVID, I wish I know him did you try with a soft pin? Can you upload a hip file?
  12. We are moving to URL based filepath's using a custom Asset Resolver in Solaris. I would like to implement a custom file chooser across the entire Houdini session that could return a URL type from a selection. I can see you can toggle between OS and Houdini in your prefs. I can see some File System classes like FS_InfoHelper can work with the value in the parm. Would I need to to extend the File parm template type? Is this even possible? Is there something in HOM that could do this? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers, Aaron.
  13. Having some hard time figuring out why Vellum Attach to Geo doesn't pick up tangent/normal to glue it same way as Pin to Animation does by default, any ideas ? Pls check the hip file attached. VellumConstraints.hip
  14. foreach loop iteration file path

Thank you for your reply. I didn't realize that spare parameters were not used with expressions like this. I have used -1 to reference the metadata node in the past with out a problem. Thank you for suggesting the strcat function. Unfortunitly I couldn't make my expression work. It's starting to become quite messy. I've decided to use another approach with material overrides. thanks again for you time in answering my question I do apricate it.
  15. want to setup a grain sim but my grains are not shaded correctly in the viewport: Dont find a solution to display the grain correctly. Have anyone some advice please? Never had that before...
  16. Using external IDE?

can I put them inside my PYTHONPATH?
  17. Using external IDE?

For simple "autocomplete" and function descriptions you'll just have to copy the hou.py and hou.pyc files from the Houdini install directory to either where you've installed python or the pythonlibs folder of your application of choice. If you are talking about fully integrating a separate IDE with a live Houdini session that might be a bigger challenge.
  18. Hey guys! Glad to see there is a little bit of light to this setup. I am currently facing the exact same problem, where I need to render that inverted panorama. Wanted to ask if you guys were able to figure out how to define a CVEX lens shader in newer versions of Houdini, I am a little bit lost right now because at is noted the workflow for CVEX operators changed, and for what I have researched seems that maybe I am on the wrong direction. In some part of the documentation says that I need to make first an .vlf file and then turn it into an HDA, that is for Solaris/Karma which I don't think is what I need. Seems that it should be simpler than that. Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble! Cheers!
  19. Using external IDE?

how can I use external IDE to code python? vscode or sublime text
  20. Underwater expression

Heyo! I'm by no means an expert here so if anyone else wants to chime in with their ideas or tell me that mine are terrible be sure to do so! So just to confirm, you are trying to make a shot where the camera goes from above water, then "hits" the water surface causing a splash, and then after that the camera is below water and while the camera is underwater you want to have some underwater bubbles. If I missed something or misunderstood please correct me, but for now, I'll continue with the assumption that what I described above is what you are after. So for this kind of shot, I'd recommend dividing up your shot into separate components and then bringing them together at the end, either merging your setups together before render or rendering them separate and bringing them together in a compositing program like Nuke, After effects, COPS or Fusion (or anything else). To break this up and make it as easy as possible to work with I think I'd divide it up like this: - Ocean surface/splash sim don by itself. Just make a simple FLIP flat tank and drop/animate a sphere into it (by dropping I mean just making a super simple RBD sim of only a single sphere falling then importing the result into the FLIP sim as a result). For this you might even be able to get the results you want by using and adjusting the "Crown Splash Particle Fluid" shelf tool since it is already set up to make a splash from the get-go. Then depending on the scale of your splash, is it supposed to be a 1 meter tall splash or just 10 centimeters tall, you might want to do an additional whitewater sim to add foam and spray to the liquid surface. - Next, I'd make the underwater bubbles in a completely separate setup. Like you said most people use volumes here that they then turn into polygons for rendering and that is probably the best/easiest way of getting the deforming, blobby shapes. If you are more after more "individual" bubbles, not so deforming and blobby you could probably just copy sphere onto points or particles moving but that comes down to how you want the bubbles to look. - Lastly for the background behind the bubbles when you are underwater it'll depend a little on how you imagine it looking. If the scene is out in the middle of the ocean and you can't see the ocean floor then I'd recommend trying to make a background in post with After effects, Nuke, etc etc. It'll mostly just come down to making a dark blue to slightly lighter blue gradient and adding some shimmer. Tim's video here is a great example of that. If you can see the ocean floor however I'd recommend making a fog volume that has a lower density near your camera and that gradually becomes denser and denser the further away from the camera it gets. Doing that and adding some blue-colored tint to the volumes volume shader will hopefully help you get the same look as in an ocean shot where tons of dirt and small particles obscure stuff the further away from you it gets. Hopefully, that does not all sound like gibberish or like it is completely undoable. If any of it was unclear or you'd like a more detailed explanation of one of the things I mentioned just leave a reply here and I'll have a look when I am free! Good luck!
  21. foreach loop iteration file path

Hey! There are a few things with your expression that might be messing it up. The first is in your detail expression. I don't know what "-1" is meant to be pulling data from, but when using the "point", "prim" or "detail" expression in hscript we usually feed it the absolute or relative path to a node instead of feeding it inputs like we do in vex. For example "/obj/geo1/foreach_begin1_metadata1" or like in your spare parameter "../foreach_begin1_metadata1". That should be enough to fix it, at least it seems to work for me in my little test scene, but if not then the second thing you could also try is to splice the strings together with the "strcat" hscript function. Since you are splicing together things before and after an expression it might look a little messy but something like this: `strcat(strcat("H:/Assets/1x/Asset_",detail(-1,“iteration”,0)),".png")` Hope some of that can help you fix your issue!
  22. Last week
  23. Restrict Groom Brush to a Specific Guide?

https://gumroad.com/l/groombear must have for grooming artist, imho, restriction by mask included. also you can split guides, do your things and merge them back.
  24. Check it out at https://www.cgforge.com/course/houdini-for-the-new-artist-ii
  25. Deleting RBD Clusters for Splintered Wood Effect

@underscoreus I gave the Assemble SOP a try and indeed it does exactly what I need it to! Many thanks for the quick response! NpF
  26. foreach loop iteration file path

sorry for the double post.
  27. Need expertise

Found some picturein some Asia Forums... just wondering ...Can this be of some value for someone ? What is this for what ? Codes water cccc MM.hiplc
  28. How can I loop through texture map names in a foreachloop. I thought this should work with a spare parameter: H:/Assets/1x/Asset_`detail(-1,“iteration”,0)`.png
  29. How can I loop through texture map names in a foreachloop. I thought this should work with a spare parameter: H:/Assets/1x/Asset_`detail(-1,“iteration”,0)`.png
  1. Load more activity