All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks Ben. I think I follow you for the most part. Transforming the pivot for each image in the forEach loop will be easy once I figure out how to use teximport to add the width and height as attributes on the point. I originally thought I would add imageResolution to the python import script at the top. I am a total beginner with VEX, so forgive me if this looks bonkers. I am getting a little lost on the syntax when they refer to the "map" in the documentation. s@imgFile doesn't appear to be correct: Also, since I am still trying to learn what language to use in which context, why did you need to / choose to use HScript in the trace node above?
  3. Random vellum pressure

They may have used some form of animated mask or mass transfer. You can draw seams with color and inflate the non-seams. ap_vellum_mask_based_seams.hiplc This one is using an attributefrommap node to load in a grid texture map.
  4. Today
  5. Open world roads

@Pancho No, the data I am using in that example are scans from Thueringen Geo-Department (working on a project for the Planetariumn in Jena). https://www.geoportal-th.de/de-de/Downloadbereiche/Download-Offene-Geodaten-Thüringen/Download-Höhendaten Maybe you can find a long road in that data - there is quite some detail. But of course, depends what you need. I use to check first on google maps to find an area that I could use, than I hope there is LiDAR data available and in Houdini I modify the point cloud with the Heightfield tools if more details are needed. But thx for the Info that DJI has a LiDAR scanner... I was actually thinking to build one (there are some awesome DIY LiDAR scanners on hackaday.com). Photogrammetry could be a solution if you only need the road - and if you have a drone and fly slowly over the ground and than use that data with Heightfields...
  6. Find parameter value from list to use in expression

Or maybe you can just use Switch Sop with $F in the input parm
  7. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

Hi, you can also use intersect_all function, to detect the number of intersections, which can help you to find the inner prims, but this function works better with 3d geometry, so it might be better to extrude your shapes before you use the intersect function. 2D_shape_intersect_all.hipnc
  8. Parent Constraint

Hi , If i have two object , "Obj A" and "Obj B". for eg - Obj A have animated tranlate , rotation and scale values and its moving from grid postion 0 to 50. I want to parent Obj B with Obj A, but only Translate , nither rotate nor scale. Is it possible?? or what is trick to do that pls help.
  9. Hello! When is Houdini 18.5 due?
  10. Open world roads

Wow! I'll check the wip! Did you capture the lidar yourself? Need to capture something like a long road. Thought to mount a lidar like the one from DIJ on a bike, but not sure whether this will work. Tried photogrammetry. While Nuke is able to retrieve a pass the point clouds are a mistery. Agisoft on the other hand comes up with great points clouds, but looses the spatial sequence, so instead of one long passage, you get a wired mix of small chunks. Still looking for a solution. Something which works as Nuke could/should work.
  11. Random vellum pressure

Hey ! I am trying to learn how to achive this kind of effect ! Do you have any idea / tips how to achieve something similar with vellum pressure controlled by an attribute that "inflate and then deflate" with this kind of random poping effect a grid shape like this one ? Credits : https://crea.st/Balloon-2019 Thanks in advance !
  12. Find parameter value from list to use in expression

Merge all variations and delete in wrangle all except current frame and put it to blend
  13. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

Hi "Tesan"; Thank you for your reply. Your solution is helpful in this case, but is there any solution for complex shapes with a lot of inside shapes?
  14. Well you already know what to do. Just move/offset the pivot or point position of the point you're copying to and set the scale attribute. You can do that before copying your traced images, take a look at the instance attributes which will get picked up by the copytopoints sop. If you choose to use teximport vex function, you don't need to put it inside the for loop since it runs over all points anyway. Both python and vex have the same result, teximport, in my case, is just way faster.
  15. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

2D_shapefix.hiplc
  16. Open world roads

@Pancho What do you mean? I got MASSIVE LiDAR data from Houdini into UE4 with crazy amount of details. Check my LiDAR Post under WIP. But yea, I think working in UE4 but coming from a normal 3D app is difficult first - but UE5 is coming and it looks awesome. Right now I am playing with the Dev-Rendering version of UE4 4.26 where you can use volumetric clouds. Its not as easy as it looks in the video here, but it works and gives crazy lighting effects: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/702287886 Also check that video, great for beautiful ground fog etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7-rTzfmCo Grüße, sant0s
  17. Mantra Error -1073741819

GameDev tools is problem of it
  18. Hi; I tried to create a surface out of my imported shape (e.g. a DXF file) using a "Planar_Patch_From_Curves" SOP, but it fills the inside shapes as you can see in the image below. How can I fix it? Thanks for helping. 2D_shape.hip
  19. Open world roads

I just used UE4 as a render engine for some animations. All this VAT to export animations is a pain. Houdini engine should take care of this. The videos about the LABS tool pretend that it is simple, but it's like "Pitfall", the C64 game. I guess I don't need to get into details. The nurse was pretty busy whiping away the foam from my mouth for hours, days, weeks? : ) The pain with every new package is not doing some stuff, but to get the philosophy of how things are done. In H I don't care about a few 1.000k, but in Unreal? So just the get info whether it's bessed to export spline, geo or whatever is difficult to get. That's almost as terrible as converting a receiving high res DEM models! : ) Cheers!
  20. Houdini Docs on tablet

They're available online: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/
  21. Destruction I - RBD Simulation

CG Forge just released a new course that's perfect for those who are new to RBD simulations! Check it out at cgforge.com
  22. Am alone to think the Sidefx Polyextrude could be improved? Here, it was on a planar shape but putting down a full complex networks to bevel pieces of a voronoid fractured relatively simple geo, gets me wonders. I guess i missed something? And the custom curve profil input, i don't know but itùs realyl a fight for such a basic but essential operattion. Or am i unlucky with my with my model or so? pbevelhave
  23. Vellum Grains Character Disintegration

Rendering with Redshift for Part 2!
  24. Hi all, I'm trying to build a setup that allows me to input an unknown number of blends into a blend shape SOP and will cycle through each blend state one by one based on the current frame number. So I was imaginging it would go something like this: if($F == *myCurrentInputNumber*, 1, 0); I've achieved this by doing it manually by cutting and pasting my expression and incrementing the value by 1 for each input, but I'd like to have a setup that does for me based on how many inputs I have connected to my blend shapes. Any ideas about how to referecne numerical value of each shape in an expression? Thanks in advance
  25. Thank you Gorrod! This is a huge step forward. I completely missed the file directory parameter. I think that alone will open up a lot of opportunities for this project in the future. I was able to duplicate your python code for my Json file and I pointed the img directory to my mask files (rather than the corresponding images you see above). The results of the Trace are heavy, but manageable with some optimization and I can at least see the way forward. The one part of your network I duplicated, but definitely didn't understand was the HScript you added to the "image input" bar for the trace node: `points(-1, 0, "imgFile")` - Until I looked it up here: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/expressions/points.html - (I have struggled to understand when I am supposed to use HScript, when VEX etc.) I also need to understand dependencies better. My next task is to pull out the scale of each image as an attribute on the primitives (maybe?) so they don't all come out extremely tiny. I also need to move the pivot to the upper left corner for each. Right now the scale is set to 1m per pixel of the original image for the points, but the carved up images come in at a single universal scale. I am going to try to create an attribute wrangle in the for each loop that uses this function: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/functions/teximport.html ... although I wonder if I would be better off tying this in Python with this function: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/hou/imageResolution.html (all advice is welcome) You can see how wonky the scale and p ivot positions are here: I am hopeful that this .zip will not cause the same errors in the .hipnc file as before. I also made sure that the correct json was inside. Melgaco2_Houdini_Import_Sharing.zip
  26. Nuke from TOPs generic processor

Hello, Does anyone know how to appropriately run Nuke in execution command line mode(-x) from the TOPs generic processor? On my end running 18.0.391 the tasks keep failing but the log shows nothing expect the typical Nuke command line startup messages(version and build information and nothing else). When I wrapped the Nuke command line in a shell script and ran than I see that I'm getting a segmentation fault I'm assuming from Nuke and that's why the process fails. Any ideas?
  1. Load more activity