Houdini 18 Wishlist

Alexey Vanzhula

Modern is a very relative and very short perception in time
On the other hand, in most cases, software that has switched to flat design has become less readable.
The latest one being substance designer and Painter.

Studies have been done showing that the reaction time with a flat design interface increases.
In particular, the recognition of interactive areas is becoming more difficult

Edited by flcc
  • Like 1

Once again, I request talking lip synch characters.

Here is the way I want it to work.

I supply a wave file that is used to activated the mouth.

I supply a text file that contains the words that the wave file says.

I press a button and I get a talking head that I can render. The head should be shapeable, using controls, similar to make human or other character generating tools.

I think that's it, two files, one button.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flcc said:

Modern is a very relative and very short perception in time
On the other hand, in most cases, software that has switched to flat design has become less readable.
The latest one being substance designer and Painter.

Studies have been done showing that the reaction time with a flat design interface increases.
In particular, the recognition of interactive areas is becoming more difficult

I agree the appearance of "modern" can be deceiving and hide a less optimal UI. but I currently use Houdini with a (kind of) flat theme and I'm pretty sure I can find anything in the UI in less time than with the default heavily bevelled and convex-like shelf tools, and find it more more legible (I'm less distracted to elements other than text or icons) and of course pleasant to the eye. But that's a subjective opinion with no measurable data to support it. just my increased feeling of comfort.

I think that what we have seen at siggraph it’s impressive , lops and karma looks amazing so thanks sidefx for this big effort (the community was expecting something and you guys just did it better :) ) ! Good job !

few points for next improvements though ! 

-better flipbook: actually it is is really good , love it, the sequence list is a bit confusing , there should be some way to fire up a flipbook with some proper name instead of just the time it was created so it’s more easy to compare. The export dialogue needs some love too. At least some sort of preset saving. We can use OpenGL rop , but flipbook it’s just click and go and for indie user that do motion graphic it is really important. Missing C4d easy of use sometimes for this kind of frequent  operations ; ) 

- possibility to import in to the viewport foreground or background images/ sequences possibly with alpha to help us with shots and change as well the color of the safe bars

-the post from sebkaine looks dope, have the possibility to save snapshot from viewport inside the node graph is cool, also background images should be included inside hip file to make easier to share hip file with images notes or whatever 

-the pre-flight tool is cool , some improvements to manage directly files inside it would be awesome, also if we can sort files from kind type would be nice

- look dev is very important, glad you introduced hierarchy in lops, this is exactly what I was expecting! Btw in geo context it feels very slow to select cameras and lights. If we can move  and select those directly in the node graph or viewport like in C4d would be great . Btw with lops workflow will change so I’m not sure ! : )

- drag and drop files or images like texture or files inside viewport asking with which node open it up is kind of a must feature to speed up workflow . As well the load and save dialogue (at least in windows) needs some serious upgrade 

-hope to see soon some pbd interaction with rigidbodies 

-a good and solid solver for macro fluids is really missing 

-pdg are great but I don’t get how to use for simple wedging operation on  all cores running one sim with attribute wedges one by one , should be easier , the information on the manual is almost incomplete right now!

-a lot of masterclass tutorials! In the last months they were awesome !

Thanks sidefx team!

EDIT

-Cops are amazing , with karma and the usd workflow I expect to create in real-time textures that are applied to viewport. Please give cops some love !! We have a tool that looks just like substance designer!!

-the animation keyframe editor needs some update too, it has to be more solid, too many bugs and missing functionality compared to other toolset

Edited by majinpu
  • Like 1

adaptive resolution flip solver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1s49-lrBk&t=0s

style transfer upresing for smoke and possibly other effects

I love cops but it often crashes, especially when viewing a live texture so some stability improvements would be great.

For cops I would love to be able to write a kernel directly in houdini as opposed to the external function it seems to call currently.

As an above post says, you may as well go full substance with cops

Hom is great

Cheers

Rigging: a)ability to lock weight painting option

B) ability to selecting individual vertex,loop or polygony and assign and smooth  weight oppotion.

c) add hammer tool like maya

d) good mirror weighting tool.

Animation:a) fast viewport when animating

B) inbetween tool and space chart tool

c) ghost tool or better onion skinning with realtime playback

d) ability to draw on the screen( like cinema doodle tool or grease pencil).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small one, but would be nice to have:
Would be great to have the blackbody shop work on points in an attribute vop rather than only on fields/voxels in a shader. (perhaps this is already possible and I'm missing how to do it.)
With Arnold you can use a blackbody to shade all kinds of things (points, polygons, voxels) and I like the way it ramps the colors. Would be great to have the blackbody available similar to how a regular 'ramp' is available.

4 hours ago, pclaes said:

Would be great to have the blackbody shop work on points in an attribute vop rather than only on fields/voxels in a shader

purely technically it's possible, however I've never been a big fan of Houdini's blackbody shader as it seems off and weird that the tonemapping has to be used, but for what it's worth here is the setup as it's used in the pyro shader

pointVOP_blackbody.hip

Edited by anim
  • Like 1

Curve node. Really lacking multicurve. It’s like in the Stroke node, when you can create many curves with one node. It would seem that you can make your own asset, but it is in this case that it is not so simple. One of the most commonly used nodes.

It is hoped that the program will cease to crash with or without. True to this hope for several years. Still, I pray that the developers will finally get rid of the wretched, nightmarish dialog box for opening and saving files. The standard windows window is much more convenient and functional. I don’t know how long it takes to understand this. Yes, I am angry. And all because the program just once again crashed. Without any reasons.

11 hours ago, anim said:

purely technically it's possible, however I've never been a big fan of Houdini's blackbody shader as it seems off and weird that the tonemapping has to be used, but for what it's worth here is the setup as it's used in the pyro shader

pointVOP_blackbody.hip

Agreed, many an explosion has been rendered with a nice black>orange gradient that will make the blackbody shader look like the joke it is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, asmartkid said:

I agree the appearance of "modern" can be deceiving and hide a less optimal UI. but I currently use Houdini with a (kind of) flat theme and I'm pretty sure I can find anything in the UI in less time than with the default heavily bevelled and convex-like shelf tools, and find it more more legible (I'm less distracted to elements other than text or icons) and of course pleasant to the eye. But that's a subjective opinion with no measurable data to support it. just my increased feeling of comfort.

How flat can you make the UI using the color scheme files? I wonder if anyone has pushed it as far as it can go?

On 8/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, Elevenlevel said:

It is hoped that the program will cease to crash with or without. True to this hope for several years. Still, I pray that the developers will finally get rid of the wretched, nightmarish dialog box for opening and saving files. The standard windows window is much more convenient and functional. I don’t know how long it takes to understand this. Yes, I am angry. And all because the program just once again crashed. Without any reasons.

They offer the use of the standard file chooser for Mac only - and I don't know why they don't offer it for Windows. There is an environment variable (see 'hconfig') or a pref - https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/windows/mainprefs.html

Do you ever check the stack trace for the reason behind crashes? If so, do you ever report what you find? 

• 2 weeks later...

Would be cool to be able to add easily comments to flipbooks in MPlay and be able to save the images with them.

I know is possible to use OpenGL camera comments but sometimes they get cropped and for change them you have to launch the flipbook again.