All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. for loop - inheriting v attribute

Hello, I am practicing for loops in houdini and I am in the middle of a pretty wacky but fairly simple example of just moving points around, setting color, setting velocity etc. I also have some nested if statements in this for loop just for practice. My issue is that, when I create new points within the loop, it's not remembering what the velocity attribute is on each iteration of the loop. It only sets it on the last iteration of the loop. This is much easier to explain by showing a picture/ and scene file. Hopefully someone can explain to me whats going on here.. Thank you forloop_add_v_attrib.hipnc
  3. Today
  4. Filling a container with RBDs from bottom

Toadstorm had a pretty good solution for this: Scene file at the bottom of the thread
  5. How to cap and triangulate 3d "holes"

well can you upload some different geos to illustrate different cases ? otherwise I can't sit here and cater for all cases imaginable, and you wonder why I get peeved at ppl who hide their files but want perfect solutions in return. No, not having a go at you at all, you uploaded your file, unlike a lot of other ppl.
  6. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

or it could be this simple... vu_2D_shape.hiplc
  7. How to cap and triangulate 3d "holes"

Thank you for taking a crack at this Noobini, I guess I didnt explain the issue properly. The example file is just dumbed down to show what I'm trying to do without leaking game assets onto the forum. These are similar shapes to what I'm dealing with, but are lacking the complexity. my geo is often not built on axis (I dont think matchsize or flattening via transform will work). I'm exporting an entire map from unreal, and the level designers move things all over. In order to work on a chunk of the massive FBX with hundreds of nodes I've had to use mergeObject sop to cut the file down to just what I need. I no longer have transform information for these meshes. There's a ton of detail in the geometry not represented in the example file. The parts are also of vastly different thickness, I've used it on a few assets but eventually the insides of part of the mesh start pushing through before the rest of the mesh is thick enough. So, to hone my question a bit better. Is there a way to fill nonplanar holes, and automatically add edges to that cap where an edgecusp/normal sop would sharpen normals?
  8. How to cap and triangulate 3d "holes"

here's an improved version in case you want to retain as much orig geo as possible: - get the newly created back faces - add them to the orig geo (ie. retain orig geo) of course I can't guarantee it works in 100% cases as I don't have all cases for exhaustive tests....only you can do that. vu_divideHelp2.hiplc (just realised in step get_backfaces, you can change that to Union and ignore the next step add to orig)
  9. How to cap and triangulate 3d "holes"

here you are... (will accept virtual beers !!!) vu_divideHelp.hiplc
  10. Yesterday
  11. Open world roads

Ah, don'T build one. THe ones I've seen are more a gadget, than a lidar scanner. The two from DIJ are between 800-1500€ I think. ONe seems to be a single scanner, the other a triple one. Both are not rotating, but scanning in one direction. Wonder whether the speed of a car at 30-50km/h would still deliver nice results. Scanning distance is something like 40m max as far as I can remember.
  12. Thanks Ben. I think I follow you for the most part. Transforming the pivot for each image in the forEach loop will be easy once I figure out how to use teximport to add the width and height as attributes on the point. I originally thought I would add imageResolution to the python import script at the top. I am a total beginner with VEX, so forgive me if this looks bonkers. I am getting a little lost on the syntax when they refer to the "map" in the documentation. s@imgFile doesn't appear to be correct: Also, since I am still trying to learn what language to use in which context, why did you need to / choose to use HScript in the trace node above?
  13. Random vellum pressure

They may have used some form of animated mask or mass transfer. You can draw seams with color and inflate the non-seams. ap_vellum_mask_based_seams.hiplc This one is using an attributefrommap node to load in a grid texture map.
  14. Hey all, Houdini novice and Maya expert here. I've searched google and beat my head against this for days, and am finally breaking down to ask for help. I've been getting a lot of game-rez geometry that has deleted geometry to save backfaces for realtime, but I need to make all objects solid so that I can voronoi shatter them. I need to fill in the open back areas with some sort of sensible, nonmanifold polygon geometry for later destruction. There's hundreds of meshes like this in the scene, and modelers tend to move things around necessitating reloading and re-repairing geometry, so fixing this stuff manually is a non-starter. Requesting clean/solid geometry is on the docket, but these changes cant take days/weeks for scheduling, and I need to make progress without artists massaging these assets for me. Example: Red geo is what I'm given, the underside is what the player sees. Greeen geo is a divide+remove shared edges+divide to triangulate it. As you can see the ends are trash. Blue geo is what I need. I've manually split the good corners and then run a divide to triangulate again. I know I can poly>vdb>poly these meshes, multiplying the polycount by many times, and breaking UVs/material assignments by polyReducing. This is far from ideal as making attractive voronoi shatters will increase geo by many times again. I could fix this in maya in seconds by filling the hole (backside gap), triangulating, then quadrangulating the cap. Unfortunately the source art is a clipped down export of an entire level from Unreal. This reduced file is over 1gb and cant be opened by maya. I was only just barely able to open the file in Houdini and clip the detail down to just the area I needed to work with. I'm at a loss and burning time beating my head against simple problems with easy fixes in maya that dont seem to have analogues in Houdini. I've learned a ton from my failings in Houdini, but these types of issues stop my progress completely. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you, Chris L divideHelp.hip
  15. Open world roads

@Pancho No, the data I am using in that example are scans from Thueringen Geo-Department (working on a project for the Planetariumn in Jena). https://www.geoportal-th.de/de-de/Downloadbereiche/Download-Offene-Geodaten-Thüringen/Download-Höhendaten Maybe you can find a long road in that data - there is quite some detail. But of course, depends what you need. I use to check first on google maps to find an area that I could use, than I hope there is LiDAR data available and in Houdini I modify the point cloud with the Heightfield tools if more details are needed. But thx for the Info that DJI has a LiDAR scanner... I was actually thinking to build one (there are some awesome DIY LiDAR scanners on hackaday.com). Photogrammetry could be a solution if you only need the road - and if you have a drone and fly slowly over the ground and than use that data with Heightfields...
  16. Find parameter value from list to use in expression

Or maybe you can just use Switch Sop with $F in the input parm
  17. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

Hi, you can also use intersect_all function, to detect the number of intersections, which can help you to find the inner prims, but this function works better with 3d geometry, so it might be better to extrude your shapes before you use the intersect function. 2D_shape_intersect_all.hipnc
  18. Parent Constraint

Hi , If i have two object , "Obj A" and "Obj B". for eg - Obj A have animated tranlate , rotation and scale values and its moving from grid postion 0 to 50. I want to parent Obj B with Obj A, but only Translate , nither rotate nor scale. Is it possible?? or what is trick to do that pls help.
  19. Hello! When is Houdini 18.5 due?
  20. Open world roads

Wow! I'll check the wip! Did you capture the lidar yourself? Need to capture something like a long road. Thought to mount a lidar like the one from DIJ on a bike, but not sure whether this will work. Tried photogrammetry. While Nuke is able to retrieve a pass the point clouds are a mistery. Agisoft on the other hand comes up with great points clouds, but looses the spatial sequence, so instead of one long passage, you get a wired mix of small chunks. Still looking for a solution. Something which works as Nuke could/should work.
  21. Random vellum pressure

Hey ! I am trying to learn how to achive this kind of effect ! Do you have any idea / tips how to achieve something similar with vellum pressure controlled by an attribute that "inflate and then deflate" with this kind of random poping effect a grid shape like this one ? Credits : https://crea.st/Balloon-2019 Thanks in advance !
  22. Find parameter value from list to use in expression

Merge all variations and delete in wrangle all except current frame and put it to blend
  23. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

Hi "Tesan"; Thank you for your reply. Your solution is helpful in this case, but is there any solution for complex shapes with a lot of inside shapes?
  24. Well you already know what to do. Just move/offset the pivot or point position of the point you're copying to and set the scale attribute. You can do that before copying your traced images, take a look at the instance attributes which will get picked up by the copytopoints sop. If you choose to use teximport vex function, you don't need to put it inside the for loop since it runs over all points anyway. Both python and vex have the same result, teximport, in my case, is just way faster.
  25. Surface from 2D imported (DXF) shapes, issue...

2D_shapefix.hiplc
  26. Open world roads

@Pancho What do you mean? I got MASSIVE LiDAR data from Houdini into UE4 with crazy amount of details. Check my LiDAR Post under WIP. But yea, I think working in UE4 but coming from a normal 3D app is difficult first - but UE5 is coming and it looks awesome. Right now I am playing with the Dev-Rendering version of UE4 4.26 where you can use volumetric clouds. Its not as easy as it looks in the video here, but it works and gives crazy lighting effects: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/702287886 Also check that video, great for beautiful ground fog etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7-rTzfmCo Grüße, sant0s
  27. Mantra Error -1073741819

GameDev tools is problem of it
  1. Load more activity