Why do presenters almost ALWAYS use a Mac?

art3mis

Especially considering how buggy OpenGL is in OSX can anyone explain why presenters seem to always use a Mac with Houdini?

Even experienced Houdini veterans...

I would think a linux enabled laptop would be  the better option.

ie recent Procedural in Motion conference

https://www.sidefx.com/community/procedural-in-motion-presentations/

3 minutes ago, art3mis said:

well maybe I should say 'most'. Thought perhaps there was some hidden OSX feature that made Houdini perform better on Macs:) Pretty sure it doesn't crash any less often

It's still not true. You're simple finding data to fit your opinion.

Macs are used because they are fine for presentations, just.

I think it's not about performance at all, it's about convenience.
People who are doing these presentations do it in free time, at home or so, eventually using their own laptop, there is no comparison between work process and doing presentations.
On the other hand Apple is still expensive brand, lifestyle or something like that, people with status in some way must use this product to be more presented for an audience.
More over Apple software like keynote is very easy and powerful for making presentations.

On 16.10.2017 at 2:54 PM, Atom said:

I think the more important question is why do presenter almost always have a mustache.

And why do presenters/tutorial guys always start with a Geo node, divie inside, delete the file node and THEN make a grid or torus or sphere or some other shape that there ARE tools for already. Why is that? :)

23 hours ago, bonsak said:

And why do presenters/tutorial guys always start with a Geo node, divie inside, delete the file node and THEN make a grid or torus or sphere or some other shape that there ARE tools for already. Why is that? :)

It could be a rite of passage for making houdini tutorials, one must include those steps! :D

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2017 at 3:02 PM, bonsak said:

I'm not a presenter but I do that too. Force of habit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/18/2017 at 12:02 AM, bonsak said:

i think it's just generic naming...so if you use Geo node, then inside, you can use any geometry...when you go up, it is still logically named Geometry.

While if you start with say a Torus...inside, you change your mind and use Pighead instead...jump back up...it's still named Torus....not wrong...just not very intuitively named.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a Houdini presenter having used MacBook Pros for the last 10 years it has everything to do about video support, ruggedness and thin/light weight and direct access to key tools such as keynote from the very first MacBook Pro released. All of this up until now made up for les than ideal viewport experience with Houdini. Since I love to use Houdini live in many presentations and with Apple moving to Metal and the Houdini viewport experience not keeping up with windows and Linux, well things have now changed for me personally.

I am switching back to PC laptops and windows 10 because higher end PCs have come a very long way and most have thunderbolt and DVI out for easy setup to presentation monitors and projectors. Windows 10 is what it is but is far more manageable. I use Cygwin for shells so no issue there. Plus I want to run other tools for games support on the road. Unreal, Unity. Substance, redshift, etc.

Unfortunately MS still believes that MS Office still has value beyond the cost of the OS so you do have to pay and it is subscription now. Why MS? Why in this day and age? PowerPoint is not keynote but it too has come a long way.

Houdini performance is better and supports all viewport features with a decent Nvidia card and with the Mac you have little choice here.

——

Why do some Houdini presenters put down a geo Object, dive in, blast the file sop and start working, I don’t know. I call this the seven deadly clicks and is the main reason we added shelf tools. Familiarity I guess. I use shelf tools to add Primitives then dive in when presenting myself as I try to avoid needless complexity in Presentations. On my own, it’s a toss as to what I do,

——

i do not have a moustache. Nor do I see myself growing one in the near future but nothing wrong with that. Had a moustache all through High School and never once was I carded, if that means anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old school said:

i do not have a moustache. Nor do I see myself growing one in the near future but nothing wrong with that. Had a moustache all through High School and never once was I carded, if that means anything.

never mind the moustacha...with such an apt name....did you errrrrrm...'wag' the old school and get up to mischiefs instead ?

Thanks Jeff!

Look forward to your 16.5 masterclasses! If you're in the market for a Windows laptop, love my Dell XPS15, essentially a cheaper, more powerful Windows version of the Macbook Pro:)

Edited by art3mis

• 5 months later...

Maybe Houdini demo artists should start turning up with two-inch-thich desktop-replacement lapzillas, show up ready to do some simming.

When you start to sim, trigger the fog machine to cause thick, white "coolant vapour" to spill from the laptop vents.

I may be taking showmanship too far.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...