All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Hello, I want to run pyro/fluid sim on a farm which has its own job manager (i.e. not using HQueue). If I want to use this job manager (coalition) to render using Mantra, then I would write some scripts to send each frame to a different machine (i.e. it's doable). However, If I want to sim pyro volumes on the farm (and as far as I understand), I should have a tracker that exchanges volume data on the boundaries between machines --> How easy/difficult to setup If I were to use a different job manager? I still need to research the topic (initially test how things work using HQueue), but I just need a very rough estimate if this task is doable or hard? Thanks,
  3. Yesterday
  4. Title Sequence Needed for Short Film

Can't work with this personally, but can give some helpful time saving advice... get yourself a storyboard with a timing sound track. Maybe start with miming what you want to happen with your hands or some props or drawn on paper in front of a camera. Then edit the beats to what you like. This will save you tons of time and money and frustration. Buy maybe you already know this. I have no way of telling. If you do, then please ignore me.
  5. Integer Attribute from Group Name

dunno....but shouldn't you use expandprimgroup ? int [] expandprimgroup(<geometry>geometry, string groupname) btw, I think you should appending a 'number' to the array (ie. point index)...right now it looks like you're appending a string....but try expandprimgroup.
  6. Integer Attribute from Group Name

I read the thread, therefore shouldn't the following give me an array of all the primitives in GroupZero ? string grp_01 = detailintrinsic(0,"GroupZero"); s[]@primGrp = {}; foreach(string grp01;grp_01){ if(inprimgroup(0,grp01,@numprim)) append(s[]@primGrp,grp_01); }
  7. On Growth and Form

4 lesson . I learned more about colors, for-each and chops from ( 簡單黎講 C Plus Plus [廣東話, Cantonese] and Jaroslava Chalásová(vimeo).
  8. Replicating Coins

I did a little breakdown of the replicating effect in a blog post - check it out if you like! There's a free .hip to download included. https://www.markinglevfx.com/post/replicating-coins-hip-breakdown
  9. How to copy&reference all the param using python

Don't know if this is of interest to you, but there is actually already a feature built into Houdini that does that: Not sure if you can refresh it though via Python dynamically. Here's an old thread about it https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/34941/?page=1#post-290083. Houdini Wiki > Search for Import Blocks https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/windows/optype.html
  10. RS 3.0.13 and RS 3.0.16 tested and both fail. Houdini 18.0.287 Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "Redshift", line 1, in <module> File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.287/houdini/python2.7libs\roptoolutils.py", line 10, in createRenderNode rop = hou.node('/out').createNode(rop_type, exact_type_name=True) File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.287/houdini/python2.7libs\houpythonportion\ui.py", line 851, in decorator return func(*args, **kwargs) File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.287/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py", line 9251, in createNode return _hou.Node_createNode(*args, **kwargs) OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed. Invalid node type name I have absolutely no idea what is going on and I need to get a scene put together to test for work in the next 24 hours. Any clues?
  11. import hou import pprint parent = kwargs["node"] parent_path = ("../" + parent.name()) children = parent.children() child = children[0] child_path = ( parent_path + "/" + child.name()) node = child number = len(node.parmTuples()) def first(): for i in range(number): parm_tuple = node.parmTuples()[i] parm_template = parm_tuple.parmTemplate() parm_type = parm_template.type() if parm_type == hou.parmTemplateType.FolderSet: name = parm_template.name() label = parm_template.folderNames() type = parm_template.folderType() parent_node = parent group = parent_node.parmTemplateGroup() group.addParmTemplate(hou.FolderParmTemplate( name, label[0], folder_type=type)) parent_node.setParmTemplateGroup(group) elif parm_template in node.parmTemplateGroup().entries(): parent_node = parent group = parent_node.parmTemplateGroup() group.append(parm_template) parent_node.setParmTemplateGroup(group) else: print("None") first() def second(): for i in range(number): parm_tuple = node.parmTuples()[i] parm_template = parm_tuple.parmTemplate() parm_type = parm_template.type() if not (parm_type == hou.parmTemplateType.FolderSet) and not (parm_template in node.parmTemplateGroup().entries()): group = node.parmTemplateGroup() print(group) folder = group.containingFolder(parm_template).label() parent_node = hou.node('/obj/geo1/TestForPython_HDA') group = parent_node.parmTemplateGroup() folder = group.findFolder(folder) group.appendToFolder(folder, parm_template) parent_node.setParmTemplateGroup(group) second() def reference(): parm_count = len(node.parms()) pprint.pprint(parm_count) for i in range(parm_count): name = node.parms()[i] pprint.pprint(name) reference = (child_path + "/" + name.name()) handler = (parent_path + "/" + name.name()) channel = ('ch' + '(\"../' + name.name() + '\")') if name == node.parms()[i]: name.setExpression(channel) reference() I think I got it. There is some trouble sometimes.(Dont know why)But,needs time to figure out why it sometimes gets an error...
  12. Advecting curves help

So adding a mountain node and subdividing it got me a similar enough shape. What i'm struggling now is with the collision. How do you think it's the best way to go about it? I tried using a multisolver with a RBD/vellum solver to no avail...
  13. Map Box Node Texture

I've started playing around with the Mapbox Noce in the SideFX Labs Tool Box and its fantastic. But I've found a bit of a problem that I can't work out. Is there a way I can extract the texture or Cd into a compositing node then into a shader while keeping it all within Houdini with exporting anything? I'm using Houdini Apprentice anything I export out is limited resolution wise.
  14. Slow Motion raindrops falling down. Each time one is larger than the others. And inside a logo. So slow motion, freeze frame, then speeds up to drop down out of frame. Then the next logo does the same. 5 logos in total. Then main title. And into the film. 20 second sequence. This angle and speed from Gattaca is a good example. But with raindrops Gattaca Opening Delivery 31st March
  15. Help activate animation by geometry

yeah this i came with this solution of animating an group. the issue is that the blend animation is currently running and after the group activate it pop the anima.
  16. Python - setting list parm on USD/Solaris instancer

Oh boy, sometimes I am a bit stupid The value to set is "extsop" and not "External SOP". I don't know why I didn't check out the edit parameter interface panel before...
  17. LYNX | Free & OpenSource VFX Pipeline Tools

Update: LYNX tools are now easier to install via the new LYNX Update Manager, available on all platforms. See the updated GitHub (https://github.com/LucaScheller/VFX-LYNX) installation instructions for more information.
  18. Hi, Does anyone has an idea how to avoid the freeze when a shelf file changed by script and reloaded causes the Houdini to freeze ? Thanks in advance! SZ a part of the script : hou.shelves.loadFile( self.shelfFile) if force_all_refresh: hou.shelves.loadFile( self.shelfFile_def) hou.shelves.reloadShelfFiles()
  19. Dop impact data

I'm trying to recreate Atom's tutorial and has run into unexpected problem - when I transfer color attribute in SOPsolver my constraints are quickly disappearing. I mean all of them, not just the primitives close to impact points. It looks like infection propagation and my box collapses. What could possibly be wrong with my setup? rbd_impacts_01.hip
  20. On Growth and Form

3 lesson. (combining with tutorials from Hai Le and Matt Ebb) was to model something ..learned more about loft skin and normals, pretty much you can model everything just need to visualize (little bit forward)
  21. Best Linux Distribution for Houdini ?

check out MX linux 19, super easy 5 mins install and it's solid.
  22. Help activate animation by geometry

is this the effect you want ? vu_blend_shapes_anim.hiplc
  23. Integer Attribute from Group Name

solution here: (I just modified 1 line) ...here's a mock up file, you'll see every 4 prims is grouped together...then an int attrib is created for each prim (you can reenable the Cd line to visualise if you want) vu_udim.hiplc
  24. Mplay and python

Mplay saving comments on the images ?
  25. SideFX is Cracking!

The Houdini logo has an uncanny resemblance to the Lightwave logo. We know Newtek stole it from SideFX.
  26. I have a string attribute which is referencing a parameter from the groupRename sop. This string attribute is a detail attribute; problem is getting only the primitives for the group in a integer attribute. I tried, although a little silly; the following in the same detail attribute; i@udim01 = atoi("udim_01"); obviously no success. Therefore I tried placing the same line in another primitive wrangler, the results are empty. How can I get only the primitives which belong to the group from the group Name parameter as an integer attribute for primitives ?
  27. As a follow up, I created a simple shelf tool which implements the method I mentioned above. Here's a proof-of-concept:
  1. Load more activity