All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

yes meshligths are better than emissive materials but not as real light, especialy when it come to volumes. All these lights with volume contribution are probably not a good idea. Try to supress all volumes contribution and try to light your volume with a minimum of area lights to recreate your look. Then from these lights excude the scene or turn GI contribution to 0. In short a lighning for the scene and a lightning for the volume. The goal is to avoid GI interacting between the scene and all these light, with the volume. This kind of advice is from the devs themself. If you make still images it's not really a problem, but when it come to animation you have to take care how you build your lightning. Even with redshift [edit] Since it seems that all your materials are reflective but higly roughness you can try to reduce the maximum trace depth reflection to 2 even 1
  3. Today
  4. just if someone is interested, I got an answer from SideFX support: matrix xform = qconvert(orient); pretranslate(xform, -pivot); translate(xform, P); If you're applying that to a piece that already has a transform, its new transform would be `piece_xform * xform`;
  5. Yesterday
  6. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

Oh this is really informative I have a backround mesh light (the light coming out of space) with a 50 contribution scale, and a soft lesh shadow on the opposite side (behind the camera at 30 emission) the blue lights across the walls are at 15 and the others are actually low (bolts, scorch and sparks). So yeah. I emitted volumes with mesh lights EVERYWHERE jajaaj. I will have to take a look at the max sub sample intensity to know the math behind of it since I dont know anything about it but overall this is really usefull information I made the meshlights because im the documentation it said it was faster and cleaner with gi than emissives. I didnt know about volumes though. Experience for later works I gues huh jajaaj Edit: the volume is not emissive and every light is a mesh light
  7. Heightfield mask copy to geometry

Hi Gabor, the attribute from volume-node can transfer volume data. mask_to_grid.hipnc
  8. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

That's exactly what I meant. Transparent Volume on the foreground. The worst-case scenario for the render time. It seems normal to have a rendering 3x longer than the "simple" scene. is your volume material is emissive ? How much lights contribute to the volume ? In this case contrary to what I said above, it may be necessary to raise brute force samples. You can also try to clamp the rays, set the max sub sample intensity to 1 (Sample filtering section) Also avoid to light the volume with mesh lights. However 8mn for the "simple" scene seems too long for me. but honestly, it's hard to say what's going on, without looking at the file. So much interactions between materials, lights, and settings, in your project can lead to these results !
  9. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

sry for the late response, OD force doesnt let me upload pictures somehow so I used Imgur; Anyways: Simple (there is noise but "Acceptable") Complex with some noise on the volume: OMG ignore this last picture of coronavirus I seriously cant erase it from the post, I dont know how it got inserted
  10. Streaky Portal Effect [SOLVED]

That s really nice, looking forward your progress on this one
  11. Hello, I have a rigged character in H 18 and my Groom is not following the characters animation. This only occurs once I have placed a guidegroom modifier in the Groom node. If I bypass the guidegroom the animation works and the hair deforms properly. Of course, without the guidegroom the hair simply stands up and looks incorrect. I have attached a sample file highlighting the problem. How can I fix this? Test_Rig_hair_NoShaders.hiplc
  12. Vellum (repeat effect with fabric)

May trying using another approach than just Vellum?
  13. The little things about houdini

I've been using Houdini for about 2 years now (came from C4D also) and the one thing which drives me nuts is how sometimes things do not happen as expected. like I create a node and then click enter and I have no handles in view port, try again nothing, select move - enter no handles, rotate - enter no handles, scale - enter no handles, back to show handles - enter for third time then they pop up. ARG
  14. Redshift Render Settings Slow?

Can you show what you name a simple shot ? cause 8mn for 1280x720 simple shot seem a long time. For volumes it depends on density and transparency. A far opque dense smoke don't take much time. On the other side transparent vaporous volume can require high settting thus up the render time. It's cases where I use denoiser. Can you post a file of the 8mn "simple shot" ? I have a little station with 1660 super which is roughly equivalent to your 1070 ti
  15. some UI scripting questions

Hello, I want to build an UI plugin for houdini. Can you help me with some things: how do I change a parameter of the selected node in the parameter window programatically (for example parameter distance of the extrude node)? There must be a setter function which gets the specific path to the parameter and sets the parameter I guess?! get the parameter edit box under the position of the mouse (if one navigates to an edit box) or the unique path of the parameter under the mouse? set a global mouse hook (global in the sense that it gets all events of the houdini main UI)? Would be cool if someone could name some python objects which will help me. Preferable python+pyside. Thanks!
  16. The little things about houdini

I just imagine a long-time Houdini expert opening a hip file created by a bunch of "everything-must-be-simple" designers showing a "it's gotta work like my program" attitude.. He probably dies instantly
  17. Actually that s would be quite usefull to have it natively
  18. The little things about houdini

Respect to everyone here but in my humble opinion, its does not reflect today production reality to think you need 10 or 20 years of experience in Houdini to be able to reach your deadline with great results. That s not how this industry or the world works today and Sidefx is trying to reach a larger audience now, smaller team, with wider mixed experience. I believe it could be beneficial for everyone and i would be interested to have thing natively working as drag and drop instead of having prebuilt HDA to make a building, pipe or whatever. Not saying this to someone personally here but , Years passing, and the more you have specialized yourself in to software and the more technical, sometimes on the other side the narrow your vision could also become. That s why working with open team spirit is invaluable and will always be
  19. Hi guys, I have a rigid body sim with constraint network, I want to access the previous frame and current frame data of the constraints (impact, forces etc) inside a sop solver in DOPs. Currently when I call the attribute in a wrangle from the relationship geometry node I don't know if it's current frame data or previous frame. How to get both the current and previous frame data in a wrangle in sop solver in dops?
  20. Setting the edge color

Oh! That was it. Sorry, I am not good at English. I will refer to your answers. Thanks.
  21. Setting the edge color

well this sounds like you DO understand...
  22. Setting the edge color

You are very kind. Thank you.
  23. Setting the edge color

Um ... I don't understand, but I will render the edge colors individually as paths. And I am trying to give glow effect in comp.
  24. Houdini Hive 2020

8 hrs marathon
  25. Setting the edge color

Maybe it Helps ..You can convert Later in your mat(vop) . Just play with that Colors.hipnc
  26. Setting the edge color

i'm not sure if it's possible to edge-colour if your geo hasn't been converted to line...i mean unless you colour the edges that HAVE been converted...then comp in on top of your orig geo render ?
  27. Setting the edge color

Ultimately, what I want to do is the edge that I want in geometry to shine. Or ... it's to specify the color. (Like image) I am not sure if my approach is right. Thank you for answer.
  28. Setting the edge color

not sure how to answer that, i just selected manually in viewport, shift click edges sequentially...
  1. Load more activity