All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Is learning Processing a good idea and easily translatable to VEX? There are some excellent resources like Daniel Shiffman, who does a great job of explaining the foundations of programming.
  3. One thing that throws me off the road with VEX is issues with operations not being overaloaded/able or not have the ability to drive the type cast of a variable. Kills abstractness and makes for some cumbersome code. I've used in the past a trick to get the variable assignment to be programmatically driven(float, vector...etc) instead of scooped in a sucession of else ifs that lead to duplicated code: if(caracteristic == 0){ float var = attrib(0,class, name, @elemnum) ; < code body> } else if(caracteristic == 1){ vector2 var = attrib(0,class, name, @elemnum) ; < code body> } else if(caracteristic == 2){ vector var = attrib(0,class, name, @elemnum) ; < code body> } .... .... .... Instead just have `chs("type")` var = attrib(0,class, name, @elemnum) ; < code body> Which will result in var being casted based on parameter, and also not being scoped and therefore no code duplication for each case. Now while seems great, I've noticed it takes way more time to cook than the else ifs way.- Therefore I was wondering if there is a way to do this driven variable assignment with preprocessors. The code still might look ugly but at least the execution part will be a single one for all types. #define var 100.0 This for example sets var as a float. But I wonder how I can have something where an attribute or parm, can drive the definition. Thanks
  4. Today
  5. Na, all-core boost when properly cooled, stable, is about 4.4 or 4.5 I believe. Even though I have a beastly Castle 360ex cooler I just did a pretty tame 4.2 or 4.3 because I just don't trust myself very much, lol.
  6. ......32 threads..? is the 4.7GHz boost speed on all cores or one ? if I win the lotto....1st item on shopping list is a Ryzen
  7. I am with you on that. I had a Ryzen 5 2600, which isn't terrible, but just upgraded to a 3950x because I didn't feel like waiting, lol.
  8. no worries ps: I'm still on an ancient rig i7 4770K...hence I age a bit while waiting for fractures
  9. Ok, my apologies for wasting your time. I will try and figure out what is going on, on my end. I appreciate you taking the time to look.
  10. if I open your file, without changing anything, the boxes look fine, the tube looks fine...add a new torus...looks fine.
  11. unless it's your material displacing stuff ?
  12. It started the instant I opened it up and flagged any of those primitives for view. It happened right away. I think something strange might be going on, on my end though. The group and attribute display menu was not turning the window on and off. (https://i.imgur.com/HoKodVP.mp4) Someone else took a look earlier to see if they could see why that menu wasn't working, and it worked fine for them. So if the primitives look fine to you, then something is up that I have to try and figure out. As for why I have done anything I have done, it is because I have pretty much no idea what I am doing. This is the first thing I have ever made in Houdini, so I have no idea if what I am doing is good, bad, or even correct. I am just trying things out to learn what they do and how to do things. The fracture only takes about 5-10 seconds to complete, so I didn't think much of it. Thanks, -MH
  13. hmm...what am i looking for here ? at what stage does the error appear ? my pet peeve...when testing....why do ppl insist on using 3 levels of fracture ? makes no sense to sit around waiting for the fracture to finish...when you really want a simple fracture to debug what's wrong.
  14. Ah, yes, that is probably a good idea. Here is the file. Any of the current two boxes or the tube seem to do it. (or if I made a new one, as well) rigid_body.hiplc
  15. yes.....my idea is you upload the file.
  16. I am not sure what is going on here, but when I make a new primitive, without adjusting any settings or anything, the edges are too long as seen below: I can't figure out what is going on with it. It must be a setting of some sort that I just can't find. Anyone have any ideas?
  17. Within a DOPNet I have a SOPSolver, within the SOPSolver I'm using a point wrangler to only retrieve the velocity using @opinput1_v.z = 2.3; but the attribute is not being imported into the wrangler for the second input of the point wrangler ?
  18. Hi all! There's 1 week left to register for my Mastering Destruction 8-week class on CGMA! In supplemental videos and live sessions we'll be focusing on some of the awesome new features in Houdini 18, and exploring anything else you might be interested in, such as vehicle destruction. For those that haven't seen me post before, I'm an FX Lead at DNEG, and previously worked at ILM / Blue Sky / Tippett. Destruction is my specialty, with some highlights including Pacific Rim 2, Transformers, Jurassic World, and Marvel projects. I've also done presentations for SideFX at FMX/SIGGRAPH/etc, which are available on their Vimeo page. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or drop me a message! https://www.cgmasteracademy.com/courses/25-mastering-destruction-in-houdini https://vimeo.com/keithkamholz/cgma-destruction
  19. I appreciate the reply. I am not wanting to have it completely hidden, but I also want more viewport real estate. I am just looking to be able to shrink it down a tad more. It seems like it would just have a minimum value somewhere that could be adjusted? I am pretty new to Houdini, so I am not sure yet what all is involved with those types of modifications.
  20. addpoint(VEX) help adding permanent point

As a houdini user I had a little chuckle over this :D:D:D:D
  21. Extract Transform VEX Variant

vector p = point(0,"P",0); // pivot position vector u = set(0,1,0); vector n = normalize(v@v); vector o = cross(u,n); matrix3 m3 = set(o.x, o.y, o.z, u.x, u.y, u.z, n.x, n.y, n.z); //3D Rotation Matrix matrix m4 = set(o.x, o.y, o.z, 0, u.x, u.y, u.z, 0, n.x, n.y, n.z, 0, p.x, p.y, p.z, 1); //3D Transformation matrix If you dont have any vectors then you can build it using 3 points reference. Let me know if you need help for this too
  22. Dynamic Bullet Constraints

Thank you, this was very helpful, it was more tricky than I thought Here is my less complex implementation but also more transparent dynamic_constraints_bullet.hiplc
  23. Yesterday
  24. Volumesample with Noise

hei nuki, sorry to bother you- did u figure it out? can you share your node setup? i can't understand what you mean by "the worley noise can just be subtracted from the sdf values" thank you. have a great day, lorenzo
  25. Scripted access to Bundle panel

@Feather Thanks for your reply. it is not a smart bundle.
  26. whatabout clicking the little down arrow just to the side ? that collapses the window...dunno if that suits you cos it collapses the whole thing. Click it again to bring back up.
  27. Water/whitewater flicker with redshift

Yes sure I've added some, but in the first render I thought it wasn't necessary since I didn't expect to get some flicker..
  28. Water/whitewater flicker with redshift

Also, you may render with AOVs (passes) and it can help to understand which part of the shading produce an issue.
  1. Load more activity