Houdini 19 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

- animation Mixer/Sequencer a la XSI/Maya

- camera Mixer/Sequencer a la XSI/Maya

- parallel rig evaluation like in Maya https://download.autodesk.com/us/company/files/UsingParallelMaya/2020/UsingParallelMaya.pdf

- better outliner like in Blender/Maya , with ability to parent, organize, sort, rename all elements in your scene in a Hierarchical way without using the node tree.

- nodal context to create GLSL viewport shaders from nodes + glsl wrangle like maya shaderfx or babylon.js editor

- ability to export GLSL shading trees to UE/Unity

- 2d post process in the OpenGL viewport [ bloom, grain, vignet, CC ]

- reflection/light probe + screen space reflection for viewport

- ROP openGL that actually work as expected with 100% viewport fidelity

- MOPS kind of OTL integrated by default a la gamedevtool , but in the idea to have mographdevtool

- COPS on steroid

- CHOPS on steroid

- do not force USD workflow by default let the choice to use it or not, small boutique might not need USD

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 4

- Stability , please no more crash when just changing viewport panel maximize to normal...

- Viewport performance on steroids. Eeve and redshift a good example... Key words of 2020 were virtual production with increase productivity, real time and interactive feedback. Try to figure why... 

- Performance enhancement. Basic operation like subd should be like multithread bevel which doesn't get randomly crazy with inset...

- Enhancement on daily functionality: Things like Drag and Drop , search tab feature for wrangle preset, viewport occlusion preview is a joke... When importing an geo, will like to be able to see  preview capture inside my nodal instead of a pet or car sticker, even if I love animal . Think importanting 50 megascan asset to do your layout and see why you would like such simple but useful things by default :)

- Dynamic and interactive sky and clouds painting like in Unreal, Real time material painting with decal placement, dedicaced better cloth brush sculpting. 

- Production-ready Python 3 version

-  Chop, Cops need attention...

- GPU support and not via external effort (Axiom)

-

Edited by vinyvince
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In additional ,

-Smarter memory management, why houdini could spend 30min sot save a file after an heavy computation? 

-Better substance integration.  Have you already to compute only 2 maps at 4k from subtance sbsar files?  While in the current implementation, it slow as hell, not all useful parameters are exposed by default,blabla...

-Being doing env work for a decade, building one in unreal with dragdrop, Paint material like landscape surfaces on the  sly with mask makes a huge dramatic difference for productivity.  adding and interactive placement of dozen and dozen of Decals in Houdini... Well forget it but fact is i need all of that all the time

- Im not only interested in going to Unreal, i would also like to get thing from Unreal in case the engine doesn't allow me to address all my client's need.

- Didn't want but can't stop myself of asking again, please Better GPU render viewport, text search support for wrangler preset .

Saving attribute vop preset does not work to, need fix...

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

• 3 weeks later...

Things that would make life so much easier:

1. In manual mode truly don't cook anything!

2. If  ESC is pressed just chill and stop whatevery you where doing.

Edited by Drughi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bennell said:

Last I checked, you can only edit the guides.

The grooming workflow from H16 and up is now SOP based and not a rendertime procedural by default. If you want to sculpt on the final hairs that will be rendered you can, its just not that fast. 

On 3/29/2021 at 6:56 PM, abvfx said:

The grooming workflow from H16 and up is now SOP based and not a rendertime procedural by default. If you want to sculpt on the final hairs that will be rendered you can, its just not that fast. 

Any videos that show you can?

be able to change the same parameters on multiple selected nodes, expecially in the obj context.

This is useful when turning on or off multiple lights or setting common parameters on containers or when takes are going to be created and it's needed to change lot of parameters on multiple nodes for example.

I see this useful also in other context.

It can be very helpful to have also some sort of indicators (like the common text info indicator at the bottom of the network maybe?) top that shows how many nodes are being effected.

2 hours ago, majinpu said:

be able to change the same parameters on multiple selected nodes, expecially in the obj context.

This is useful when turning on or off multiple lights or setting common parameters on containers or when takes are going to be created and it's needed to change lot of parameters on multiple nodes for example.

I see this useful also in other context.

It can be very helpful to have also some sort of indicators (like the common text info indicator at the bottom of the network maybe?) top that shows how many nodes are being effected.

Well all of this is already in Houdini and has been there for a while, unless I misunderstood you ..

multiple_nodes.jpg

1 hour ago, br1 said:

Well all of this is already in Houdini and has been there for a while, unless I misunderstood you ..

multiple_nodes.jpg

O yes indeed there is sorry!
Setting up a custom layout with custom net view parented to specific parameters windows you lose the chance of modify multiple nodes! 
I'm going to send an RFE to sidefx

thx @br1

• Marc locked this topic