All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hey all, I'm super new to Houdini with a background in game development. I was going through tutorials on pluralsight and I'm loving it so far. So I've been expanding on the content and diving into Vex, and I hit a snag trying to run a Solver that changes generated point colours, because I wanted read from and modify persistent data on a separate point outside of the solver network. I simply created details on the point in an Attribute Wrangle in dataHolders and thought it would be easy to read and write to them from an attribute wrangler infectedPoints in the solver. The problem is the vex script in the attribute wrangler can't actually read the details ie: int pointsVaccinatedSoFar = detail("../../../dataHolders/dataHolderPoint","pointsVaccinated",0); int maxPointsToBeVaxxed = detail("../../../dataHolders/dataHolderPoint","maxPointsToBeInitiallyVaccinated",0); printf("points Vaxxed so far: %g\n",pointsVaccinatedSoFar); printf("points Vaxxed so far: %g\n",maxPointsToBeVaxxed); The font node pulls the details properly and prints them. But the printf always yields 0 when maxPointsToBeVaxxed should be 10. I'm guessing I'm breaking some kind of data context/scope protocol in Vex buuut I don't know enough about Houdini yet to really understand what's going on if that's the case. Or I guess I'm not using detail() properly, or both Any help would be appreciated! I'm using Houdini Indie so if you guys can read it I can upload the .hiplc file. Thanks!
  3. Today
  4. Ray node scale input

Thanks Sean, Yeah it does. I had setup my color wrong in the point vop. I had a white to red ramp instead of a black to red ramp!
  5. How would I go about altering the velocity/speed or heading of my DOP agents manually? Are these attributes read only? Is there a way I can directly customise them using a wrangle instead of updating target points and attracting my agents to them? I would like to add some random steering to my guys and I would like to have more control over their speed and add variation but I am not sure how to approach this. If anyone could help me with this, I would be very grateful
  6. There might be an easier way to do this; I would love to see one. The problem is that `v@prev_P` was being set on each substep, including the last one right before the frame is done, so `v@prev_P` is returning the value 9/10ths of the way along. In order to fix this, `v@prev_P` has to only be set on the first substep of each frame. The expression to determine the step number looks like this: `i@stepnum += int( rint( (1/(@TimeInc * steps) * steps) * @TimeInc ) );` where `steps` is the number of substeps on the SOP Solver. Next, I check if we're on the first substep of a frame: `if(((i@stepnum - 1) % steps) == 1) { v@prev_P = @P; }` The `i@stepnum - 1` is necessary because the SOP Solver is set to cook on creation frame. I'm attaching an example file. prev_P_example_substeps.hip
  7. I just compared my file and yours, I realised the problem is the substeps, I used a substep of 10 in your file and the same issue happened, how could I fix this problem?
  8. To make random geometry instancing in dopnet

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniDops#Emit_packed_prims_into_RBD_sim
  9. To make random geometry instancing in dopnet

enable Add Text Attributes, then make use of @textindex ?
  10. Hi guys, I made several text by font node and I want to pop out them randomly. I thought about that make some variable to each of them like 1,2,3 and rondomly selecting in wrangle node. but I have really poor logical thinking and It is taking lots of time. Help me with it plz ! Have a good day and sorry for my poor english too :S
  11. isn't it simple as this ?
  12. I did offset the points along the Normal direction to fix the inaccuracies of the Ray test intersection and all is working now thanks again Ioannis ray_project_cull_self_offset.hip
  13. You just need to introduce a little ray bias into your Ray SOP. A value of 0.1 got me pretty close. If all you're trying to do is remove points that are backfacing the camera, there's a simpler way. Unique the points on your mesh using a Facet SOP or however you like, create point normals via a Normal SOP, scatter, then just use a Delete SOP in Normals mode. There's an attribute there that accepts a camera input to determine backfaces. As long as the scattered points inherit your mesh's point normals, this will work.
  14. Yesterday
  15. Hi Henry, Thanks a lot for the file it is working fine as long as the points are based on different geometry when i use the same object to construct the points there are a lot of inaccuracies normally all the points that are facing the camera should be visible please have a look at the file Thanks in advance.Ioannis ray_project_cull_self.hip
  16. take a look at this file... it's using a Wrangle to create the projection vector to the origin for each point, and a Ray SOP to actually do the projection. ray_project_cull.hip
  17. Hello to all, this is my first post I am starting to learn houndini i try to convert some of my projects done with grasshopper i want to do a line mesh intersection test to cull points that are behind a mesh obstacle for each point i need to create a line to the camera origin and then check if the lines intersect with the mesh if true then i need to remove those points Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance. Ioannis
  18. Dynamic constraint network creation

https://sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-dynamic-fracture/
  19. use v@scale, it's built into the copy SOP
  20. Houdini Book?

Found it on the sideFx website, seems like it just moved to a new spot on the site https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/softimage-to-houdini-transition-guide/ direct link https://www.sidefx.com/media/uploads/tutorial/jordi/softimage2houdiniguides_all.pdf
  21. Intersection with primitive along vector

yeah sorry it wasn't a direct answer coz I'm not a VEX expert myself...but I was hoping that would provide you with a spark with the thought process, it did !!!
  22. Hey all, I am looping a piece of geometry along a curve, and am controlling the scale of each copy using @pscale --itself being controlled via a ramp Is there any way to increase the functionality of pscale so that I can scale the object separately in the x and y axis? id like to have control over the x and y scaling parameters separately if possible. ive attached a scene file. Thanks! Modeling_Ramps_upl.hipnc
  23. duhhh, forgot to attach file. prev_P_example.hip
  24. might be some details lost in your exact setup? hard to tell without a HIP. here's a working example.
  25. Just wanted to add a quick something to this: you can actually access another input's attributes without having to use the point function. Appending opinput# before the attribute allows you to designate which input to access. v@opinput1_P would access the second input's P attribute for instance. So you could actually get the distance with a single line f@dist = distance(@P, v@opinput1_P);
  26. Intersection with primitive along vector

Okay, I figured it out. It was because for some calculations the point was past the point of the dir vector, so it just returned 0 because I assume it wasn't 'long' enough. I multiplied it by 10 and it works fine now
  1. Load more activity