Welcome to v8!

Marc

Hey all

If you're reading this then the upgrade has been successful! There have been a fair number of changes in this upgrade, and here they are.

The forum software is new (obviously).

We have cleaned up and removed some older forums that weren't being used. The topics have been merged into other more relevant forums, so all the data still exists.

We have also shuffled around the forums to better reflect the state of the industry today (ie. the jobs forums are higher up and have more prominence; the Houdini forums have been reorganised and renamed; etc.)

Some new forums have been created ie.

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/forum/66-education/

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/forum/68-pipeline/

They seem fairly self explanatory :).

In addition to the forum upgrades, we've rolled out a new blog on our home page. There are quite a few new things to read, and it's been well maintained by Leo (thanks Leo ;)). If you feel like you have a journalistic bent, then please let us know, we'd love for you to be a part of the new homepage.

There is also a completely new gallery. It's been written from the ground up to be simpler, easier to use and hopefully faster. Please make use of it to show off all your amazing images that you create in Houdini. It will be activated in a few days time.

And last but not least, in the next few days the wiki will be replaced by a completely new wiki. We've converted all the mediawiki pages to dokuwiki. Dokuwiki is easier to use, and more importantly not a complete mess like mediawiki is.

So there you are. It's a complete overhaul, I hope you enjoy it. All the changes have been made with you in mind, to make things easier to find, easier to read and hopefully easier to contribute. od|force is one of the finest communities on the net, so thanks for all your contributions, it's certainly nothing without you.

Thanks and have fun!

Marc

• Like 4

another thing :

- i have in mind to upload on YT ( videos ) time after time small tips i used / discovered during my projects .

since there isnt any 'tips-n-tricks' section , should i post them on 'Education' section or that is left for announcing commercial tutorials ?

!thanks

- i have in mind to upload on YT ( videos ) time after time small tips i used / discovered during my projects .

since there isnt any 'tips-n-tricks' section , should i post them on 'Education' section or that is left for announcing commercial tutorials ?

The education forum is absolutely the perfect place to put those. You can also embed the videos into the posts you put up.

Thanks

M

The new site is very slick, but seems to have more whitespace than before so less posts fit on a page without scrolling.

I've run through my settings and don't see a way to change this (aside from shrinking my browser display, which will affect every webpage so is not an option I'm keen on) - is it possible to add an option to adjust spacing?

The education forum is absolutely the perfect place to put those. You can also embed the videos into the posts you put up.

yes . the ability to embed videos and have those videos uploaded into a place where 'disk drive space isnt a problem' made me think about that like a very convenient way .

thanks for clarifying the section's purpose too .

The avatars in forum listings look good. Will take a couple days to get used to :)

EDIT: Btw would be very cool if we could get certain amount of time before a post is marked for "edited". I think vb_bulletin forum allows 5 mins where editings will not be marked in that time after the post is created.

Edited by magneto

I just noticed a thing.

When browsing View New Content and licking on a thread you get taken to the first post on Page 1. It would be good if it either kept track on what post was the last you read in the thread and jumped to the next or if it just jumped to the last page.

I think i recall the last version of the foruming doing this.

When browsing View New Content and licking on a thread you get taken to the first post on Page 1. It would be good if it either kept track on what post was the last you read in the thread and jumped to the next or if it just jumped to the last page.

I think i recall the last version of the foruming doing this.

I noticed the same. Now you have to click the circle/star before the thread name to get to the newest unread post. I guess that's ok, just different. (although I would prefer the earlier behaviour, given a chance)