LaidlawFX

Houdini 19 Wishlist

On 18/11/2019 at 10:14 AM, Njordy said:

3. Texture painting. Hear me out, nobody expects Mari/Substance  level of painting, it's not for that. But a lot of times it's beneficial to paint something basic and not be dependant on topology. For example: I don't wanna go into painting app just to put a few tiny dots and the cat's face in order for fur to be colored by it later.

In the feature list in the sneak peak there is something listed you might like. 

Paint Sop is now stroke based. It's independent of resolution. 

If I would suggest something. It would be more options for animators to streamline their workflow and have quality of life changes. No point having amazingly low level control for TDs and riggers if no one animates in the software. Can we wean people off Maya?

Apart from that I love what sesi are doing 

An option to turn off weight normalization when painting capture weights using Capture Layer Paint, so we can use smooth and reduce paint modes without the need to fix the unwanted weights produced by it. Post normalization is fine. Interactive one feels like maya in 1999 when it modifies all bone weights when trying to paint only one of them - it is even worse as there is no user friendly bone weights lock.

Yes, unfortunately Houdini does feel pre-2000s era in this sector. Houdini lacks an exhaustive weights editor, some of the tools are confusing and/or don't produce reliable and repeatable results. Mirror Capture SOP for example, is a mess in this regard and also it's very confusing in its documentation, for mea at least - none of the listed modes in the Behavior list, docs explanations or behavior in the viewport, make practical sense to me. The approach of "from" and "to" lists of bones/deformers has less interactivity than a command line. So we're pre-1980s here. The only better thing in Houdini vs XSI (again, a defunct software that had this nailed since at least 15 yrs ago) is its initial capture result with its biharmonic solution.

And there are other problems related to character animation work, which I mentioned with other occasions and won't do it again here.

xsi_weight_editor.jpg

A coordinate field in Curve SOP that would like more like Add SOP / points  or the geometry spreadsheet.

It's user unfriendly to edit in its current form, unless you edit it in the geometry spreadsheet, which can be confusing (SOP becomes frozen, and you have 2 different sets of coordinates.)

7 hours ago, AlSk said:

Dark mode for the documentation.

Funny I just submitted this a few days ago. So far the best bet is to use the dark reader extension for the external help which is the not perfect but it has its own pros.

• Like 1